[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New Laptop for dev

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: XPS 13.png (222KB, 504x350px) Image search: [Google]
XPS 13.png
222KB, 504x350px
So

I have previously had a MBP which is now dead and a desktop.

I want to buy a new laptop that will mainly be used for development maybe a tiny bit of photoshop and can be hooked up to an external monitor.

I was waiting on the new Macbook Pros but after the ridiculous price hike in the UK and the fact that the only think they added was that gimmick touch bar I'm out.

I'm considering the XPS 13 Kaby Lake, however I have a some reservations:

Does anyone here do development work on a 13 inch laptop? If so is it practical?

Will an XPS hook up to an external monitor fine with no performance issues?

Is FHD 1080p fine or is QHD touch actually good on a 13 inch laptop?

Windows vs the Ubuntu developer addition?

Any other machines that can compete with the XPS?
>>
Also 13 inch vs 15?
>>
Come on /g/ you weren't always this dead.
>>
>>57292593
No idea about the kaby lake xps, but the skylake and broadwell ones had lots of quality control issues

Also, since it's a 13.3" screen in a 11.6" form factor the keyboard feels a bit cramped. I personally couldn't imagine doing any more work on it than typing a few lines of code.
>>
>>57292593
Go fuck yourself
>>
>>57292703
/g/, and 4chan, are dead for real this time
>>
>>57292703
fuck off OP you weren't always this gay.
i'd recommend thinkpads, since they won't die in few years like mbp.

but seriously, if you bought a mbp for development, you must have some issues
>>
>>57292807

I was given the MBP as a gift.

Worth buying a second hand ThinkPad?
>>
Probably worth getting one of the skylake ones as they should come down in price now. There's little discernable difference.
>>
>>57292593
I am also in the same boat and considering the following;

XPS 13"
Thinkpad X1 Carbon
Thinkpad X1 Yoga
Microshaft Surface Book

-- The surface book is actually quite appealing and a few people have the surface pro at work, hook it up to 2 displays and do development work fine. The book seems like a good choice.

Other than that, I will probably go for the XPS, then yoga, then carbon.
>>
>>57292593
>Does anyone here do development work on a 13 inch laptop? If so is it practical?
I usually plug my 13" rMBP to a keyboard and two monitors at work, and it's fine obviously. I don't know if I would like to use the built-in display for work, probably not.

>Will an XPS hook up to an external monitor fine with no performance issues?
It's 2016 dude, of course you won't have any performance issues.

>Is FHD 1080p fine or is QHD touch actually good on a 13 inch laptop?
Touch is retarded on laptops and with 1080p you have less problems with scaling etc on Windows and Linux.

>Windows vs the Ubuntu developer addition?
Up to you

>Any other machines that can compete with the XPS?
Depends on what you are looking for. Personally, I think the XPS looks pretty shitty and has poor built quality. There are better alternatives, specifically if thinness is not a priority (and it really shouldn't be these days).
>>
>>57292945

What else would you recommend then? That's the same specs wise?
>>
>>57293026
considering what he said he is obviously going to shill thinkpad

read or watch any review of XPS line
and then compare it with claims of shitty build quality of some random anon retard
>>
>>57293063

Ok, so on the XPS front, 4k is just a meme or is it worth the extra?
>>
>>57293122
4k is to be avoided
the guy is probably shill with how much he shat on XPS
but he is not retard
you will avoid scaling issues and I read some complains on 4k monitors quality

also buy from amazon, or some place where you can return easily, without questions, you might have coil whine or some issues...

with all being said
you should watch youtube reviews of dell XPS and thinkpads before buying
https://www.youtube.com/user/MobileTechReview/videos
>>
>Does anyone here do development work on a 13 inch laptop?

Linus Torvalds recently switched from using a Google Chromebook Pixel to the developer model of the Dell XPS 13 and he's a very happy camper so yes, people do use them for development purposes.
>>
>>57293122
It takes much longer to get everything working if you're working primarily with linux. But once you do its great.
>>
Enjoy your coil whine
>>
A 16:9 13' screen is really 2small4me.
I would prefer the xps15 since it also has the quad-core cpu, and is actually as big as normal 14' laptops.
>>
>>57292593
MBP is your only real option if you want OSX, and as a developer you'll probably agree that you do want OSX.
>>
>>57292703
What the fuck do you expect us to do? Sell you a laptop? Give you reasons to buy and not buy one based on our own subjective criteria? You'll rarely get proper help here and you'll regret trusting /g/ if you don't/can't do your own bloody research. What is your budget?

>Does anyone here do development work on a 13 inch laptop? If so is it practical?
Up to you. I see it as a very nice compromise between portability and screen size.

>Will an XPS hook up to an external monitor fine with no performance issues?
Of course.

>Is FHD 1080p fine or is QHD touch actually good on a 13 inch laptop?
Up to you. I see no value in touch with the shitty integration it has on desktop OSes. Larger resolution is always nice but it comes at a significant cost to battery life here. You mentioned Photoshop so color accuracy and gamut should be at least as important as mere resolution. XPS doesn't do too well on these.

Up to you but you did want Photoshop so I'd get Windows.

Surface Book, Lenovo's X1 Carbon, Macbook Pro

>>57293122
Absolutely fucking retarded question once again. End yourself.
>>
>>57292593
Depends what you're doing. I use Xcode maximised on a 27" 1440p monitor, with a 23" 1080p for a browser and terminals, and it still feels cramped sometimes. I'd be pretty miserable trying to do all this on any size of laptop, never mind 13".
>>
>>57292593
>>57293169
>Linus Torvalds recently switched from using a Google Chromebook Pixel to the developer model of the Dell XPS 13 and he's a very happy camper so yes, people do use them for development purposes.

this goes for both of you retards
Linus is a smart person
he uses notebook like notebook
when he actually needs portability
he does not sit at home in front of XPS and code
thats retarded

notebooks are for mobility, not to replace your at home development rig
sure with some second monitor, mech keyboard and docking station its all the same, but there actually needs to be reason for this portability desire

most retards dont have that reason, they just retarded
>>
I'm also in this situation, although I may decide in favor of the new 13" MBP that still has the function keys. The touchbar thing is too damn pricy.

If it's for development, your favorite Linux would make more sense, unless of course you develop for Windows

What about these Xiaomi things /g/ went mad about some time ago? Assuming they ship out of their Glorious Chinese Empire?

Also, a Nazi /pol/tard suggested Schenker laptops (assembled in Germany) if you're in Europe. They have professional and gaming machines.
>>
File: razerblade.jpg (42KB, 800x613px) Image search: [Google]
razerblade.jpg
42KB, 800x613px
new razer blade
>>
>>57292593
Even with an infinite amount of money the new MBPs seem shit because they ruined the keyboard. It just feels awful to type on their new ultra shallow key travel keyboards.

Dell XPS, and modern chinkpads have decent keyboard and ok-ish build quality.
>>
>>57294382
>What about these Xiaomi things /g/ went mad about some time ago?

Buying 1st gen chink products that are specifically made with only the chinese market in mind is never a good idea.
>>
I have the XPS 13 9350 DE and it is fantastic. Had to return one for coil whine though.

The 4k screen is great. I never use the touchscreen though.

Scaling works out of the box with gnome 3. Connecting to 1080p monitors sucks unless you manually rescale them with X.

Best laptop I have ever owned so far.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.