[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

% parallel Academic tradition requires you to cite works you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: pepe_srsly.png (73KB, 454x453px) Image search: [Google]
pepe_srsly.png
73KB, 454x453px
% parallel 
Academic tradition requires you to cite works you base your article on.
When using programs that use GNU Parallel to process data for publication
please cite:

O. Tange (2011): GNU Parallel - The Command-Line Power Tool,
;login: The USENIX Magazine, February 2011:42-47.

This helps funding further development; AND IT WON'T COST YOU A CENT.
If you pay 10000 EUR you should feel free to use GNU Parallel without citing.

To silence the citation notice: run 'parallel --citation'.

Why the fuck is this shit allowed
>>
>>57300083
what's wrong with that?
>>
>>57300094
It shows every single time you run it and is basically begging you to cite some faggot who did jack shit for any research I'm doing. What now, I should cite Linus Torvalds for fucking up my kernel 9 years ago? Fuck off m8. Also the smug '10000 EUR' thing, wtf is with this desperate gay.
>>
>>57300124
yeah I can see why you'd be annoyed.

tbqh I think it relies on the fact that parallel is very frequently used for research, but even then you're probably right - I've never really seen OpenMP or OpenMPI babble about attribution.

Especially the euro part.
>>
>>57300124
Does not seem unfair to me: You have something that is free for you to give in return for using the software.

If it bothers you to give that, why don't you simply stop using the software? It seems to be an obvious solution that will make everyone happy.
>>
GNU/FSF a shit. All the people who wanted to get work done moved to BSD years ago.
>>
File: images (4).jpg (7KB, 240x168px) Image search: [Google]
images (4).jpg
7KB, 240x168px
>>57300124
>get software for free
>"how dare these people ask for some contribution from their work?"
>>
>>57301021
>GNU/FSF a shit. All the people who wanted to get work done moved to BSD years ago.
BSD also requests that you cite their license in derivative works
>>
>>57301016
>>57301202
>write paper on superconducting qubits
>do some basic file operations on my data
>use parallel
>"Welp guess I should cite these faggots for this one program they have written, even though they haven't contributed anything to the field or published anything relevant that could even be remotely related to my work"
Yeah, nah. What's next, citing the guy that wrote ls or cd? Fuck off matey.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.