[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the reasoning behind using a physical calculator when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: misc-windows-7-calculator.png (36KB, 418x413px) Image search: [Google]
misc-windows-7-calculator.png
36KB, 418x413px
>>
whats the reason for having a keyboard when on screen keyboards exist?
>>
You can't take a computer everywhere. Simple math.
>>
>>57385141
Doesn't run come with win10
>>
>>57385160
Yes you can. They are called phones.
>>
ease and comfort of use.

first, launch the calculator. you may know that Win+R and "calc" will do it, but a noob will have to click their way through the start menu.
then, if you want to use a calculator to input some numbers into another program, you have to either keep switching between them (via alt-tab, for example).

with a physical calculator, if you keep it close, just reach for it, calculate whatever you want, and you're done.
>>
>>57385141
In the real world, basically none, although I just use my phone calculator or a graphing calculator emulator on my phone. If you're in school you'll probably be required to buy a physical calculator for exams (and most likely a way overpriced specific make/model)
>>
>>57385141
Because my TI-89 Titanium let's me plot and solve systems of equations easily without lugging around a laptop.

Let's me easily plot simple antenna patterns in polar coordinates as well.
>>
>>57385191
Calculators are computers though.
>>
>>57385191

Why would you take a phone with you everywhere?
>>
>>57385273
But why carry around a one-function computer in your pocket when you can carry around a computer with countless functions, which also does that one said function just as well, if not better than the one-function computer, and is also the same size?
>>
Those functions aren't mapped to keybindings and it's much slower to use them with a mouse than to press a button.
>>
>>57385191
>phone runs out of battery while not using it as a calculator
>need to calculate something
This happened to me, except with my phone's camera instead of a calculator.
>>
>>57385339
>he doesnt have a charger with him

calculators run out of batteries too
>>
If youre going to use your computer as a calculator you should be using a math program like Maple and not some simple calculator emulator
>>
>>57385285
Some of us are gainfully employed
>>
>>57385303
I adore pushing physical buttons.
It's never enough for me to push the real deal.
>>
>>57385355
You're not calculating with a calculator all day.
>>
>>57385355
>>
>>57385391
If you have a phone that doesn't last you at least 1 full day without charging you have a shitty phone. My phone never "just dies" out of no where
>>
>>57385303
battery life - not only longer, but also independent from your phone's battery
uninterrupted operation, unlike a phone that's multi-function multi-task
>does that one said function just as well, if not better than the one-function computer
projecting and implying
>>
>>57385141
calculator utility programs on computers dont even have graphing like good scientific calculators
>>
>>57385141
Portability. I work in a wearhouse and wear gloves. A small basic calculator with physical buttons is a god send for adding and multiplying thousands of items for ASN's.
>>
>>57385425
Most people still use B&W calculators because color screen calculators use too much battery. A B&W calculator will last many months on one set of batteries.
>>
File: 1478119665295-g.png (351KB, 534x500px) Image search: [Google]
1478119665295-g.png
351KB, 534x500px
>>57385462
This
>>
>>57385425
>backpedaling
>>
File: .png (35KB, 167x158px) Image search: [Google]
.png
35KB, 167x158px
>>57385430
Just Werks
>>
>>57385141
If you ever tried to use it for more then basic instructions, you would prefer the physical calculator.

The fact that you can't type out the full calculation is a HUGE drawback.
>>
>>57385603
youve obviously never used that program, it was made in the early 90s when just being able to graph something was a wow feature
>>
>>57385738
yeah...
i didnt say anything about the quality though
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.