[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't we have innovative tech like this anymore?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: upgrademb.jpg (191KB, 800x643px) Image search: [Google]
upgrademb.jpg
191KB, 800x643px
Why can't we have innovative tech like this anymore?
>>
What the fuck is that?
>>
>>57302993
Just get a workstation board and run dual xeons if thats what you want
>>
File: hmmmmmm.png (48KB, 318x250px) Image search: [Google]
hmmmmmm.png
48KB, 318x250px
>>57303341
ECS PF88 "Extreme Hybrid." Circa-2005 mobo that was intrinsically LGA775, but could be changed to Socket 479, 754, or 939 with an add-in card as pictured.
>>
>>57303355
Ah i remember it now.

Seems kinda pointless now when motherboards are so cheap though
>>
>>57303398
Good point. Allow me to rephrase OP: "Why can't it be 2005 and we have fun hardware to dick around with again?"
>>
>>57303401
Because inevitably it all flops
>>
>>57302993
>bought an asrock back then that had a similar feature
>they even gave away the daughter board for free
>didn't even last before the new cpu came out
>was part of my first self built pc
It still hurts.
>>
>>57303401
Speaking of fun hardware, what other cards can I buy to fill up my empty PCIE slots?

Already have a GPU (don't need two) and a fancy sound card. I'm waiting for PCIE SSDs to come down in price a bit more.
>>
>>57303401
... arduino, raspberry pi & every other microboard are just that
>>
>>57304703
Firewire are damn cheap and some have LEDs to boot. If you have some old dv tapes you could archive your or someone else's collection this way.
>>
>>57305409
ditto this. 1394 is still useful in this decade for archival and connectivity purposes, and has its place among those that have older iPods that will sync and charge over them, even if you use Rockbox on the things.

As with all standards, there are much faster variants of firewire too, now. but, for the sake of having the port in a jiffy, it matters. the problem is 1394 is inherently a security risk, so people in the dev and sec world who are in the know generally epoxy or rip off the port from their boards and such unless they're using it for DMA and kernel debugging... but I haven't heard of someone using it for such in a long time.
>>
File: evga-classified-sr-x.jpg (992KB, 1920x1684px) Image search: [Google]
evga-classified-sr-x.jpg
992KB, 1920x1684px
Wish there were more "enthusiast" dual CPU boards like the SR-2 or the Z10PE-WS
>>
>>57302993

Additional contact resistance and signal length can lead to things like voltage sensitivity and timing issues.

>>57303401

It makes the hardware more expensive, and niche markets don't pay the bills.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.