[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RAID storage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

hey /g/, im thinking of setting up a storage server for all my movies and animu, but have no experience with building these

im currently thinking of pairing 4 6tb hard drives in Raid 10, is it good idea?
>>
>>57312172
Essentially all you need is any pc/laptop you want, install Ubuntu or whatever the fuck you want and set up a smb share or install plex.
>>
>>57313260
does the type of hard drivr matter?
>>
File: IMG_0169.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0169.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>57312172
No real reason to go with RAID 10. Offers the same level of disk failure tolerance as RAID 5.

or you can be crazy like me and run 28 drives in two RAID 50 arrays.
>>
>>57313335
Not really but for your usage sub 7200rpm drives might be cheaper, quieter and cooler since they will be mostly idle other than when you're streaming.

And like the other anon said raid10 is pointless for you unless you need the throughput and availability raid10 offers which you don't need.

If you want a backup then install more drives.
>>
>>57313340
What is difference between 5 and 10?
I just liked the idea of 10 because i get RAID 0 speed with backup drives
>>
>>57313389
RAID isn't a backup. With raid10 you're doubling your storage cost in case one of the four drives fail and you need the data to be available without downtime. Do you need the 4x read and 2x write speed gain for streaming your chink shit?

You're better off pooling all the drives and backing up onto external solutions or more internal hard drives.
>>
>>57313389
Raid5 is a waste of time and definitely shouldn't be used with large drives.
>>
>>57312172
If redundancy is not that important to you check out UnRAID. You'll lose one disk for parity (so 18TB usable) but you can expand later on with whatever drive size you feel like below 6TB. Fault tolerance of one drive failure.

You do also have to buy a license.
>>
>>57313389
Theoretically you get 4x read performance and 2x write performance in RAID 10, but take an effective 50% hit of available storage in your drives. (12TB)

Or go with RAID 5, enjoy 3x read performance, but no write performance boost, and only a 25% hit on available storage (~18TB)

like >>57313447 said, you need to have a backup of this array in some way shape or form. RAID isn't backup.
>>
>>57313447
So Raid 5 with a backup it is?
>>
>>57313477
Whats the alternative, RAID 6? I assume OP isn't looking to get enterprise level gear here
>>
>>57313499
Whatever raid you go with a backup is a must.

I'm still going to say that any raid for streaming is a waste of money since you will almost always lose storage for additional read/write speeds which doesn't matter for streaming and redundancy which doesn't matter if you back up.
>>
>>57312172
You need four drives minimum to use RAID10, if you're just storing chinese cartoons use any regular ol hard disk and back em up somewhere else.

RAID is meant for performance, and failure tolerance to keep shit running, kinda overkill for home use.
>>
>>57313548
The thing is I just want to store a shit ton of movies and mongolian cartoons without losing them, thats really all.
>>
>>57313509
It's just not efficient use of money in my eyes. Larger drives are also more likely to fuck up during a raid rebuild. All these raid setups for streaming I see here sometimes are so over the top.

A simple LVM pool with external backup would be my go to solution. Any 4tb+ drive hits well over 100mb/s and with a simple pool no storage space is lost for redundancy.

RAID in this case is an expensive solution to changing your smb share from primary dataset to backup data set in case of drive failure. Something that can be done in 2 minutes.
>>
>>57313599
So buy double the amount of storage that you need and just keep a 1 to 1 copy you tit. You're massively over thinking this.

Install Ubuntu or whatever the fuck you want, create two LVM pools and mirror them. Done.
>>
>>57313340
>RAID 5
no

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8306499
>>
File: 2016-05-15 09.25.40.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-15 09.25.40.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
r8

17tb usable raw. 4x4tb wd reds and 3x3 toshiba 3tb drives and an old Seagate 1.5tb.
>>
>>57313610
very true about the rebuilds - I'm using 28 1TB drives but I use my server for a lot more than just streaming to actually get good use out have a RAID array.

>>57313665
One spurg on the internet who has a hard on for RAID 10. It's why you have a backup solution in the first place. He is greatly overexaggerating the failure rates of rebuilds too.
>>
>>57313821
http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-raid-5-stops-working-in-2009/

Dell doesn't recommend it either.
http://en.community.dell.com/dell-groups/dtcmedia/m/mediagallery/19861480/download.aspx
>>
So is it better to get a bunch of small hard drives rather than large ones?
>>
>>57313681
>Seagate

I've had 2 seagates fail on me

Would not recommend.
>>
>>57314087
If you were going to do RAID 5, yes. Just get large drives, don't use RAID, and keep backups.
>>
>what is raid Z
good job you faggots, enjoy your shitty filesystems.
>>
>>57314105
I dont understand backups very well, is there anything that lets me just automatically copy all my files to a backup drive without RAIDing it?
>>
>>57312172
Better get 6 - 10 disks of 2 - 4 TB each
Use RAID6 to allow for 2 disks to fail
Keep 1 more disk in hot standby, another in cold standby
Buy all disks separately, from different batches.
make sure disk and raid integrity are actually monitored - before it is too late.

Remember: your data is far more valuable than the cost of the disks.
>>
>>57312172
>scutum next to dude wearing a Thracian helmet
Stop
>>
>>57314366
>is there anything that lets me just automatically copy all my files to a backup drive without RAIDing it?
cp on a cronjob. I you use DragonflyBSD a hammer mirror-stream will take care of it for you.
>>
>>57314387
>Remember: your data is far more valuable than the cost of the disks
>Chinese cartoons worth more than hard drives
>>
>>57314459
well im gonna have to redownload the chinese cartoons and they might not be availablr anymore
>>
>>57314091
It's literally my qbittorrent drive. I download onto it, seed it a bit then delete it and keep a copy on my other drives if needed.

It's a Seagate barracuda 7200.11 as well, the 1.5tb model and notorious for failing. It has 23000 hours power on time and 24 reallocated sectors but it's still going.
>>
>>57312172
>Samurai
Everytime
>>
>>57314601
him and the Templar are 10/10 makes me lel everytime
>>
>>57312172

I have 8 drives in raidz3 and freenas.

Bad number of driver or inoptimal to be more accurate but I was new when I built it.
>>
Server thread?

what's a good cheap motherboard for a 3U rack mount case that supports ECC RAM?

already got some drives and drive bays, planning to use ZFS and FreeBSD probably

gonna be a storage server, possibly to backup the existing storage server
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.