[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Emacs or Vim??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: editor-learning-curve.png (5KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
editor-learning-curve.png
5KB, 600x400px
Emacs or Vim??
>>
Emacs? Vim?
Bro, it's 2016 get an IDE
>>
>>57358397
Except you can do pretty much everything any computer can do in 2016 all within emacs
>>
File: 1424172213.jpg (10KB, 300x260px) Image search: [Google]
1424172213.jpg
10KB, 300x260px
only editor you need
>>
>>57358413
Why the fuck would you tho? Jesus christ you fucking hobbists make me sick to the fucking stomach, get a decent pc and install any derivative of intellij based on the language you are working in
>>
>>57358413
step-by-step debugging?
>>
>>57358413
Even if that was true, what you can do something does not mean that you should do it.
>>
>>57358446
get GUD

No, really
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Debuggers.html#Debuggers
>>
>>57358441
Not nearly as customizable
>>
What does the emacs one mean? Does the swirl mean it gets infinitely harder the more you want to learn?
>>
>>57358448
It's convenient and modular
>>
>>57358413

And you program exclusively in assembly too right? Retard. It's Microsoft Office or bust.
>>
File: obabo.jpg (275KB, 660x440px) Image search: [Google]
obabo.jpg
275KB, 660x440px
>not using atom masterrace
>>
>>57358446
That's old news, been around in emacs forever
>>
A proper IDE made for that language
Sublime Text 3 binds
>>
>>57358524
>being a script kiddie
>>
I like vim much better, makes more sense too me.
Emacs is cool too though

>tfw Spergs are still into le editor war when these two are way better than any other alternative
>>
>>57358578
Vim is really good for editing and reading, but idk if I'd code from bottom up using it
>>
>>57358485
No, the swirl means, that the use of emacs becomes recursive,
i.e. that you start using emacs to * create or set up exensions for emacs,
which you then proceed to use to (*).
>>
Emacs, vim makes no sense to me and if I wanted a lightweight console-based editor I'd rather use nano
>>
>>57358148
Vim is best, but people flame about all of the interior editors due to the fact that thier all too retarded to use a modal editor like vim
>>
>>57358148
Gedit or Geany

Or KDevelop
>>
>>57358624
>nano
Do you also have Down's?
>>
>>57358639
Explains your tripcode
>>
>>57358624
Because ctrl o, enter, ctrl x is so much simpler than :x
>>
File: 1457895141008.jpg (112KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1457895141008.jpg
112KB, 1280x720px
Emacs
>>
>>57358624
>nano
kys faggot. I bet you have an iPad too.
>>
>>57358484
Tell me 5 things you can only do in a terminal based editor that you can't do in pycharm.
Go
>>
>>57359469
You can watch YouTube in emacs, I shit you not
>>
>>57359548
I honestly did not want to know. Fuck this life
>>
Sublime seems to do the job + it's comfy
>>
>>57358727
gnu/london
>>
>>57358524
Same here, I love it, it just werks, I'm yet to see a downside besides it being heavy
>>
>>57358413
Wrong. An IDE like Visual Studio can:
>incrementally compile a program
>suggest syntax improvements in your code that offer better performance as you're writing that code
>allow you to refactor imperative methods into Functional LINQ expressions
>automatically extract methods and functions
>step-by-step debugging with graphical support which shows you which part of your program is currently being executed
>automatically find and refactor any object, function, or variable in the project
>intelligently suggest code improvements by using the compiler to analyze your program (e.g., something as simple as transforming a variable into a constant if the compiler detects it's never going to be modified)
>scope-based autocompletion
etc. etc. all at once and out of the box with the same level of project management and integration with build tools that emacs enjoy, along with the same ability to extend the editor.
>>
>>57360925
Emacs could do all that shit since decades.
>>
>>57361611
this...

It's funny when people who have never seriously used Emacs criticize it. With the new package manager, it's never been easier to get a functional Emacs that is extremely well-suited to whatever task you have in mind.

Not gonna hate Vim though, it's just not for me.
>>
>>57361611
Also wrong.

t., someone who's used emacs for years.
>>
>>57358649
>>57358691
>>57358736
>look mom i memed it again
Not him, but nano is a decent text editor that copies the workflow of any simple gui text editor: character keys are for typing, navigation keys move the cursor and key combinations perform actions.
And unlike emacs it's actually a text editor and a text editor only, like a good gnu+linux program should.
>>
>>57361611

so why is it that to this day only kids on macbooks pretending to be silicon valley startups and platinum tier autists ever bother with it?
>>
>>57363199
>only kids on macbooks pretending to be silicon valley startups
I think those go for Vim.
>>
>>57358148
vim user here, in the process of switching to emacs
Honestly the learning curve for the two are about the same, if you just force yourself to use the editor while working on a project, you naturally become more adept at the key controls.
If anything, emacs is easier, e.g. package manager is easy as fuck and seamless, config language isn't trash, searching and replacing is user friendly. Even the lack of a command mode makes it more "user friendly".
>>
>>57363462
>switching to emacs

why?
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.