[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I grow out of video games so I can use Linux as my main OS?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 25

How do I grow out of video games so I can use Linux as my main OS?
>>
>>57361531
Anon just realize that there hasn't been a good video game in 10 years and that industry is dead because there hasn't been innovation in 15.
>>
>>57361531
stop playing
>>
Try running the games that you already play in wine
>>
File: k.png (20KB, 642x715px) Image search: [Google]
k.png
20KB, 642x715px
Who the fuck cares? If you enjoy playing games you don't need to stop to get validation from your peers. Long as your not staying a NEET because of it.
>>
Create all the games you play in web assembly
>>
>>57361555
Papers Please
Life is Strange
>>
>>57361531

Buy another computer and use it for video games.
>>
>>57361638
remove Kolech
>>
>>57361531
>what is pci passthrough
>>57361638
Both of which run natively on linux
>>
>>57361555
Battlefield 4 and gta v are pretty fun, but origin has been a big buggy lately for me so bf4 is less fun than before.

Also
>>57361606

Other than being a unix and running better on outdated hardware than modern windows there's no advantage to it.

You won't benefit unless you're a programmer or in a field that requires Unix.
>>
>>57361531
Why would you cuck yourself like that?
>>
>>57361666
>what is pci passthrough
garbage
>>
>>57361669
>You won't benefit unless you're a programmer or in a field that requires Unix.
Having privacy and not being spied on 24/7 by an NSA collaborator is pretty neat.
>>
>>57361531
Get better hardware and install wine/playonlinux.
>>
>>57361680
what part of it is garbage?
It offers virtually no performance loss and when you are done with your gayming degeneracy you can turn it off and enjoy a proper OS
>>
>>57361714
he's probably one of the retards who bought a intel k series without iommu
>>
>>57361714
>system is being emulated
>virtually no performance loss
>>
>>57361694

The NSA doesn't give a fuck about what random neckbeards do.
>>
>>57361694
>Thinking that you still have privacy in 2016
Top fucking kek m8.
>>
>>57361724
meme all you want but clearly you have never tried it.
>>
>>57361724
look up what iommu does you fucking retard
>>
>>57361531
It's not about growing out of video games to install Linux, it's about installing Linux, uninstalling Windows, and forget about video games in general.

If you can't stand not playing video games I'd recommend detoxing with Linux classics such as SuperTuxCart, Sauerbraten, and my personal favorite, Neverball.
>>
>>57361531
there will be one day when you just stop. you will see back and regret all the time you wasted.

i hope that day is close for you.
>>
>>57361531
leave the gaming industry behind and buy a retina macbook pro
>>
>>57361638
Hipster Shit for tumblrista faggots
>>
>>57361754
>>57361742
I love playing games with a VM, that 30 fps loss is awesome!
>>
It is hard to make to make change without struggle or any form of despair - where is the incentive without it?

I am not trying to be all philosophical, I'm being totally honest.
OP, give up gaming. It took me many wasted years, and developing RSI for me to finally give it up. When I realized that I have constant pain because I was too childish to give up something I should have long ago, I've been feeling regret ever since. No matter what hour of the day, or how long I abstain from difficult or frequent movements, my wrist and index finger are hurting 24/7.

You don't know not to play with fire until you get burnt.

If you want some other sources though:
>https://reddit.com/r/stopgaming
>http://www.theminimalists.com/start/
>https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+13%3A11&version=KJV
>>
treat games like a drug, because they kind of are.

just install linux and force yourself to forget about games. you'll be weened off eventually and realize they are a complete waste of time. laying in bed all day watching tv is more productive than playing fucking video games.
>>
>>57361800
you also seem to love showing everyone that you have no idea what you are talking about.
>>
>>57361821
Linux is great, you can play slideshow games!
>>
>>57361800
further confirming you have never used it
Its ok if you are too dumb to set it up, there are plenty of guides for retards like you.
>>
>>57361794

>linux
>not hipster shit
>>
>>57361803

>posting on an anime imageboard is somehow better than playing video games

at least playing video games is socially acceptable
>>
>>57361866
>at least playing video games is socially acceptable

for you
>>
File: 1459047477854.png (15KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
1459047477854.png
15KB, 320x224px
>>57361531

Gaming is dead. Why drop $200 on a GPU that can render the latest cutscene simulator?

Just emulate games from the golden days and don't worry about it. There are all kinds of emulators available to GNU/Linux. Also, Wine should work pretty well for PC exclusives in the early to late 2000 era.
>>
>>57361531
Play games on Linux? Sure, the library is smaller and performance is a bit shittier compared to Windows but at least then you get use Linux while getting your gaymen fix.
>>
Laptop for Linux.

Desktop PC for gaymen.

That's my setup, and it just werks.â„¢
>>
>>57361531
>How do I grow out of video games so I can use Linux as my main OS

Stupid question. Use both or many at once via virtual machines.

If Linux does not serve your needs then you don't need to run it. If you are too stupid to use VMs, stick with Windows. VMs are like old penis i.e. not hard.

Switching is retarded. Software is free (I certainly don't pay for it, though I once bought a copy of Partition Magic in 1999) so run one OS or many.
>>
>>57361669
>You won't benefit unless you're a programmer or in a field that requires Unix.

Not even that anymore. Win 10 has an Ubuntu subsystem that you can activate and have native bash in Windows. You can also install utilities made for linux.

There's literally no reason to use Linux anymore, except for pedophilia and/or autism.
>>
>>57361927
>Not even that anymore. Win 10 has an Ubuntu subsystem that you can activate and have native bash in Windows. You can also install utilities made for linux.

Why the fuck would I want to use Linux tools inside Windows? That's just pure retardation.
>>
File: 20161102_211803.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20161102_211803.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>57361871
>>57361866
just took this right now. I could have cleaned up a little, but I wanted to show my reality.

I spent a whole month in my bedroom, going through everything, it took me a little over 3 weeks to "clean" my room. I took every single thing out, and got rid of what I no longer desire. I have boxes full of things I still need to get rid of.

I started lifting, running, and learned guitar since I've stopped gaming. I've totally transformed my life. It wasn't solely the video games before, but I am gradually removing everything from my life that was holding me back.

I even put my desktop away in my closet, I use my thinkpad for everything, and plug it into the cable and monitor with the battery removed and use it as a desktop on my little setup there.

The binder on the bottom right is over 100 pages of sheet/tablature I found on the web and printed it off, i am slowly learning and improving my playing
>>
>>57361927
Windows is still a malware and exploit farm. Best to host it on Linux for its own protection and easy restoration from a snapshot.
>>
File: 1465637293389.jpg (239KB, 685x515px) Image search: [Google]
1465637293389.jpg
239KB, 685x515px
>>57361927
>""""""""""ubuntu subsystem""""""""""
>anything more than a gimmick to try keep developers on NSA/Windows
>>
But anon, you don't have to give up vidya on Linux!
>>
>>57361963
i've played geetar for about 20 years. google justinguitar and follow his beginner courses, and go through his other lessons too once you're done. he covers pretty much everything you need to know up until mid level intermediate
>>
>>57361963
>I've stopped gaming
>discord
>a chat client used exclusively by gaymers
>>
>>57361962
>Why the fuck would I want to use Linux tools inside Windows?

Same reason you use them on Linux?
>>
File: 1475806555356.gif (259KB, 734x551px) Image search: [Google]
1475806555356.gif
259KB, 734x551px
>>57361531
You don't need to do it completely, the following is pasta but relevant:

Not him but the no games argument is not true anymore. Windows is the best os for gaming mostly due to most game developers are trained into developing for it with microsoft's closed APIs, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the marketshare is small compared to windows there's hardly an incentive at the moment to optimize for linux, making look as if the platform were worse for games than windows when in fact to flip the situation you'll need to change the idiosyncrasies on the industry itself.

The fact though is that the situation on linux is not nearly the same than two years ago and now those who prefer linux over windows now can play games on it, helping to break the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for linux to compete in the gaming side. I anyone wants for this to change i recommend to play the games you can on linux when possible and ask for linux ports.

I notice some people doesn't want's for this to happen but if that the case let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

Some links:
https://steamdb.info/linux/
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
https://www.youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
https://www.youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
>>
>>57361993
I don't follow? I don't have a discord. If you're referring to the icons on the left toolbar, maybe you have it mixed up with audacious?
That website on screen is /g/.

>>57361988
thanks a lot anon, and I really mean it.
I've been compiling as many different reliable sources as I can, and I've never found anyone who truly starts from the bottom and up. I've just found good song tutorial vids on youtube
>>
>>57361978
Only if you click and download random shit. You can't get any malware if you don't download shitty executables from shady sites.
>>
>>57361980
>being such a pedo that you have to fear your own cyber security agency (NSA) that works to protect your country
>>
>>57361531
Stop procrastinating. Linux will help you as games are bigger timesink than any linux distro, gentoo included.
>>
>>57361995
>Same reason you use them on Linux?

Using Linux tools in Linux makes infinitely more sense then using them on Windows. The entire reason I switched to Linux is because of the extensive tools and the constant issues I've had with Windows. I'm not going to switch back just because the pajeets at Microsoft decided to add a bash shell.

Seriously, that's just stupidity. The only acceptable use for this layer is if you're in a work environment where you can't feasibly use Linux due to some custom software or because of IT policies. (and even then you're SOL since most IT depts won't let you run your own programs)
>>
>>57362026
his lessons are more rock and general guitar knowledge stuff, so it's not that good for classical or jazz (if that's what you want to learn). but what he does and how he does it is pretty much the best lessons ive found for beginner courses on the internet.
>>
File: 1476169164449.jpg (65KB, 400x524px) Image search: [Google]
1476169164449.jpg
65KB, 400x524px
>go to the /dpt/ or /wdg/ or whatever
>check the resources
>try learning something new
>keep on practicing
>give up
>install Steam on Linux
>keep on being a stupid fuck for the rest of your life
>>
>>57361531
i use to be like you, the only way is this:

switch to linux for good forever, and at the same time get hobbies that do not involve computers...

personally this works because my job is computers, thousands and thousands of computers, i get sick of them, i go home and i have hobbies that don't involve them.

i use to play games all the time now i don't have enough time for them. this, actually, is my free time. im sipping wine and browsing 4chan.
>>
>>57361531
>How do I grow out of video games
By looking at the statistics and realising that most gamers are over 25, that games are now a bigger industry than the music industry and movie industry combined and that they're officially recognised as art forms in their own right by several courts around the world.
>so I can use Linux as my main OS?
Wine for older games and only playing the new games that are available on Linux. If you approach it as you would a poem or a movie and actually analyse what's going on you may find yourself enjoying the games more and in a much more mature way.
>>
File: 1471947766887.jpg (37KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1471947766887.jpg
37KB, 600x600px
>>57362038
>protects my country
>implying the NSA exists to protect
They sure are doing a great job considering my information was stolen in the with the
background check hack that happened a while back. but you keep drinking that kool aid
>>
>>57362052
Yeah I started with an acoustic, its sitting in my closet right now as I'm waiting to upgrade to a yamaha fg800, I'm tired of using an outright shitty guitar. Somebody broke my electric and I'm waiting to replace that too. I bought the classical a little over a month ago. I'm loving it, but it is incredibly difficult to play true classical, so I'm playing beginner level compositions.

Thanks again man
>>
Play league of legends and use the words: "Rito does _____" and "pajeet" in chat. You will get nothing but bad games. Make sure to wait til you're good at the game, though. It's even worse then. Especially if you're always the mmr.
>>
>>57362046
It's not just a bash shell. You can install those extensive tools using this shell.

>>57362085
Who stole it? Soros, Google, the evil Rotschilds?
How do you know they had any significant information about you? Do you have an insider to confirm that for you? Or is it just pure and ordinary paranoia.
>>
>>57361531
There aren't even any good games on PC lol. Just get a gayming console.
>>
>>57362046
That has nothing to do with my answer. You can now install stuff like you would in Ubuntu and use it without rebooting.

Is it as good as using actual Linux? No, but it's pretty decent.
>>
>>57361531
I got myself a console and stopped upgrading my desktop computer, now it's too old and the graphics card started to fail and I don't plan to upgrade it.

Playing on the ps4 gets boring after 2h for me, unless it's a really fucking good game, I'll hardly do a 3h+ gaming session, and that's on the weekends.

If you are a programmer, work on a different stack and on a problem you find interesting, try programming a game if you like them so much, for example.
>>
>>57361900
only sane response ITT
>>
>>57362101
>It's not just a bash shell. You can install those extensive tools using this shell.

*or* I could just use Linux because I'm not a complete fuckwit.
>>
>>57361809
>having fun is a waste of time
>watching ads all day long is a lot more fun
What a shitty life you must have to be that pessimistic...
>>
>>57362089
head over to /mu/ sometime and go to the guitar general /gg/ thread if you want gear advice, or any advice really.

mu is awful, but that thread is usually fine and helpful. i post in there sometimes
>>
>>57362122
I am already set on the yamaha for my acoustic, but I'm still curious as to what I should get for my electric.

I have thought about the Cort CR50, a guy I did lessons with has it in his shop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aurY0iHR3Rg
>>
>>57362060
Story of my life for the past 5 years.
>>
File: asdasasd.jpg (62KB, 507x366px) Image search: [Google]
asdasasd.jpg
62KB, 507x366px
>>57362085
>the gubbermint is an evil organisation created to spy on me and sell the info to the Rotschields and the members of the Bilderberg group
>>
>>57361927
>Linux subsystem
It doesn't even work lol. Like half of the most important commands either return an error or just don't do anything. Easier to just use pure Linux without clunky Windows getting in the way.
>>
>>57362101
yeah, I received snail mail from the goverment that my information used in my
TS clearance was stolen.
I have 3 years of free identity protection because of it

here you go faggot
http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/opm-hack-security-breach-n389476

How far do you have to bury your head in the sand to ignore this shit?
>>
>>57361830
>further confirming you have never wasted you time on inane bullshit for internet credibility
FTFY
>>
>>57362158
[citation needed]
>>
>>57361963

>it's not my fault i'm a lazy piece of shit, it's video games!
>>
>>57361900
Laptop- Linux
Desktop- Linux
Gayming- PS4

Keep that Windows cancer off my devices please.

Really don't even use the PS4, probably gonna sell it after I beat ff15. I waited 10 years for that game to come out lol I will make that my final video game.
>>
>>57362143
i'm not a big gear guy, but you can't go wrong with a tele, squier teles are cheap and the guitar manufacturing process to make a tele is very simple, because the guitar is simple, so it's difficult to truly fuck it up. /gg/ loves teles too, i play one as my main.

/gg/ is good with beginner recommendations, they know way more about gear than me
>>
>>57362085
Hey leatherman!
>>
>>57361531
>I am too dumb to dual boot OS
What did you mean by this
>>
Take up keyboarding. Seriously. Do it, keyboards are cheap, it's easy, seriously, even if you play for just like 45 minutes a day, you'll be able to play most music in about a year and a half and you'll learn how to read music in the process. Once you've learned piano move on to violin like i did. Believe me when I say music makes you smarter.
>>
>>57362173
kys
>>
>>57362197
thanks, will head over there now

wish me luck, I haven't been to /mu/ since 2013 when I was going through an edgy phase
>>
File: intelligent.png (141KB, 700x612px) Image search: [Google]
intelligent.png
141KB, 700x612px
>>57361531
leave the gaming industry behind and buy a macbook pro with retina display
>>
>>57361531
I still can't do linux because it has shitty Crossfire/SLI support.
>>
>>57362161
What can you expect.. Americans are retarded, they get hacked so easily..

That's why the best hackers are not from the US. You're the best victims because you're fat and stupid and don't think about anything all day but consuming (food, games, movies).
>>
File: 1392692569948.png (889KB, 756x715px) Image search: [Google]
1392692569948.png
889KB, 756x715px
>>57362223

Can a Macbook Pro With Retina Displayâ„¢ play Civilization 6?
>>
>>57362227
I can't do it on my laptop because it has shitty support for newer AMD cards.

Ironically, the proprietary drivers actually work for it, but every major distro has discontinued support of the fglrx/catalyst package in favor of the open source amdgpu that doesn't hardly support anything newer than a couple years.

I can still get Linux to run on my laptop if I install an older distro, like Ubuntu 14.04 or Debian, but I'm not using ancient packages. Fuck that
>>
>>57362252
yes, of course it can, but, erm, that's not exactly leaving the gaming industry behind
>>
>>57362204
I'm >>57361963, I've often thought about getting a digital piano, one with weighter keys

How easy or difficult is it to learn? I am not wanting to become a professional musician by any means, I've just always thought of trying my hand at the piano though (as most people have)
>>
>>57362269
>How easy or difficult is it to learn?
you're asking the wrong questions
>>
>>57362269
>How easy or difficult is it to learn.
Only as difficult as you make it, I don't know if I'm talented, or it it's actually easy as shit. Weighted or unweighted, personally weighted helps you develop your skills better, but that's just me.
>>
File: 1449885038058.png (309KB, 524x496px) Image search: [Google]
1449885038058.png
309KB, 524x496px
>>57362268

Buy it and install it, Nick.
>>
File: 1451688561110.jpg (918KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1451688561110.jpg
918KB, 1920x1080px
>>57362244
>projecting this hard
>being this mad
>(You)
>>
>>57362184
The real answer. Take control of your life OP.
>>
>>57362349
>implying i'd ever give apple my real name
>>
>>57362359
>being this much of a crossdressing dick lusting faggot
not that guy btw
>>
>>57362359
>anime poster
Enough said.
>>
File: 1471874563368.png (715KB, 956x553px) Image search: [Google]
1471874563368.png
715KB, 956x553px
>>57362385
>pic related

>>57362415
>text poster on a imageboard
enough said
>>
>>57361724
> conflating emulators and virtual machines
>>
>>57361606
>implying Linux is about validation
Nigga I can customize the fuck out of KDE or rock a minimalist setup in i3, and the OS doesn't fucking fight me over my own files and settings. I can modify whatever I want, play with configuration files, run anything I want as root, pull software from other distros to fuck around with, and strip out what I don't need. Windows is worthless cuck shit, and I only keep its sorry ass around for muh gaymes(hopeless unrepentant manchild and Souls fan here) and because PS3 Media Center's Linux version won't play nice with my laptop for God knows what reason, so the 80GB of movies my son holds so dear are strictly Windows stuff.
>>
>>57361577
This is partly true. A lot of games will run OK in Wine, but with less performance and a bug here and there. Some titles, you'll have to leave behind, but luckily they're mostly shit. I actually quit Digimon Masters Online because the Wine community didn't care to fix it, and I'm grateful to them.
>>
Linux is for people with borderline disorders. Prove me wrong.
>>
File: learn to parry humman.jpg (266KB, 960x725px) Image search: [Google]
learn to parry humman.jpg
266KB, 960x725px
>>57361762
>He doesn't know about PlayOnLinux
>He thinks retro is the only worthwhile gaymen
>>
>>57362495
then windows is for people with dependent personality disorder / stockholm syndrome
>>
File: 1455250673869.jpg (13KB, 183x275px) Image search: [Google]
1455250673869.jpg
13KB, 183x275px
>>57362487
>>
>tfw want to play the "new" Skyrim: Special Edition
>tfw don't play vidja or get hooked on it
>tfw
>>
>>57362517
nice one, genuinely witty

upboat
>>
>>57361900
Considering doing something like this myself. I have an HP Omen that I'm absolutely in love with, but the battery life is shit. I may use it at home or traveling, and take a cheap Chromebook with me day to day for work. I just have to figure out which one.
>>
>>57362566
<3
>>
>>57361984
This. Not only can you emulate the old shit, you can still play most of the current stuff coming out via Wine, just with a few bugs or performance hits here and there.
>>
Dual boot, and resist the urge to boot Winshit for anything besides games.
>>
File: umad.gif (136KB, 119x90px) Image search: [Google]
umad.gif
136KB, 119x90px
>>57362517
If a disorder was so prevalent, it would be considered normal.
But since linux has such a tiny market share, it's just for minorities and the mentally ill.
>>
i'm the youngest person in this household, and i play games the least
>>
>>57361531
Why would you want to grow up any further? Do you think people should only have fun when they are young and then donate their bodies as workers to saltmines for the rest of their lives?

Life is not infinite from an individual's perspective. Every second of your life that you are not enjoying is wasted if you're not at least serving a greater good while doing it.

If you don't like games, stop playing them. If you do like them, keep playing them. If you also like other things, do those as well instead of spending all your time on gaming. Also try to stay healthy to give you a longer life, which gives you more time to be happy.

If you want to use Linux and still keep gaming, buy a console that's meant for just gaming and do all your other stuff with Linux. You can also get a desktop PC with Windows and treat it like a console, just use it for gaming and nothing else.
>>
>>57362782
mods
>>
>>57362968
>youngest in a group = underage
i'm 26
>>
>>57363014
Time to get your own place, scumbag
>>
>>57361555
There have been good games. They're just few and far between, obscured by oceans of crap.
>>
>>57363027
i'm not living with my parents, if that's what you're assuming
>>
>>57363031

>They're just few and far between, obscured by oceans of crap.

It's been that way since video game existed. Bad games get erased by history unless they're exceptionally bad, good games get remembered.
>>
>>57362085
Seth?
>>
>>57362196
>PS4
Even less games than linux
>>
>>57361726
That's not even the point ya fuck.
They shouldn't be allowed even if they did.

Because you know what? You really don't know that they don't care. Maybe one decides he does, perhaps that one guy decides to fuck up poor anons life because he was just feeling like being a dick. People do bad shit and being in the NSA doesn't change that. I don't pay taxes to be spied on, fuck that.
>>
>>57361531
just run a vm for newer games, or dos box/wine for older ones? And use linux too?
>>
>>57361828
>slideshow games (no games whatever)
whats stupid about this is that i've run more games on linux than i could on windows, newer things like skyrim through wine, all the way to old 90s windows games like warcraft 2 and even ported some of those really old ibm games from the 80s. So idk man, you can do it if you want to.
>>
>>57361556
This. After a while you lose the desire.
>>
>>57361800
>not using VGA pass through on qemu
get off my /g/
>>
You play Nintendo games instead. There are emulators for old games, and Wii/3DS for new ones.
>>
>>57361800
I tried this but the VM would crash after exactly 10 minutes.

Disk usage was at a constant 100% according to the VM's task manager, but I'm unsure if that was the issue.

I ended up just setting up a second computer to the same screen, and an USB switch for KB/Mouse. Just press a button and switch screen input and I have a gaming computer.
>>
>>57361531

Anon, I spend playing vidya all along while studying CS. I regret nothing.

It's an instersting fact that games always were a drive for innovations, a lot of scientific computing is getting done by GPUs which were improved like mad because of video gamers..

But if you want to get rid of playing (and I can undersdtand that), think about making your own game.

Programming games (professionally) is one of the hardest things to do, but if you learn programmign you can already have a lot of fun with smaller games while learning a good profession.

Godspeed, anon.
>>
>>57361531
Q E M U
E
M
U
>>
>>57361531
start watching television
>>
>>57361531
It's really easy to quit video games when the PCs only exclusives are shit like Five Nights at Freddy's and Overwatch.
>>
>>57367091
>prior to switching to linux
>windows drive had a whole bunch of games I barely ever played but had installed Just Because
>fast forward to now
>dual boot to windows
>only things on that drive is overwatch and civ 6
>>
>>57361531
It's impossible.
/thread
>>
>>57367091
those aren't even exclusives
>>
File: forever.jpg (43KB, 606x406px) Image search: [Google]
forever.jpg
43KB, 606x406px
>>
>>57364768
Yeah, you really can't run them on Windows. It's not like you can install DosBox or anything. Except that you can run Win32 games natively on Windows 10.
>>
>>57361555
How would that convince me to stop playing games? All the games I play are at least 10 years old
>>
>>57361638
life is strange is shit
>shit writing
>shit acting
>retarded character choices
>writers forgot about maxs ability to "teleport" by manipulating time after the first chapter, which could have solved almost every issue in the story
>plot twist at the end with no significance other than being a TWIST :OO
>>
>>57367808
>interested enough to play though to the end
can't have been that bad
>>
>>57367863
it had nothing but praise so i thought it might get better, but it just kept getting worse
it ended up being bad enough for me to have fun laughing at it
>>
>>57362252
Can a nigger?
>>
>>57361555
I see you havent played My summer car. I've given up on aaa titles as small developers are the only ones left with some creativity in them. Two or three games a year and I'm happy.
>>
>>57361531
Don't. Do what I do and put Windows on your video gaymen PC and put Linux on a laptop. Problem solved. You should probably be using more than one operating system if you post on /g/ anyway, otherwise you can't make informed contributions to the OS flame wars that happen in every other thread.
>>
>>57361531
There's loads of decent games on linux.

I like games, I've been playing them for over 30 years. Linux plus a ps4 covers all my needs.
>>
File: 9842439[1].jpg (52KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
9842439[1].jpg
52KB, 500x500px
>All these devs using Unity to make their games nowadays
>They can effortlessly port to every platform under the sun simply by checkmarking each platform that they want to export it to. There is no additional work for them than just doing that.

>Windows version
>Mac OS X version
>Android version
>iOS version

>They decide to just keep Linux unchecked
>>
>>57361762
Fuck me m8, sauerbraten/cube 2 is the shit.
>>
>>57368079
if i was a dev i'd do that just for how fucking assblasted people get
well actually i'd first release a mac os x version alone
and then an android one
and then an ios one
and then a windows one
and then a linux one

for maximum efficiency in assblastedness
>>
>>57368115
>>57368079
>release Windows and Mac versions
>add code that crashes if running under Wine
>>
>>57368132
>set up your own forum
>set up a separate linux section
>disable notifications from that section and never check it
life of a fun dev
>>
>>57368115
thats why youre not a dev
>>
>>57368156
>make a social media website
>once it gets popular enough
>block macOS and Windows users out leaving in the page that says install gentoo
>>
>>57361531
Don't stop playing games to be able to use Linux. Use Linux to stop being able to play games.

That's what I did. I failed.
>>
>>57368175
kek
>>
>>57362470
>I can modify whatever I want, play with configuration files, run anything I want as root, pull software from other distros to fuck around with, and strip out what I don't need.
OK. Now: What can you actually do with that, which isn't possible on (for example) OSX? I guess you can make more extensive changes to window borders and stuff. Are you happier/more productive using your custom version compared to the default?
>>
>Not having an entire ssd/hdd devoted to Windows 10 and Steam
>>
>>57368194
OSX used to be so tight until they took away the ability to theme so easily
its so sad 2bh
well even sadder that people paid for a program to do shit like change window color
>>
Get a job that you have to take home with you, then you'll be too busy for vidya
>>
Has there been any good games in the past 10 years?
>>
>>57362023
Not him but the no games argument is still true. Windows is the best OS for gaming mostly due to DirectX being better than garbage Khronos puts out, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for console to Windows to won't affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the Linux marketshare is small compared to Windows due to garbage like OpenGL/OpenAL, unstable ABIs and horrible audio stack.

The fact though is that the situation on Linux is still the same as decade ago, it's unstable trash and now those who prefer Linux still have nogames, keeping the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for Linux to compete in the gaming side. You can beg like bunch of entitled chidren on Steam forums spamming epic "no tux = no bux"

I notice some people want Linux to happen but let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the Linux? Because I consider that software freedom to be meme of autistic unemployed neckbeards not contributing any meaningful way to technology.
>>
>>57369088
civ vi is pretty fucking gr8 m8
overwatch is pretty fun
dishonored was also great
mirrors edge 1 was entertaining

but that's basically it
>>
>>57361669
>GTA is fun
It is if you're under 15 years old
>>
>>57369628
>good game every 2.5 years
then there are no excuses for playing video games all day
>>
>>57361531
Try to occupy you're time by hardcoding your limited mental faculties to the different toolbox in gimp and forget photoshop.
>>
>>57362184
typical fool

of course it is one's own choice to be a lazy shit or not.
being a lazy shit = playing video games.
actually, fuck all of that. tell me how i'm wrong then, you cunt?

the only reason you would have had to type that out is because you're still caught in that trap yourself, and feel the need to justify it
>>
>>57369628
Shit taste
>>
I wish microsoft either open sourced directX or dropped it in favour of opengl or vulcan

directx is absolute cancer
>>
>>57369802
pretty much

>>57369906
they're objectively great games though, you can't even argue this which is why you attack my taste which is entirely subjective
>>
>>57361794
>>
>>57369916
Why would they give up their hold of the gaymen market?
>>
>>57369088
Dragons dogma, molded skyrim, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning
>>
>>57369994
maybe if it was made illegal for monopoly/antitrust reasons

it really should
>>
>>57369916
First off, Vulcan is OpenGL. There was a name change to make it sound more bad-ass.

Second, Microsoft would never drop DirectX in favor of OpenGL/Vulcan. That would allow for too much competition. OpenGL/Vulcan is a free and open standard, they can not control/regulate it.
>>
>>57368079
Make sure you promise eventual linux support and never follow through, just keep promising that it'll come eventually
>>
just deleted all my games a few days ago. so useless and a waste of time.
>>
Use Steam on Ubuntu you dumb faggot

And this
>>57361577
>>
use QEMU faggot
>>
I've never play games in my life. Feels good. Going by this thread, they do more harm than good; and really, there's so much to do in life, so sticking to one single outlet for escapism entertainment isn't necessary.
>>
File: plug.png (70KB, 190x251px) Image search: [Google]
plug.png
70KB, 190x251px
>>57361963
that's a nice buttplug you got there anon.
>>
>>57372516
>not owning at least 1(one) dragon dildo
gtfo of my /g/ you normie scum
>>
File: 1474384437672.png (530KB, 618x968px) Image search: [Google]
1474384437672.png
530KB, 618x968px
You'll grow out of it naturally once you start nearing your 30s, don't worry OP.

>Linux
Gog.com
>>
>>57361555
>>57361666
>>57361777
wtf I hate trips now
>>
>>57361531
Dual boot if you must play games from time to time.
Also has the added bonus of not getting too easily distracted when working as it is too much of a hassle to reboot just for those 30mins (which easily turn into 3hrs) of CS:GO or whatever kids play these days.
>>
>>57361555
I almost never play games made past 2007 and even then I only play a handful of post 2000 games. /vr/ is the master race.
>>
>>57361754
I tried it but never got it working. Thankfully I don't care because I don't game anymore.
>>
>>57367953

Not him, but I'll wait until the neet finn developer clicks the "deploy to linux" button on his Unity 5 IDE until i'll consider buying it
Thread posts: 189
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.