[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Time to install Gentoo, with me luck.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: Gentoo_logo.png (27KB, 180x172px) Image search: [Google]
Gentoo_logo.png
27KB, 180x172px
Time to install Gentoo, with me luck.
>>
Make sure you either stick with the stable tree or unstable. Don't cross the beams unless you want to deal with a dependency headache
>>
>>57348158
This. Crossing trees can make your system unstable as fuck too.
>>
>>57348265
>>57348158
K thanks.
>>
Tell Andrew I said hi.
>>
I hope this will finally fix my graphics problems, everyone keeps telling me to install Gentoo.
>>
>>57348296
When you get to the kernel config, check the wiki for your graphics card so you can enable the right options for it.
>>
>>57348158
How do I stay stable?
>>
>>57348096
>luck
you're doing it all wrong
>>
>>57348096
You'll be back on Ubuntu within the day.
>>
>>57348158
>>57348265
1) there are no trees, just keywords 2) no it doesn't. unstable everything fucks more things up than using stable as a default and manually keywording select few ~ packages that you want the newest version now
>>
>>57348950
>not using ubuntu liveusb as an installation medium
>>
>>57348798
Read this: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ACCEPT_KEYWORDS#Stable_and_unstable_keywords
If you want stable you just put the following line in /etc/portage/make.conf:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"

>>57349837
This lad is right, those two >>57348158 >>57348265 are fucking retarded and probably never used gentoo since they speak of trees.
>>
>>57348096
Good luck

>>57348158
I can highly recommend ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"

using stable is basically masochism
>>
its not even hard i dont get the meme

you literally just follow the instructions
>>
>>57351629
Second this. Those retards have never used gentoo.
>>
>>57351629
Thanks! I'll read this part. I'm not OP, I got Gentoo installed for almost a year. The USE and package atoms seem a bit confusing. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward!
>>
>tfw to intelligent to install gentoo
>>
I'm doing an install at the moment.
>8 hours and counting.
>emerge --ask --update --deep --newuse @world still running
>tfw I still have to compile the kernel, various tools and grub.
>>
>>57351629
that would have been just dandy to know, rage quitted at installing gnome-extras/cinnamon cause were some masked fucking packages, now im on other distros
>wont name cause I know ill get ripped apart :(
>>
>>57352332
>not starting with kernel, basic tools and grub
>not emerging gazillions of packages with --keep-going

never go full retard
>>
>>57352364
>not following the guide when I'm not that familiar with the process
how does that make me a retard?
I have to learn how to walk before wanting to run.
>>
>>57352361
That narrows it down to archlinux and mint, right?
>>
>>57351776
Care to explain why?
>>
>>57352947
>Care to explain why?
Because the package age is extremely hit-and-miss. Some things like ffmpeg and firefox get their stable versions routinely bumped, but other packages (e.g. mpv) are just completely neglected and the “stable” version ends up being years and years old and usually full of bugs.

It's the classic `debian stable` problem. Unless somebody's actually *backporting* fixes, “old” and “stable” are not the same thing, so all you're doing is sacrificing new bug fixes and features for the sake of nothing. And gentoo isn't exactly in the business of backporting fixes to 3-year old versions like debian etc. are doing

Also, many packages don't even have stable versions on gentoo. I've been running ~amd64 globally for many years now and my desktop experience has been significantly better than when I ran amd64; even if for the reduced maintenance overhead alone (before, I had to constantly add packages to my .accept_keywords because the stable version was too old, nonexistant or incompatible with other stuff that I was already forced to keyword)
>>
>>57349848
I mean he'll get frustrated with Gentoo and then go back to whatever distros he came from.
>>
>>57349848
>not using SystemRescueCD as an installation medium
>>
>>57348096
Luck with you homboy!
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.