[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

File: download.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
What went right?
>>
Dunno why it's semi-popular.
>>
Fuck Electron tho.

>Discord uses less resources than competition!!!1!11!!!!
>Runs in a web wrapper

Get your shit right ffs
>>
>>57305229
It's wide adoption with gamer normies and huge marketing push. That's about it. Other than that it's either going to die when the investor money runs out or they'll sell user data like crazy. Their PR guys keep blowing that they'll sell in app purchases but fucking sticker packs and themes are not going to keep an infrastructure like that up alone. I don't trust them at all.
>>
>>57305699
>I don't trust them at all
also,
>>
>>57305229
Lots of chinese $$ for marketing
>>
>>57305229
Lots of shilling
It's better than skype and that's literally its marketing point
"Not as shitty as skype"
which really doesn't say much
>>
File: le current year man.gif (2MB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
le current year man.gif
2MB, 500x280px
It'll likely die off or go pay-to-use, which honestly would be fine by me.

I'd shell out $10/mo or less for it, assuming that meant avoiding it becoming datamining malware like Skype.
>>
shit mobile app
impossible to search messages
impossible to reply to or forward a message
closed source
>>
I heard its creator also made Openfeint on iOS, which blew up pretty badly.
>>
>>57305251
They've shilled on here and this is a shill thread
>>
>Stop paying for TeamSpeak servers and hassling with Skype.
They trashed the competition for new users

Mumble is the only real competition they have. Discord is eventually going to turn into a social network platform for gamers, they already have file sharing and friend lists.

>Trusting a company who relies on investors like TimeWarner
>>
>>57305229
free mobile app. any dumb fuck can set it up. free. it is actually quite nice to use
>>
They made IRC and Mumble accessible to retards who can't use IRC or set up a mumble server and then focused their marketing on retards who can't use IRC or set up a mumble server(gaymurz)
>>
Literally fucking nothing. It's just as shit as Skype, only somewhat more reliable. Damn it, when will Telegram support voice? Once it does, I'm gonna stop using the other bullshit services I'm on.
>>
>>57305861
>impossible to search messages
>what is BetterDiscord
>>
>>57305699
>Implying they're not already selling user data..
>>
Better than skype, still extremely shit, and I don't like how it looks into everything you do by default
>>
>>57305229
Link to g discord pls
>>
Free and ease of use. The first time I used it, I was able to connect to a friend's "server" from a browser running in the background. That's great as shit, just a quick account setup and then don't need to do download anything. It also tends to "just werk."

Not saying they don't scare me, but they've set up a system that runs well, is free, and is easy to use for first timers with little commitment (which helps people convince their friends to use it).

Pretty obvious why it's catching on.
>>
The logo looks like a butt with eyes.
>>
>>57305229
nothing. mumble works better.
>>
They better figure out how to keep this service free because I can tell you that as soon as it costs something the userbase will vanish. People wont pay a monthly sub for something like this. They'd rather go back to Skype.
>>
>>57310560
>They'd rather go back to skype
Fucking really?
Why would anybody use skype for anything besides video calling, its such a bloated piece of shit
>>
>>57308482
> using BetterDiscord
>>
>>57310725
It gets the job done. People think that mIRC is too old, TS and Mumble are garbage for text chat and apart from that there arent many options. Skype at least provides a proper text chat environment. None of the others to because they are VoiP focused. Discord does both which is why it has such a gigantic appeal, but I can tell you that the average 16-20 year old wont drop a cent on a chat client.
>>
>>57305251
>>57305699
>>57305743
>>57305904
>>57310125
>>57310725

As it's been said, they spent estimated >$1M on massive shilling campaign (particularly pay-mods-for-dischord-in-sidebar on reddit). Which was sort of novel and smart strategy, area in which dischord really did innovate.

As for technical merit, it's really dubious for people who aren't interested in voice chat, IRC still works much better.
>>
>>57310803
why the fuck would i every preffer text chat over audiochat ?? ts is way suprior and respects freedom because you can do with it what you want
>>
>>57310853
>why the fuck would i every preffer text chat over audiochat ?
Why would you ever choose between either? If you can have both why the fuck wouldnt you? Why should I have to choose between voice chat and text chat when there are apps that do both? Sometimes you cant be bothered to sit in a voice chat but simply want to chat instead. TS and Mumble require permanent connection to the client. If it crashes, or anything happens, your entire text chat history (including links etc) is gone. Or do you transmit links via voice chat genius?
>>
>>57310803
aren't many other options.. what?

hangouts
vent
line
raidcall
curse
not to mention tons of more text focused like telegram, whatsapp, etc
>>
>>57305229
nothing
>>
>>57310928
absolutely no reason why you need one thing doing both. convenience gain is virtually non-existant.
>>
>>57310971
>vent
>line
>raidcall
>curse
Please. Cursevoice and Raidcall are the most obvious botnets in existence that are ALSO shit apps in general. Vent has the same issue TS and Mumble do: Its a horrible text chat.

>not to mention tons of more text focused like telegram, whatsapp, etc
Thats the thing people like you dont seem to understand. Shit like Skype does a better job than all of these at COMBINING text and voice chat. It might be bloated shit, it might have shit voice quality, it might be a botnet, but at least the service provide a proper voice AND text chat environment.
>>
>>57308365
>using Telegram instead of Signal
Enjoy getting fucked
>>
>>57311053
>I'm too retarded to run multiple programs at the same time

also, tox.
>>
File: 1458336286933.png (8KB, 480x323px) Image search: [Google]
1458336286933.png
8KB, 480x323px
>>57308365
>using telegram
>>57311085
>using signal
>mfw using Wire
>>
>>57311709
For what purpose? It doesn't appear to do anything better than Signal.
>>
File: 1446548680610.png (284KB, 1200x569px) Image search: [Google]
1446548680610.png
284KB, 1200x569px
>>57311736
>>
>>57305229
mumble needs to implement a p2p database for "friends lists" to please all technologically and socially impaired casuals and make a faggy hipster UI to get rid of this shit
>>
File: 1471908519638.jpg (24KB, 286x286px) Image search: [Google]
1471908519638.jpg
24KB, 286x286px
>>57311736
>>
i won't be using it, if everyone wouldn't have stopped using IRC
>>
>>57311956
>Being a mindless sheep over a leader

Who is the alpha in your group that dictates what everyone else uses, little man?
>>
>>57305229
it's not skype
>>
it's kinda useless because everyone just uses skype and/or telegram

I guess it's good for voip and games
>>
>>57311762
So that's wrong on the desktop version. Signal's biggest pull is that they're a decent SMS app on Android, which really helps with adoption among my friends who aren't aspie cryptoanarchists (all of them). I'll keep wire in mind if I need encrypted group calls though, which I well might professionally.
>>
>>57312188
>everyone uses Skype and/or Telegram
Just because your circle of friends does it, doesn't mean everyone else does.
>>
>>57312259
Oh Signal has a desktop version finally? I don't know man Wire does everything and works well on Android and my Desktop. It even works through a browser if you don't want the app. Best app you can use at the moment unless something that does even more comes out.
>>
>>57305229
Venture capitalism

Which will also be its demise once it dies or gets purchased by facebook twitch or google
>>
>>57308595
one of the devs is in a /wdg/ discord server and someone in there asked about the money, he said they'll never sell user data. id like to believe him but they really dont have any other way of making the money they need
>>
>>57308121
My group of friends had both an IRC and Mumble of our own, Discord is just simpler and easier to use bud.
>>
>>57312400
Yea that's quite likely. It's why I dropped Hangouts/Voice since Google keeps creating something promising then fucking the users repeatedly once they kill it off. I'm surprised Waze is even still around. I'm sure they will fuck that up soon too. Switched to Telegram and it had no desktop app like Hangouts (needs chrome or browser). Wire and Signal were the others and Wire has it all plus encryption.
>>
>>57310971
If I even noogle raidcall I only get some russian fake sites. Seems legit.
>>
>>57305251
Blame Twitch, biotch
>>
>>57311762
What's their subpoena record look like? How much information is kept in their logs? There is more to Encrypted communication than just feature set when you're trusting a third party to provide it.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.