[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is why the Mac Pro is dead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

It's been three years since the redesigned Mac Pro's debut, enough time to allow the rest of the Mac lineup to catch up.

The new 15-inch MacBook Pro comes with:

>quad-core i7 Skylake CPU
>Polaris GPU w/ 2 GB VRAM
>16 GB RAM
>PCIe-based storage
>four Thunderbolt 3 ports

and Apple is pushing hard the idea that you can now do serious 4K video editing on a notebook using external displays and storage. All for about the same price as the 2013 Mac Pro.

The new iMacs coming early next year will have even better specs than the MBP, further validating Apple's position.

Remember that Apple's high-end customers are creative workers. Apple isn't concerned with gamers who want to run poorly optimized Windows ports with maxed-out settings at 4K/60fps. To that end, the capabilities of a contemporary iMac or MBP are more than enough.

Until 8K begins to emerge as a standard (which will be some time from now), I don't see Apple bothering with another Mac Pro redesign or refresh. The long lifespans of video standards, coupled with the much shorter lifespans of computer technology, are what killed the Mac Pro.
>>
>Doing actual work on a mbp
yeah alright enjoy having your laptop melt down

Doesnt help that it uses AyyMD shit
>>
>>57294820
The processors are a year old
There's literally no reason not to offer more ram
Money gouging
Mediocre graphics
Magic touch bar that does nothing the already good touchpad couldn't do

Nothing to see here move along
>>
>>57294820
>press encode
>cpu drops down to 800MHz because it's melting.
>takes 3 days to finish
>macfags just upload the lossless files to jewtube and download them.
>>
too bad creative workers tend to prefer a touch screen these days and their pathetic attempt to sell the iPad as a laptop alternative failed hard.
>>
The meme that Macbooks overheat is false. A properly ventilated Macbook can remain at it's highest CPU speed indefinitely. I have one and I clean out the vents/fans regularly with compressed air. It works perfectly and CPU/GPU max out at 90C, but are usually under.
>>
>>57294820
>Apple is pushing hard the idea that you can now do serious 4K video editing on a notebook
No. Apple is pushing the idea that they don't care about professional use of their hardware
>>
File: 1473132425943.jpg (240KB, 1100x1380px) Image search: [Google]
1473132425943.jpg
240KB, 1100x1380px
>Macfags are PROUD of using AyyMD
holy fucking shit, that pretty much says it right there, Apple can charge $3000 for a laptop that uses a bargain-bin tier GPU that melts down and fries your motherboard and they'll consider it innovation.

Also, watch this you hipster faggot. This is the power of your "creative professional" computer, absolutely annihilated in every GPGPU benchmark by a single GTX 780
https://youtu.be/3iwbLkCAbwU
>>
>>57296362
>There's literally no reason not to offer more ram

Except that there literally is.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/10/28/apple-macbook-pro-16gb-ram-limitation-battery-efficiency/
>>
>>57296475
>creative workers tend to prefer a touch screen these days

Go back to bed Satya.
>>
>>57294820
Apple completely fucked up with the Mac pro and is between a rock and a hard place on how to address it. If they stick with the trashcan design they're going to piss off business customers, again, with their throttling, non-serviceable, "workstation" that's main focus is being compact, something that companies couldn't give less of a shit about. Or if they ditch it and return to a standard tower they're admitting to the world "We don't have the faintest idea what our customers want other than our products to look nice."

I'm not even going to respond to your claims that a laptop or an all in one is capable of doing serious work.
>>
>>57296753
>I'm not even going to respond to your claims that a laptop or an all in one is capable of doing serious work.

Truth hurts, huh?

Does the thought of professionals working on thin, ultraportable laptops threaten your sense of masculinity?

Does a big, bulky, noisy tower help with your erectile dysfunction?
>>
>>57296314
Lol I do actual work on my early 2015 mbp, which is pretty much iterm2, chrome, and some idle vagrant vms in virtualbox. Really not stressing stuff, fan is on full blast all the time. I have 2 1200p monitors hooked up to it and leave the lid closed, not using the laptop display.
>>
>>57294820
Best Buy has some Mac Book Air for their Deal of the Day.

>8GB ram
>128 GB
>$900, after $100 off

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-macbook-air-latest-model-13-3-display-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-128gb-flash-storage-silver/6443034.p?skuId=6443034

What the fuck.
>>
>>57296883
>chrome
>fan is on full blast all the time

Gee, I wonder why.
>>
>>57294820
Or maybe it's because Mac Pros are complete a joke of a product because actual Workstations, and Custom built PCs destroy Mac Pro in every way. Apple is realizing that Mac Pro would bombed in the modern market. So they just market MBP and IMAC as workstations instead. Nobody gives a fuck about the Mac Pro. The people who want a high peformance Desktop Mac built hackintoshes.

see
>>57296548

or

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/04/palmer-luckey-oculus-mac-when-apple-release-a-good-computer

Also All in One and Mobile Workstation laptop don't compare to the performance of a desktop.
>>
>>57296832
>Does the thought of professionals working on thin, ultraportable laptops threaten your sense of masculinity?
Making a slideshow in imovie of your vacation photos isn't work and it doesn't make you a professional.
>Does a big, bulky, noisy tower help with your erectile dysfunction?
Funny, it's actually the mac pro with its anorexic design that sounds like a hair dryer. Every other company seems to be aware that having multiple large fans spinning at a lower RPM is quieter while moving more air so hopefully Apple implements this some time within the next decade.
>>
>>57296475
>too bad creative workers tend to prefer a touch screen these days

Speaking as a creative that is about to pre order the Surface Studio, this is bullshit. Touch screens don't belong on laptops or desktops. The SS is an edge case because it reclines into a drawing tablet. It's the pen input that matters here. That's what creatives want. I don't know anyone that uses the touch screen on a laptop that isn't a convertible.

Also lol at those videos of people using Photoshop with a fucking touchpad. You need a mouse at minimum if you're doing anything more involved than memes.
>>
>>57296753
>what killed the Mac Pro

Mac Pro update was basically a swan song anyways. Line was long dead before that point simply due to having zero realistic options for upgrades. You had to decide between flashing some card or overpaying for one that never moved down in price after 3-4 years.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.