[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are these terms? noob here

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 9

File: mein head2.png (322KB, 591x716px) Image search: [Google]
mein head2.png
322KB, 591x716px
Wtf is "bash", "gnu" and terms revolving around those words? I know its something to do with linux but I tried googling them but I keep getting stupid memes and no direct answer

I want to learn but im getting confused
>>
>>57382041
GNU is one of the major components of GNU/Linux: An operating system whose kernel is based on UNIX architecture

Bash is the Bourne Again Shell, a derivative of the Bourne Shell.
>>
Weebs confirmed for fucking retarded
>>
>>57382041
How do you manage to live?
>>
>>57382041
>bash
noun
a heavy blow.
"a bash on the head"

>gnu
noun
a large dark antelope with a long head, a beard and mane, and a sloping back.
"In eastern Africa, they mostly hunt Thomson's gazelles, but they will also attack calves, warthogs, zebras, impalas, and the young of large antelopes such as the gnu ."
>>
File: 1472857878947.png (82KB, 594x595px) Image search: [Google]
1472857878947.png
82KB, 594x595px
>>57382041
Are you even trying?
>>
File: happy racoon.png (276KB, 424x412px) Image search: [Google]
happy racoon.png
276KB, 424x412px
>>57382052
What is UNIX architecture? I know all linux stuff is based off it or something

So what is Bourne Shell? Is it just "the original" command line interface or something?

Sorry I really dont know much

>>57382064
These things aren't really compulsory for a regular person to know so I don't see why its surprising

>>57382079
Im not baiting lol I genuinely want to understand this stuff
>>
File: 1478062154058.png (63KB, 201x211px) Image search: [Google]
1478062154058.png
63KB, 201x211px
>>57382041
Because of FUCKING idiots like you posters like >>57382054 exist, mocking anybody who watches (or just uses) anime and anime/manga-related pictures. FUCK you. "meme"? Fuck off away from this place you fucking brain-dead ingrate.
>>
File: SERiousLY.png (114KB, 680x439px) Image search: [Google]
SERiousLY.png
114KB, 680x439px
>>57382102
>Hey look at me im smarter than you because I know a couple of terms that anyone could learn in 10 seconds if they bothered to contribute anything useful
>You SERIOUSLY don't know everything? KILL YOURSELF

Wow you are a great human being
>>
>>57382100
>What is UNIX architecture? I know all linux stuff is based off it or something
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix-like

>So what is Bourne Shell? Is it just "the original" command line interface or something?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourne_shell
>>
>>57382112
>a couple of terms that anyone could learn in 10 seconds
Apparently not OP
>>
>>57382112
>being able to look something up on wikipedia makes one smart

sasuga /pol/ scum
>>
File: akarin unsure.png (191KB, 419x398px) Image search: [Google]
akarin unsure.png
191KB, 419x398px
>>57382113
I see.... is this why C programming is usually done on unix machines? Is it because the C shell is somehow closely related to the Unix shell?
>>
How exactly does windows operate differently from unix based machines? They both have gui's and cli's, so what gives?
>>
>>57382151
C programming is usually done on UNIX machines because C is the language originally created for UNIX.
>>
>>57382041
> Wtf is "bash"
Bourne again shell.
> "gnu"
It doesn't make sense, but it's a term for programs which are essential for Linux.
>>
>>57382151
No. C/C++ was historically done on UNIX-likes because the tools were better.

Nowadays that's not so much the case, but gcc had its origins on Linux and has always had an important role.
>>
File: octopus typing.gif (254KB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
octopus typing.gif
254KB, 350x197px
>>57382198
>>57382195
>>57382174
I see ty

So what exactly is the difference between unix based operating systems like gnu, archlinux, gentoo and why do people say the meme "install gentoo" as if its superior or something? How does it compare and to windows/apple stuff and why is it better?

The only reason I could think of is that unix based system allow you to configure the kernel specifically so you dont install all drivers or applications to make it run fast? Or that unix based system "connect" better to the hardware and optimize components instead of household operating systems like windows/apple that are made just for simple use? Also stuff like gentoo being free and all
>>
File: accelerator.png (298KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
accelerator.png
298KB, 1024x576px
>>57382253
a general answer could suffice, dont need to go into too much detail
>>
>>57382253
>So what exactly is the difference between unix based operating systems like gnu, archlinux, gentoo and why do people say the meme "install gentoo" as if its superior or something?
You don't actually understand the difference, so I'll break it down:

Linux is the kernel. The GNU core utils is a series of tools.

Combined, GNU/Linux creates the entire operating system.

Arch Linux and Gentoo are "distributions". They're different variations of the same thing. Each of the distributions do things their own way, but they're all GNU/Linux.

"Install Gentoo" is a meme because it's exceedingly difficult to install for people who don't know what they're doing.

>How does it compare and to windows/apple stuff and why is it better?
>The only reason I could think of is that unix based system allow you to configure the kernel specifically so you dont install all drivers or applications to make it run fast? Or that unix based system "connect" better to the hardware and optimize components instead of household operating systems like windows/apple that are made just for simple use? Also stuff like gentoo being free and all

I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of these, too. Many people use GNU/Linux out of principle. Many others use it because it has the correct tools for their job. Others use it because they have special hardware which needs it. Fewer, because they have old hardware which modern Windows/OSX variants don't support.

In the end, an Operating System is a collection of tools. There isn't a "best" one. You should choose the one which suits your needs.
>>
>>57382358
So GNU is the middleman you use to instruct the linux kernel and "linux" is just a differently designed kernel as opposed to windows's or apples kernel design? Is there a reason for why there are differently designed kernels? I mean wouldnt any type of operating system have to function the same basically?

Im just a little interested in this right now because im starting to think 'the windows botnet' isnt actually a meme...., while distributions such as gentoo and archlinux are open source so nothing malicious could go around without people noticing
>>
>>57382441
>So GNU is the middleman you use to instruct the linux kernel
At the very basic level, yes. GNU's core utils are what creates a "complete" UNIX-like environment.

They are not a hard requirement though. There are other core utils collections, such as Busybox. But GNU's are the most prevalent and is what you'd see on a desktop or in a server environment.

>"linux" is just a differently designed kernel as opposed to windows's or apples kernel design?

Basically, yes.

>Is there a reason for why there are differently designed kernels?

They were made by different people and abide by different design structures.

Windows' varies depending on how far back you go, but they're all micro kernels.
Apple's XNU is a derivative of BSD's kernel which is a hybrid kernel.
Linux is something homegrown by Torvalds from the Usenet era and is a monolithic kernel.

>I mean wouldnt any type of operating system have to function the same basically?

At the very lowest of levels, yes. They all fire the same instructions when used on the same architecture.

But above that, their design structure is unique.
>>
>>57382441
>So GNU is the middleman you use to instruct the linux kernel
Pretty much. GNU core utils were designed originally for other UNIX-clone kernel, Hurd, which wasn't stil finished because of how Linux kernel was quickly developed. Hurd is still being developed, but now Linux suffices all needs.
>"linux" is just a differently designed kernel as opposed to windows's or apples kernel design? Is there a reason for why there are differently designed kernels?
The reason is kernels were developed by different people with their own views how OS should work. "Apple's" modern kernel, BSD, Solaris (or illumos now, since Oracle closed source of Solaris with 11 version) are descendants of old UNIX used in big mainframes, modern Windows kernel is descendant of OS/2, DOS and VMS systems.
>I mean wouldnt any type of operating system have to function the same basically?
No. Even computers function differently, how OS would?
>>
File: tfw no weeb gf.jpg (73KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
tfw no weeb gf.jpg
73KB, 750x750px
Thanks for the information guys
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.