[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HACKINTOSH

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: x220_Sierra.jpg (46KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
x220_Sierra.jpg
46KB, 600x450px
I have x220, sometimes i wonder about buying second hard drive (mechanical 100-200gb drives are dirt cheap now) and installing Hackintosh just to fool around a little. I used real macbook for some time and except crappy keyboard, it was quite cool.

So, is Hackintosh comparable experience to real macbook (after setting it up, of course)? Will i have multitouch gestures on touchpad? I hope i'll have proper performance, since my x220 is basically 2011 macbook?

Tell me about your experiences with Hackintosh.
>>
Buy a 64gb ssd instead. Never buy mech Hdrives.

But yeah go for it. Hackintosh is the best of both worlds.
>>
>>57368631
64gb sounds kinda pathetic. Is it even enough for bare OS and, let's say, xcode?
>>
>>57368619
I have a Hackington t420. Works perfectly besides the WiFi which can be solved with pci card. Go for it.
>>
I tried hackintoshing a thinkpad and it wasn't too great.

I've used OSX as a daily OS on a PC that I built myself using one of the hackintosh guides though. Been doing it for about 3 years now.
>>
>>57368619
A hackintosh is as close to a real Mac as your hardware is to what Apple is using. So for a laptop where you're constrained to whatever hardware the manufacturer happened to use, expect lots of stuff to work poorly or not at all. The various hackintosh communities maintain lists of supported hardware. Start there.
>>
last time I tried hackintosh I was beset by constant driver issues
>>
What's wrong with linux?
>>
So, only thing which may go wrong is hardware? Sounds good enough to give it a try, i have couple of USB WLAN devices, i bet one of those will work.

Hell, maybe i'll even look for cheap SSD drive instead of mech one. Probably not 64GB though. Thanks.
>>
>>57368698
What's wrong with trying new things?
>>
>>57368631
This. For desktops, mechanical drives might be OK, but laptop mech drives die like crazy.
>>
>>57368717
would you get pounded by a black guy just to try it?
>>
>>57368619
>thinkpad + hackintosh....
>hackinpad :^)
>>
what's the point of doing that? What do you guys find so wonderful in osx? seriously...
>>
>>57369186
Unix tools and proprietary apps. It's wonderful for programming.
>>
>>57368619
>>57368644
>>57368631
A 256gb 850 evo is only $90 right now.

I wouldn't go above 256gb until SSD prices drop even further, but you're out of your mind if you actually think you're going to be comfortable with 64gb. You'll end up buying a 2nd ssd to replace the first due to the insufficient space.
>>
>>57368619
It's probably gonna be slow and crash a lot.
So yes exactly like a real one.
>>
>>57370303
I used real macbook for a month and it was running flawlessly. That being said, i used only xcode and safari browser on it.

>>57370236
I definitely won't get 64gb, but 120 sounds reasonable for me. Besides, this OSX is just an experiment, nothing serious, i just want another drive because i don't feel like removing my glorious debian installation with everything set up for sake of potentially temporary gimmick.
>>
>>57368751
>not Thinkintosh
The thinking man's fetish :v)
>>
>>57368619
Give it a try, just be careful with the wifi card, check if yours is compatible.
>>
>>57370800
If it's not you can pick up a usb one for a tenner
>>
I've been using one for 3 years, I work in an industry dominated by Macs so I thought installing OS X would be a lot of fun. It was, until I tried updating using the Multibeast method, things are easier now with Clover but spending hours hunting for third party kexts is not fun.

OS X on my Hackintosh is pretty much the same as on my MBP, though the hardware isn't in the same league (in both directions), the main difference is that OS X interacts well with touch (plus the MBP touchpads are fantastic) on my laptop.

Get 128GB SSD as a bare minimum, I use a 500GB and I'm running out of space faster than I'd like, I've purely got work stuff on my MBP and I'm using about 300GB/1TB.
>>
Unless you absolutely require any 3D support it's easier to just run macOS in a fucking VM nowadays, seriously. Use VMware Player which is completely free (or Workstation if you can *cough*acquire it*cough* but avoid VirtualBox because of issues. VMware Player 12.x supports macOS 12 Sierra without issues.

I use Sierra in a VM on an older machine with just 8GB of DDR3 in it and it works just fine for my purposes (coding, development, etc). Don't give a fuck about forking over $1000+ for a real Mac of any kind (not even some used hardware) when I can run the OS (which I got for free because of the upgrade path from Mountain Lion that I actually purchased with cash) on my already rock solid workstation laptop anyway.
>>
>>57368747
Nope, but I would if there was a white trap
>>
>>57369186
Everything. OS X is love.
>>57370944
>tfw still using 10.9 where everything is right
also there are poll alternatives
>>
>>57370236
you dumb cuck you can get a 1tb ssd for just 100 more dollars
>>
>>57371069
hardware problem
>>
>>57371106
but i literally said macs are the problem
>>
>>57371140
install os x
>>
>>57371166
Something happened
Apple: 2005
MS: 2015

MS BTFO
>>
>>57370944
As if you have the high ground lol. Your alternatives are either:
>Winshit Farmville Edition
>Linux AKA "Still No Software Support"
>*BSD Look how obscure I am!

macOS is the best OS.
>>
>>57371665
>Names no alternative
>>
File: Capture.png (6KB, 353x133px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
6KB, 353x133px
>>57371665
Oh no you don't faggot.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.