[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HOLY SHIT I FIXED IT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 12-189-047-08[1].jpg (22KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
12-189-047-08[1].jpg
22KB, 640x480px
So I've had this long running problem with my PC where after I changed PSU's and CPU coolers my PC would no longer boot up from sleep or a cold boot.

It would just make the *tink* noise that it makes when going to sleep and then refuse to turn on until I unplugged the PSU or the displayport cable. Yet my keyboard and peripherals would still light up etc.

I'm searching through my closet 8 months later and find the Dual DVI cable that came with my monitor, I use it instead of the cheap chinese DP I bought and BAM it works flawlessly and I can put the PC to sleep or turn it off with no issues.

I'm guessing I had an out of spec DP cable, anyone heard of that being a thing? Also I'm retarded because I've RMAd the Mobo, PSU, and Video card before doing this.
>>
>>57347352
when i encountered a complicated problem, i bought used parts to unit test every components of my pc instead of RMA one part after the other.

The advantage is that I can reduce testing delays and save on shipping costs if i dont guess the good component right away.

For instance i encountered a dead CPU (really rare). But before proving this i had to test the RAM, test the PSU and the mobo. I borowed the psu from a friend , bought a cheap stick of ram (15$) and an other mobo.

I managed to sell everything the same price i bought it and it saved me a motherboard RMA i would have done before assuming the cpu was indeed dead. I saved about 40$ and a month of useless waiting.

Concerning your specific problem, i'd guess that your bios is set on fast boot. This prevent the pc from booting well when it noticies periferals changes from the state where the fast boot mode has been activated. maybe the dual link dvi changes how the gpu behaves and how it is detected by the pc, so it refuses to fastboot.
>>
>>57347352
Install Gentoo
>>
>>57347543
>Concerning your specific problem, i'd guess that your bios is set on fast boot. This prevent the pc from booting well when it noticies periferals changes from the state where the fast boot mode has been activated. maybe the dual link dvi changes how the gpu behaves and how it is detected by the pc, so it refuses to fastboot

I'm pretty sure it was just a cheap DP cable that had the 20th pin connected and sending voltage
>>
i'm actually having the same problem wtf

i may get a dvi cable.
>>
>>57348827
Or just get a VESA compliant DP cable.
>>
>>57347352
DisplayPort is fucking garbage no matter what cable you get, there's always one problem or another with it. My computer would bluescreen if I turned my DP connected monitor off and on again or if it turned off automatically, no such issue with DVI. Had to set it to never turn off automatically in power options to stop the issue.
>>
>>57349109
I'm pretty sure there are just very few non shit DP cables out there since its an open tech unlike HDMI so any chink factory can slap them together.
>>
>>57347352
I also have a problem with a ITX motherboard where using VGA cables that have appropriate wiring which enables the motherboard to know what Monitor is will cause the POST time to extend/freeze by a full minute. Using cheap ghosting VGA cables with minimum wiring solved the problem for the POST. The picture quality is not very nice though
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.