[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Micro USB 2.0 > USB 3.1 Type C

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0713.jpg (251KB, 1920x1060px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0713.jpg
251KB, 1920x1060px
Micro USB 2.0 > USB 3.1 Type C
>>
>>57392863
In every way but bandwidth
>>
>>57393188
and supplying power

and being reversible
>>
>>57393197
>being reversible

this is a meme
>>
>>57393550
>everything since I can remember has had an orientation, now with the advent of SJWs and genderfluid attentionseekers, they're coming for my non-reversible bus!
>>
>>57393571
it's of negligible benefit and comes with substantial drawbacks

reversibility is not worth the hassle, just clearly label the correct orientation
>>
>>57393588
>substantial drawbacks
such as?
i bet youve never even owned anything with a usb-c but youre going to claim it breaks more often which is a blantant lie
>>
>>57393588
>substantial drawbacks

such as?
>>
>>57393588
What are the drawbacks? Never actually considered the internal wiring changes and just figured drives would switcheroo when plugged in.
>>
>>57393604
you just answered your own question
>>
>>57393591
>>57393598
>>57393604
If you plug it in the wrong way all your data ends up upside down.
>>
>>57393604
>>57393626
different wiring isn't a drawback
>>
>>57393632
do i have to always plug it in reverse in australia
>>
>>57393632
sʞɔns ʇɐɥʇ llǝʍ
>>
>>57392863
kinda miss the one direction cables already
thanks for the pic
>>
File: 1472948378130.jpg (199KB, 900x427px) Image search: [Google]
1472948378130.jpg
199KB, 900x427px
>>57392863
>I perpetuate lies

I got a op3 today.
You are the most wrong thing I have encountered all day, and I went to Little Caesars today.
>>
>>57392863
Only in terms of nostalgia.

A USB 3.1 Type C cable can carry power, data, and DisplayPort signal. It is reversible. It is a royalty-free standard. It is compact enough to fit on almost all portable devices.

If all goes well, it will also soon be ubiquitous.
>>
File: cables.jpg (50KB, 529x533px) Image search: [Google]
cables.jpg
50KB, 529x533px
>>57393636
having to wire it in such a way that it's reversible is a drawback because it places constraints on the hardware

just visually you can see that the standard type A USB connector allows for larger contact area between conductors, more separation between the wires and less wires total, by definition you need double the wires to make it reversible

make it a one-way plug allows for a more robust connection and a cheaper cable
>>
>>57393706
Are you retarded? The wire swap happens in the cable head...
>>
>>57393706
Those still aren't drawbacks. A drawback would constitute some trade off in performance, which doesn't exist.
>>
File: cables.jpg (37KB, 591x259px) Image search: [Google]
cables.jpg
37KB, 591x259px
>>57393731
If you look at a Type C connector, the wires on the top mirror the ones at the bottom

If you abandon reversibility you cut the needed wires in half

>>57393746
Those are certainly drawbacks, smaller contact area/wires places limits on voltage and current that the cable can provide, it places mechanical limits on the strength of the cable, smaller cables closes together are also more likely to short, etc
>>
>>57393774
>mirror the ones at the bottom
They literally do not.
>>
>>57393706
>>57393731
>>57393774

All wrong. Resistors on the CC lines are used to determine cable orientation (i.e. if side A is flipped relative to side B) and the top/bottom channels are switched by a multiplexer in the type-C PHY on IIRC the downstream port. The CC lines aren't wasted because they're also used to communicate with the in-cable controller for active cables (i.e. specialty long-distance cables that need built-in repeaters) and with the USB-PD controller for power delivery.
>>
File: mirror.jpg (40KB, 579x194px) Image search: [Google]
mirror.jpg
40KB, 579x194px
>>57393785
I guess that's not the best diagram to explain it, let me try this one

Notice the connector has 24 pins out but only 8 cables going out, 2 wires for power mirrored into 8 pins vertically and horizontally, and six remaining wires for data spread out over 16 pins
>>
>>57393774
>limits on voltage and current that the cable can provide
...is that why type C has more bandwidth and can deliver more power than type A?

>mechanical limits on the strength of the cable
you can't seriously think that the size of the connector has more bearing on its strength than the materials used and design

>smaller cables closes together are also more likely to short
....do you have any idea how close the circuits on a microprocessor are.......? again, you can't seriously think this
>>
>>57393949
circuits on a micro processor aren't a good comparison because you're not constantly inserting and removing microprocessors

a connector is constantly being plugged and unplugged, that strains both the connector and the receptacle, it's self evident that the simpler a connector is, the longer it will last
>>
>>57393977
right, and the reason the switch was made to reversible connectors is because their designs will last longer, especially in mobile devices.

right now it's evident that you don't know what you're talking about, and I'm not even the engineering team that, collectively, spent decades designing this connector so that you could go take a shit and daydream up reasons why it's bad while you're bored on the shitter.
>>
>>57393746
all those extra connectors could otherwise be used for bandwidth maybe?
>>
>>57393977
This has nothing to do with your argument about thinner wires shorting more easily, thats still bullshit. A reversable connector does not make the whole thing more unstable, thats just something you are dreaming anon. Also usb-c is rated for way more insertions than usbA or B
>>
Type B is the best USB connector. Its sturdy as fuck. I like the USB 3.0 version of it as well.
>>
>>57393910
I have a USB-C PHY design on my desk right now and this post is correct.

USB-C is superior in every way.
>>
>>57394398
pic?
>>
>>57392863
Apple will licence Lightning under the same USB licence and it will become mandatory for next Thunderbolt in few years.
screencap this.
>>
>>57393604
I often get people coming into my shop complaining their iPhone wire's become all twisted up, since they repeatedly stick it in without straightening it out first. Though this is more an issue with people's negligence rather than the tech itself.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.