[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Data Science?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

File: Data Scientist.jpg (311KB, 1128x481px) Image search: [Google]
Data Scientist.jpg
311KB, 1128x481px
Redpill me on "data scientists".

Some of them work at my company but I've never had any direct contact with any of them, however from what I've seen, it seems that they're literally not doing anything -- ever. Yet they seem like the smuggest motherfuckers ever with this condescending attitude -- they will look at everyone else like they're beneath their level for some reason.

What's the point of them? They aren't programmers, they aren't system engineers, when my friend told one of them that they're only gathering statistics they all got offended, so what exactly do they do?
>>
Developer evangelist
Data scientist
Code artisan
>>
Analytics, we put in a shitload of IBM big data stuff and had to hire a few. They pretty much just look into trends. Could be anything from what side of screen a user prefers to what is their interest level is purchasing X product. The ones at my company do have a hand in the configuration of analytic servers though not sure if that is typical, but they essientally crunch numbers.
>>
>>57307757
>>57307769
But they really aren't essential for the company and their product(s), right?

The company can work just fine without them too.
>>
>>57307733
They pull data out of mongodb, hadoop or whatever and put it into excel.

If you're fancy you know some sort of machine learning.
>>
Get given data. Put in in R. Coffee. Run a few tests and browse the web. Lunch. Run a few more tests. Coffee. Print a boring graph/write a report. Home.
>>
>>57307874
Wow, it's fucking nothing.

Anyone can do this job.
>>
>>57307841
Yes, but in extremely data driven companies they may be required.

>>57307874
Yup pretty much this.
>>
How does one become a data scientist /g/?
>>
MSc Stats student here that will either ride the Finance or Data Science train.

>>57307892
This description is spot on. 100% serious. I know an older guy that got a senior position at a tier 1 firm doing exactly this all day and he was completely illiterate with computers (e.g. wouldn't even know how to reinstall an OS) - they taught him everything.

£5-6k/month net.....
>>
>>57307933
Get data certs and learn Big dick data stuff
>>
>>57307892
Go fuck yourself, retard.
>>
>>57307933
Learn how to use R, SAS, SPSS, Python, SQL, Excel + VBA etc. etc.
>>
Most of data scientists are borderline retards, even those meme PhD students. They are even worse than replaceable code monkeys.

>>57307933
>three-month course in computer 'programming' and data analysis
>data scientist

:)
>>
>>57307933
Download R-Studio. Go on stack overflow/favourite help site when you don't know how to do anything. Remember to drink coffee so you look busy. Can confirm, this is my job.
>>
File: 1434052894501.png (54KB, 857x721px) Image search: [Google]
1434052894501.png
54KB, 857x721px
>>57307974
>>57307892
>>
File: 1474148049881.png (150KB, 848x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1474148049881.png
150KB, 848x1200px
Why are they so intent on selling this profession to the hipster Starbucks crowd?
>>
File: Data Science (1).png (643KB, 750x1350px) Image search: [Google]
Data Science (1).png
643KB, 750x1350px
Start with classical stats, Bayesian stats, probability theory, stochastic processes and general math.
Learn a bit about algorithms, graphs and optimization methods also.

With that you can learn machine learning and statistical learning to start doing data science.
>>
File: Data Science (2).jpg (967KB, 620x2837px) Image search: [Google]
Data Science (2).jpg
967KB, 620x2837px
>>57308041
>>
File: Data Science (3).jpg (1MB, 620x2790px) Image search: [Google]
Data Science (3).jpg
1MB, 620x2790px
>>57307988
Kill yourself.
>>
>>57308063
Why? It's what I do everyday and I enjoy it. No bully please.
>>
>>57308075
You're making it look like it's an easy job.
>>
>>57308041
Also along the way, make sure to purge yourself of any knowledge of the assumptions required for any of the models in any of those fields to hold. Otherwise you might have the nagging feeling that you're churning out bullshit.
Don't worry too much, though, most computer scientists are good at forgetting (or never learning) what assumptions have to hold for any of their stuff to work.
>>
>>57308063
so how the fuck do I apply to google for this shit? I know R
>>
I work for a large bank and they are jumping on this bandwagon hard.

Its nice to have large amounts of data and store them in data warehouses but its expensive as fuck and costs literally 250K just to add a column to a fucking table. Way too much bureaucracy.

Data lakes are the future at least that's the trend right now, and if you know Hadoop and are certified you can easily walk into most large places and get a job easily.

Data mining or analytics is the ability to quickly analyze incoming data to provide specific targeted marketing/products to a customer.

For example, if a customer makes a complaint in a branch and that's recorded, it doesn't make sense to send them an email offering them a pre-approval to extend a line of credit. Instead, analytics would see the complaint, and instead of the line of credit email, they get we heard about your problem, if there is anything else we can do to help, please let us know type deal.

Whatever you want to call this type of analysis: data mining, data scientist, data analyst, some small companies might even include it as part of a DBAs job, it play a vital role.
>>
I do this for a legal firm collecting tens of thousands of crash reports, incident and criminal cases for many states every day.
Stored in a few mysql databases, front end search filters with options to export in to document formats.

You'd be surprised how much info of yourself can be publicly accessible online if you ever get in to a car crash. I got my employer's details, home address from searching my database
>>
>>57308063
There are so many buzzwords in that infograph that I don't even
>>
As your article suggests, "data science" is basically the business buzzword of the decade, so depending on your company you may find "data scientists" working on everything from data acquisition to data preprocessing, data warehousing, data cleaning, data analysis, data visualization, forecasting and even data-driven (i.e. evidence-based) policy recommendation.
Don't expect HR to know the difference.

The more tasks a "data scientist" handles simultaneously, the more indispensable they become to the company (especially if it's a small company), which might explain some of their smugness.
That said, it's statistically more likely that the people you meet were assholes.

t. data scientist
>>
companies have abused the data science title.

it can range from anything from a drooling idiot who does linear regression in excel all day to serious machine learning that will require someone with a PhD.
>>
It's a trumped up word for statisticians who handle large volumes of data and are good at their job.
>>
It's literally just "we want a statistician who's also an expert programmer, but we only want to pay him one of those salaries even though he's doing the work of both; here's a cheap chart to make you feel valuable instead of exploited".
>>
>redpill
Go back to /pol/, don't ever, EVER go back.
>>
File: clockboy_911.jpg (414KB, 1000x797px) Image search: [Google]
clockboy_911.jpg
414KB, 1000x797px
>>57308258
>I got my employer's details, home address from searching my database
can you search up someone's address in NC for me?
>>
I think you first study CS, then specialize in Data Mining, Big Data and then you become a data scientist.

You may also go from Math, through Statistics to Data Science
>>
>>57308414
Maybe but I'm pretty sure that doxxing is against global rules
>>
>tfw I see "sexiest" as "sexist" because of /pol/ baitposting
>>
>>57308572
Literally the worst board ever.
>>
I specialized in data science from my computer science degree.

Pretty much walked into a job out of university. I report once every 2 weeks all i do is just plot some pretty graphs with ggplot and do some cut and paste forecasting. Do most of my work with the terminal so normies think I'm some sort of god with text flying everywhere with a shitty grep command.

I think the field will die soon though, it seems like it will be the first thing on the block to be autonimized
>>
>>57308739
But all the new and hot spicy memes are there now.
>>
>>57308025
Probably trying to appeal to them in order to save them from the "I study English Literature and Film Theory bc I'm PASSIONATE about it!" meme
>>
i worked as a data scientst at cambridge get on my level losers

also it's mostly ETL and hten some modelling i dont know if people keep saying it's stats cause it's not really. it's more techie and less p values. i'm pretty shit at stats, but i'm kaggle master and do well in data science. stats is a lot more mathsy imo
>>
>>57308025
Don't know how they could. Being good at everything on that sheet is pretty much impossible unless you have no life. A hipster would get bored and leave when the trend changes.

The math and statistics section is a 4 year degree.
Programming and database is another 4 year degree.
The bottom two sections together are probably another 4 year degree. Maybe a 2 year degree from a decent college.

If you're not good at something on that sheet, you need to defer to someone who is. That's why we hire multiple people to work together. Sadly these dumb fucks keep cramming more and more skills onto checklists until we're spending 20 years to be qualified for a job that pays 75k. They can't drive the price of tech workers down, so they increase the skill requirements.
>>
>>57307841
>The company can work fine without marketing too
>The company can work fine without HR too
In fact, you could run the company only with engineers. Here's a business idea for you, cookie.
>>
Can someone explain to me why is everyone here saying shit like "data scientists are incompetent / computer illiterate / know zero programming languages / literally do nothing" and similar stuff, so often?

Is there maybe some truth in that or is /g/ just being jealous?
>>
>>57309040
I don't know what kind of shitty school you go to, but they're all covered in one CS degree.
>>
>>57307733
this is actually my job

basically a fancy statistician
>>
sophomore cs student here. learnt Hadoop and Mapreduce proper last year. my prof/advisor somehow got a rather large NSF grant for this, so we ended up setting up a small cluster of 1200 nodes for the cs and bio departments. why is the government pushing this shit hard? and why is my advisor now trying to convince me switch from a CS/MAT to a CS/Stat major?

>sort of related. her favorite quote is "more data beats better algorithms."
>>
>>57309138

I could crash course someone with python numpy pandas and some bash with piping for "big data" data munging and get them to the "acceptable" level within a day or two. Its super basic bitch shit.
>>
>>57310361
Get on that, animepro.
>>
>>57310673
lol
>>
>>57307769
so tl;dr, they do something computers have been doing for ages?

wow so NEXTGEN
>>
I'm pretty familiar with this meme.

Data science is a buzzword to describe someone that knows some CS concepts, stats, general programming, and domain specific knowledge. It has also come to include a focus on manipulation and management of large data sets as storage continues to get cheaper.

It's the next great meme degree, much like what CS was a few decades ago, before the market was saturated with cheap labor and all the high paying niches were filled.

>but it's a shit field, it's retarded etc.
Corps love highly specialized code monkeys with a more diverse skillset. It consolidates the amount of unspecialized code monkeys they need.

t. data """"""""""""""scientist""""""""""""""""
>>
How long until pajeet takes over this field?

has it already happened?
>>
>>57311395
at least a few decades
take CS as an example

barrier of entry has to be low and the internet has to be saturated with free learning tools so that it can be learned and outsourced in an unairconditioned internet cafe with a 10 kbit connection
>>
>>57307733
Stats work mainly, but you need to be able to write code. Very well paid
>>
>>57311358
salty
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.