[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>he fell the overpriced thermal paste meme

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: 1476560030032.jpg (65KB, 514x536px) Image search: [Google]
1476560030032.jpg
65KB, 514x536px
>he fell the overpriced thermal paste meme
>>
how much we talking?
shit costs like $10 max
>>
File: Screenshot_20161029-220449.png (315KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161029-220449.png
315KB, 1440x2560px
>>57302829
ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT!!!
>>
File: iwKkg.gif (31KB, 465x548px) Image search: [Google]
iwKkg.gif
31KB, 465x548px
Anything more expensive than artic silver 5 is either a complete waste of money or will lower temps by 1-2°C more which isn't worth it imho. Might as well get water cooler by then.
>>
I like Arctic Alumina. Nice white colour compared to that ugly grey-brown of AS5, and it's not as sticky (though can still be a PITA to completely clean off depending on the heatsink.)
>>
>>57302855
that has to be a pricing error
>>
>>57302916
This. The only more expensive thing you should consider is liquid metal if you do delidding.
>>
>>57302916
>toothpaste
>pink lipstick
Shit, those work pretty well actually
>>
>>57302949
or an inspect element ruse
>>
It's sudo apt-get update dumbass
>>
>>57303088
No, its for half a fucking kilo of the stuff, read the fucking description
>>
>>57303313
He`s saying the person could have edited the page locally through the source editor in the browser.
>>
File: Tim_test_update1.png (95KB, 815x1708px) Image search: [Google]
Tim_test_update1.png
95KB, 815x1708px
>>57302916
Here`s a better chart using a more accurate method of measuring the TIMs' performance as well as proper application. That hardware secrets chart is fucked because they obviously adhered to the pea sized dot method which doesn`t work properly on a lot of pastes. Note that Arctic cooling mx4 performs better here, being carbon based it will not spread properly with the single dot method.

http://overclocking.guide/thermal-paste-roundup-2015-47-products-tested-with-air-cooling-and-liquid-nitrogen-ln2/
>>
Why don't they just design the processor and heat sink as one solid unit so thermal paste isn't needed?
>>
I'll only ever use AS5 as long as there's nothing that's AMAZINGLY better than it

Been using it too long to change. I have gotten masterful at applying it with its consistency anything else would be effort.

The only real things you need to think about with thermal paste is >is it good enough >will it last >is it under 6 bux for a 3.5g tube
>>
>>57302855
>500g
Sounds about right to me, dollar a gram on that stuff is a pretty good deal
>>
>>57303840
Because of the put-togetherability
With that you can't water cool or add a different kind of heatsink on
>>
>>57302855
Its half a kilo, that's why it's so expensive!
>>
>>57302855
>>57305968
image to scale
>>
Gonna do a rough estimate
Let's say you paid 10€ to get that extra special thermal paste, which reduces your temperature by a few degrees. The thermal coefficient of copper's resistance is .393% /ºC so let's round that to an effective decrease in 1% of resistance.
Power dissipated by joule effect is P= I*R^2, directly proportional to resistance so you save 1% in power.
How much power are you saving, and therefore how much money? When will it pay itself back?
Assuming 0.20€/kwh = 2e-4 €/Wh and CPU consumption of 100W (saving 100*1% = 1W = 1e-3kw) you would be saving 2e-4 € per hour of usage, which means 50k hours to pay itself off.
At 8h/day it would take ~17years. Not worth it for most people imo.
But like 300W would mean 3x less time, a couple degrees cooler would mean another % or 2x less, keeping it on 24/7 would mean 3* less, which would eventually add up.
So for le epik gaymers it might actually be worth the cost. Most people, no chance
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.