[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Really out of the loop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Hey, I havent build a PC since the late 00s, due to the fact that I was barely at home in the last five years so I just used my laptop + a rented server for more demanding tasks. Now I would like to own a real computer again, have decided on this so far: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/2Mnrcc
any suggestions? I don't game, use linux-distros and want to compile some private projects on my machine.
>>
>>57296698
I'm sorry dude but you should really read up before attempting to build something, rather than be spoon fed.

But I won't be a full on prick and tell you this. Your CPU can't overclock but you picked a motherboard for overclocking (decide if you do want to over clock, if yes get a CPU with a K at the end. If not, get a H110 motherboard.)

Don't get 4x4GB ram. If something get 2x8GB to use dual channel mode for a little bit of extra speed.

CPU cooler is not that great, just go with the good old 212 EVO.
>>
>>57296772
Correction, H170 not H110. It will allow you to get a RAID in future if you want one
>>
If you're building a GNU/Linux machine you have to seriously consider your choice of dedicated GPU.

The best (as in hassle-free) solution is going for integrated GPU in your intel CPU. Look for a processor with IrisPro (or whatever it was called), it offers a decent performance for what it is.
It will work out of the box since intel provides source for their graphical drivers and they're included in the kernel as regular driver blobs. Won't cause any trouble.

The remaining contenders are different pairs of shoes.

If going for AMD gpu absolutely forget about proprietary drivers. They're utter garbage, they introduce glitches, they're extremely picky about kernel and xorg versions, you might update only to have your screen never come up again. And of course AMD has a tradition of abandoning their hardware few kernel versions down the line.

Opensource drivers are a lot better, performance difference is there (around 5-10% less), but they work out of the box. On a desktop computer the energy saving bit should not concern you that much.

Nvidia cards are an exact opposite. The opensource noveau drivers are garbage that won't boot up half the time, the proprietary ones are decent (as in it's possible to work with them).

Pick your poison, but do it right.
If you don't need GPU performance i would recommend getting investing in a better intel cpu with iris graphics.
>>
>>57296772
thanks a lot, got any recommendations on guides?
>>
>>57296803
ok, will go with iGPU, thanks anon.
>>
>>57296772
>Your CPU can't overclock
Yes it can. Non-K Skylakes can OC with Z170 mobos
>>
>>57296698

Wicked nice desktop, what is it and how do I get it? I'm using Windows 10.
>>
>>57296698
http://www.logicalincrements.com/
protip: set it to germany
>>
>>57296698
Get a 6500 instead
>>
>>57296698
>having a cpu cooler
Then use 6700k or amdFX for more clockspeed and cores
>>
>>57296803
There's really no reason to have a dedicated GPU if you're a 100% Linux user. Save the money.

Also no point getting more than 8GB (really 4GB is enough).
>>
>>57296698
Throw in the extra 50/80 eurobucks for a 128/256 GB SSD. Don't buy into the 'SSD is a meme' meme.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.