[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the glasses-free 3d technology used in the 3DS not catch on?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: Nintendo-3ds.jpg (44KB, 640x544px) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo-3ds.jpg
44KB, 640x544px
Why did the glasses-free 3d technology used in the 3DS not catch on?
>>
>>57328622
It has a narrow as shit FOV.
>>
File: hime ACNL.png (778KB, 400x720px) Image search: [Google]
hime ACNL.png
778KB, 400x720px
Because it was a gimmick, none of the games used it effectively, it slurps battery life and everyone keeps it turned off for that reason.

Even with the eye tracking feature of the N3DS, it still wasn't worth using.
>>
It had a problem where light and dark parts of the screen would not work with the 3d. It looked like a 3d movie without the glasses
>>
I never enjoyed 3D desu. It sounded kind of cool, but I never actually remember enjoying it with movies or games or anything.
>>
>>57328674
>>57328699
has the technology not advanced at all in the 5 years since it was released?
>>
>>57328779
You can't just introduce features in a console without rendering it incompatible with previous 3DS games.
>>
>>57328808
was meaning glasses-free 3d in general, not just confined to nintendo. I know they must have a patent on their version but i was wondering why other companies hadn't tried their hand at it too.
>>
>>57328622
it was just too limited

essentially intractable:
> not that much usable depth range before becoming uncomfortable due to focus/vergeance mismatching
> stereoscopy on LCD means needing to double backlight brightness and just mask off half off everything per eye, killing battery life
> stereoscopy means doubling rendering load for same visual quality, again adding cost and killing battery life.

compromises in 3DS making tech seem less appearing:
> original model had narrow fixed sweet spot
> super low resolution graphic by modern standards
>>
>>57329006
> less appealing
>>
because it was and still is insanely expensive why do you think the resolution was so small?
>>
>>57328674
>everyone keeps it turned off
I've always got it turned on on my N3DS all the time. It works great for me and I really enjoy it.

I was out to be a 3D TV a few days ago and I couldn't find any place that sold them. I guess it's that no one wants to wear glasses to watch TV and the difficulty with camera tracking with more than one person that's the problem.

It's a shame that not more people care for it sadly. I'm sure it'll come back in some form again in the future though.
>>
>>57329100
My impression was that they all used proprietary and incompatible 3D display technology and therefore was seen as a short-lived gimmick.
>>
>>57328622
They hurt your eyes like fuck, and if they didn't feel painful you certainly felt uncomfortable with it. Worst handheld I ever spent my money on. Only KI:U was worth the money I spent on that POS.
>>
>>57328622
Doesn't look good
>>
It looks like shit is the problem and is mostly pointless. It's not "3d" and more "shit tier pop up book"

It does make turning corners on racing games a little easier though since you can gauge distance that little bit better.

This kind of 3d is the worst gimmick imo
>>
I have one of these that is somewhat, don't know if I should get the newest pokemon comes out.
>>
>>57328622
>Eye strain
>Field of view is limited except for the newer models
>Most users only used the 3D for a whopping 30 seconds before turning that shit off
>>
>>57328699
>>57329658
>>57329773
>>57330333
Y'all must have shit eyes.
>>
My problem with 3D effect on N3DS are 2 points:
1.Battery life
2. A bad effect to the eyes, I feel dizzy after 10 minutes

I turn on the 3D in cinematic but not in the gaming
>>
>>57328622
Oh also the resolution was quite shit (Below 240p) and the graphical quality and polygon count was destroyed by having to display 2 screens. They should've done another gameboy 1 face type deal.
>>
I absolutely love the 3D effect and the 3DS. Never had any eye strain neither on regular old 3DS and new 3DS, even after 6 hours long monster hunter sessions. I'm sad it'll go away, to be honest. Depth fires up spatial sensitivity and adds another dimension in action games, and made everything look beautiful otherwise.
>>
>>57332240
>A bad effect to the eyes, I feel dizzy after 10 minutes
sounds like a (You) problem
>>
>>57332570
Yeah I think the same, reading this thread
>>
>>57328622
they used it on a few android phone, but it didnt catch on.

>>57329156
that too
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.