[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is programming still a viable career?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3

File: pussy pals.jpg (93KB, 575x752px) Image search: [Google]
pussy pals.jpg
93KB, 575x752px
Is programming still a viable career?
>>
>>57321358
Dumb niggerposter
>>
Yeah, absolutely. Why even ask this question? Didn't you try googling anything about the job market?
>>
>>57321370
Sure there might be jobs now, but I mean are cheap pajeets going to kill the market? Are computers even going to need to be programmed in a few years? etc.
>>
>>57321375
> are cheap pajeets going to kill the market?
Absolutely if you're a code monkey who can only google his answers and doesn't understand how that shit works.
>>
This trick will tell you if a career is viable.
Step 1: Kill yourself
>>
>>57321358
No. Pajeets took over
>>
>>57321375
>are cheap pajeets going to kill the market?

What are you going to work on? If it's shit where you can get away with zero optimization and don't have to worry about security concerns, the job will go to Pajeet because he works for a fraction of your money.

If it's something where quality actually matters you have way better chances.
>>
>>57321358
No.

>>57321582
>>57323222
>they think, quality matters

>>57323189
>>57322826
/thread
>>
>>57323437
>>they think, quality matters
Depending on the field, it does. No one would hire a Pajeet to write scientific simulation codes for example where optimization is the most important thing because there is no point after which it "just works".
>>
>>57323222
>implying you're better than pajeet
>>
I want to program but my uncle just got his job taken by pajeets. The whole company moved their programming to poo land actually.
>>
If you're a dime a dozen programmer working on shit projects (aka college graduate who did n othing but college work) you're getting replaced by pajeet.

If you're an actual good programmer who has:
- programmed since they were 12
- github contributions on open source software
- their own popular software
- experience freelancing or a portfolio in general
Then maybe.
>>
>>57323473
>No one would hire a Pajeet to write scientific simulation codes for example where optimization is the most important thing because there is no point after which it "just works".
Usually that's what they hire lowwageslave students for, anon.
>>
>>57324807
>If you're a dime a dozen programmer working on shit projects (aka college graduate who did n othing but college work) you're getting replaced by pajeet
that was a fad years ago. it doesn't actually happen anymore.

>- programmed since they were 12
doesn't fucking matter
>- github contributions on open source software
doesn't fucking matter
>- their own popular software
doesn't fucking matter
>- experience freelancing or a portfolio in general
doesn't fucking matter
>Then maybe.
any retard can live comfortably as a code monkey.
>>
>>57324843
/thread
>>
>>57321358
If you're good at it.

If you have to ask, you're probably not.

I'm probably shit too.

But maybe we can fool normies into thinking we're good long enough to collect a paycheck.
>>
>>57323437
If you ever need to make a change or become succesful and need any refactoring, then hiring a pajeet is the worst thing you can do.
>>
Kill all pajeets
>>
>>57326632
Recognizing you're shit is the first step and puts you ahead of the googling pajeets
>>
>>57324807
Oh fuck the github javascript framework circlejerk.
>>
>>57321358
If you're good and going freelance.
Or if you're average and consider it as a bridge into project management (or whatever they call the position that's about herding code monkeys).
>>
>>57327928
>freelance

Why would I ever want to work with absolutely no benefits or security or insurance or pension?
>>
>>57321358
just don't forget your hormone supplement, and you will not have any trouble finding a job
>>
>>57327944
No taxes.
>>
>>57321358
>Trump wins

Maybe.

>Hillary wins

HA HA HA HA oh God fuck no you would be better off working for the USPS delivering gibchecks.
>>
>>57321370
>Yeah, absolutely.
I just wanted to say hello to India.
>>
Get into a trade or just fucking start a business.
>>
Well...

its a very colorful career.

extremely boring, I think You should think long and hard about that.

I want to vent.
Please be patient.... thats All I have to say PSTrump
>>
>>57321375
>are cheap pajeets going to kill the market?

People have been asking this for 20 years and the answer is still maybe.
>>
>>57328939
>the man who personally sends jobs overseas for extra profit is going to somehow stop this practice, despite having a reputation for screwing people over for personal gain.
Nice try
>>
>>57321375
No. Developers may be easy to find and cheap (pajeets) but you get what you pay for. Smart developers who understand what they're writing are harder to come by and people, for the most part, realize that it's worth spending more to avoid pajeet java spaghetti code.
>>
>>57321358
I think so. Even the code monkey jobs pay decent and are plentiful. Most companies have programmers in house and offshore.
>>
>>57324843
>any retard can live comfortably as a code monkey.
Can confirm, former teacher turned code monkey in late 20's. It pays better and I don't have to worry about going to jail because the little shits are maiming each other.
>>
probably not. every single kid in generation z grew up hearing every career is dead except engineering, medicine and tech. Meanwhile the goldrush of web businesses is drying up and consolidating into relatively few megacorps who collude to underpay their employees. Also hillary will make it so pajeet can come over and take your job for half what americans work for.
>>
considering i just graduated and employers were constantly offering developer jobs to other people at 70k+ starting in the mid west

yes
>>
Actual retard here committing Javascript code. I don't even know how it works but they keep paying me. I think eventually I'll learn how to code properly but until then it's google and stackoverflow copypasta and bam I get payed.
>>
>>57331344
If it gets the job done and doesn't actually break anything, then it's good. The problem is that you don't understand what you're doing so you don't understand when you do something that breaks something.
>>
>>57331344
Man I wondered where the people in my CS program keep ending up. This also explains why javascript code is all bullshit.
>>
File: 1473904892658.jpg (362KB, 1106x1012px) Image search: [Google]
1473904892658.jpg
362KB, 1106x1012px
>>57321375
>Are computers even going to need to be programmed in a few years?

*synapses rapidly start firing causing my brain to overload*
>>
>>57321358
Yeah, I'm not even that smart and I'm making 6 figures out of college.
>>
>>57321358
sure but it's nowhere near as in demand and respected as it once was, it's all just "IT" now; compsci, mcse, same difference
>>
Just finished CS major.
It's been 2 months, only applied to a couple jobs.
Sabotaging myself because of fear of anything outside my comfort zone. I don't look good in a suit.
Stallman would be proud
>>
>>57324861
>>57324843
are you professionals?
I see the writing on the wall. "code monkeys" as you call them are living in a dream right now. really overpaid for what they do. There's also inevitable influx of new college grads from the early 2010s who read all those "your life is recession fucked unless you write code" articles their baby boomer grand parents shared with them on facebook.
And the goddamn indians, i don't mean hyderabad, bangalore, and delhi. I mean the fucking h1-b program gutting the only middle class jobs left in this country.
I know at least two people in my family who got into 70k+ jobs in the south and midwest without college creds. that's desperate, that's 90s dotcom shit, friends.

God, I hope i'm wrong but if you do CS, don't be a lazy dumbass and think about moving towards an MBA. I try to write less code everyday and move my career to business development and my big corp inc. job. it's always those that don't prepare that whine loudest. I aint mad, i'm just gonna get prepared.
>>
>>57321358
The longer you wait, the harder it is going to be to get into it.
>>
I don't even understand why someone would try to get into IT. There are two cases how that can work out:

- you become a Pajeet who has no idea what he is doing most of the time, work for a minimum wage, and is basically just happy eating curry and pooing in his streets (figuratively speaking).
- you become a nerd, really interested in technology, programming, mathematics and other stuff, only to be criticized by retarded normies or HR faggots who completely, utterly fail to recognize that it's not your fucking job communicating with them. Unlike them, you are not being paid for wasting resources, you are paid to get shit done. That reminds them of how useless they are, making your job only harder.

In the first case, there is no potential at all.
In the second case, they exploit your potential. And IMO exploited potential is worse than unused or no potential.

My advice: just be a leech to society. If they don't come begging for your potential, they ain't worth it. Even if it means you live your life in isolation, at least you are not being exploited like the rest.
>>
>>57330019
>just because he did something in the past
>means he absolutely must do it forever

I know beyond any doubt that Hillary will increase H1B visas by 3-5x.

Trump at least claims he will reign in the program.

If he's lying, shame on him, but I might as well roll the dice. He can't be worse than Ms. Pay to Play Foundation.
>>
>>57332325
>I know at least two people in my family who got into 70k+ jobs in the south and midwest without college creds. that's desperate,

I'm so fucking sick of the college degree and certification meme.

Some of the absolute WORST fucking "programmers" I've ever known had degrees from 'good schools' and certs to boot.

Some of the BEST were self taught from junior fucking high on.

The irony is that many, if not most, college students today outsource their work. I have a friend who got his CS degree yet can't write a line of JavaScript because he literally out sourced his homework to India.

Also: for my life I can't figure out where people who say there are all these IT jobs are looking. From what I can see in the Los Angeles area companies have their pick. They claim to be desperate but interview a hundred people and leave the position open forever while they look for their perfect snowflake applicant. That happens when a market is flooded, not when it's tight.
>>
>>57321358
Why the distraction.jpg ...

And no, everything will be one huge botnet
>>
>>57321358
no. the kikes have ruined it. im starting my career now and its fucking hell. like its not he stories where the employers wants to literally suck my dick I heard on the internet. I actually had to apply and lost on a few interviews before i got my first job.
>>
I'm pretty sure programming is just a given nowadays.

Its got to be
programming + stats -> Data scientist
programming + business -> Some fancy title and all you do is excel spreadsheets
programming + skill / domain knowledge -> Actual career prospects
just programming -> pajeet
>>
>>57335220
Domain knowledge is overrated.

I often had it that those who actually had domain knowledge (may it be DNS, or Cerberus, or databases) couldn't program for shit, and yet they churned out some and were ever since "experts" in that domain.

I remember once having been said that if a certain company "had employed DB guys they would have been great explaining to us why this and that wouldn't be possible. So we hired some non-DB guys who found a way".

Another time they created a small team of three people that was supposed to reprogram a piece of software that was used for a research project (also in cooperation with a university). They were told that they knew those three guys were completely new in that field, so they weren't expected to beat the actual software, but they wanted to reach at least 50% of the performance.

And after some months of programming their solution was 50% FASTER than the original software.

Domain knowledge is overrated.
>>
Pajeets are why we need to make math a priority in schools. Saving 20% upfront doesn't matter if a project takes three times as long and had to be rewritten (at additional cost) five times to be even barely functional.
>>
>>57321358
If it isn't, what is a viable career?
Fucking hell man.
>>
>>57334439
git gud @ life
>>
>>57321375
If they haven't already, they won't
>>
File: 031551SheikSultan.jpg (48KB, 400x561px) Image search: [Google]
031551SheikSultan.jpg
48KB, 400x561px
Hey guys

I'm a fairly young male who is looking to become a programming contractor who gets paid big bucks

Already have a comfy job that pays good bucks, but I make ui with javascript. Should i into statistics and git gud at data science? Should I finish my bachelor's and start a masters in UX interaction? Should I switch out my weed smoking habits with an Adderall dependency?
>>
>>57321358
Yes

http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_table_104.htm
http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_table_103.htm
See Also: http://www.bls.gov/emp/tables.htm
>>
>>57336561
Or no. Ain't worth it.
>>
>caring about career, not about gaining valuable knowledge that enhances your skills

kys desu f a m
>>
>>57324686
Anecdotes are useless for predicting the future.
Use statistics and take steps to align your life with the strongest trends.
>>
>tfw no desire to git gud

Man, I had the potential. Then I tore my arm and lost it. Now I'm too depressed to do shit cause I'll always be a feeble weak person on my left side. Feels fucking bad man.
>>
>>57334647
>If he's lying, shame on him

The man is a text book sociopath. In fact they're now using him as an example in lectures and workshops to demonstrate what a sociopath is. Of course he's lying. He can't help it.
>>
>>57324819
but even lowwageslave students knowledge is on a much higher point than any of the pajeets
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.