[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does the type of computer matter when using a DAW? And if so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: tumblr_o59lymIZ5q1rchstno2_540.gif (152KB, 540x300px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o59lymIZ5q1rchstno2_540.gif
152KB, 540x300px
Does the type of computer matter when using a DAW? And if so what is the best computer to use for music production?
>>
Self-bump
>>
>>57303682
Mac with Logic. Not even memeing, one of the few things Apple got right.
>>
>>57303682
you can do it with linux but it's a clusterfuck unless you really want to try.
>>
>>57303682
>16 GB RAM minimum
That's the most important part. Lots of RAM. If you're serious about audio production and work with an external keyboard or other tools you'll want something with a dedicated soundcard and firewire.

Obviously, OSX or Windows. Linux is right out for this.
>>
>>57304024
This but that's only "right" because its proprietary and you're forced into using it
Outside of fucking OSX/Logic, all you really need for any DAW is a working computer, maybe a half-decent CPU for heavy VSTs and effects. An audio interface of some sort is pretty necessary unless you want to be that fag playing music out his headphone jack
I've worked on both potato laptops and high end workstations and there isn't much of a difference to a DAW unless you're running dozens of instances of poorly optimized VSTs (and even then, DAWs have ways to lower CPU usage, like flattening)
Also the exporting time is reduced on a better PC but that's insignificant, no actual work time is affected
SSDs are nice too when you can pop in any VST or sample basically instantly
>>
>>57304063
And if you're running something extremely lightweight like an old tracker spreadsheet-DAW you could literally run that shit on a C64
>>
>>57304063
>>57304024
What about ableton live?
>>
>>57304226
That's what I use mostly, I use ReNoise for sample editing and Ableton for the actual DAW work using ReWire to link them together
Never had a major issue that made it unusable but a better CPU (from laptop to desktop) did help VST synthesis and an SSD helped most loading times.
installing ASIO as the sound driver helped lower any delay too, you can't use software volume control with ASIO so you'll need a DAC with volume control
>>
>>57304226
>>57304265
Like I used Ableton for a year on a 6 years old low-medium spec laptop and it was still usable, the SSD I put in it definitely helped the laptop out
>>
>>57304024
Agreed that Logic is great. One of the best DAWs out there for sure.

Ableton is also great and what I use. Using Linux for music production is possible but retarded. VSTs are a nightmare, just stick to Windows.

As far as specs, I recommend at least 8GB of RAM and an SSD. Your processor is really only going to matter for rendering, ultimately. However, it is possible to produce music on about anything. I have a desktop with solid specs, but I actually still do most of my music on my t420s.
>>
File: 7.jpg (179KB, 1848x802px) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
179KB, 1848x802px
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.