[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Elon Musk reveals new Solar Roof

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 33

File: Based musk.jpg (110KB, 735x559px) Image search: [Google]
Based musk.jpg
110KB, 735x559px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mUJnKI3ipI

So how long till energy companies murder him?
>>
they will murder him when i have such house and a car

so he will probably die of old age before anyone has to kill him
>>
>>57291246
It's not aimed at neets anyhow.. Normies can afford it because it eliminates electricity costs and worth the initial investment
>>
> glass roof

Great idea...
>>
He is not really a good speaker.
But damn these roofs looks good.
What he didn't show is how these tiles are connected.
Are they connected to the other tiles when placed? and does this mean that part of the roof will stop working if one is damaged?
Or is there wires, so you need to link all tiles that way?
Does anyone know?
>>
>>57291323
less people will throw bricks...
>>
SOLAR FREAKIN' ROOFS
>>
>>57291278
im in education tho
so not neet yet
>>
>>57291370
it might be connected the same way solar panels are connected : strings if panels in series with bypass protection
>>
>>57291215
I don't know anything about roofs, but could hail and storm debris be a probably? I know it's already stronger, but damage is damage and how expensive is it to fix or replace them
>>
>>57291323
>>57291376
Check out 13:18, lads
He did it, the madman
>>
>>57291469
Maybe it's made from that crazy glass that's able to resist being hit with a hammer, I forgot what it's called.
>>
>>57291370
My guess would be some kind of grid
>>
>>57291469
>>57291488
It's pretty resistable
look here>>57291476
>>
>>57291498
>terra cotta
>clay
>slate
He doesn't compare it to the most common roofing material, asphalt shingles. Composite slate and metal rooves are even more durable. At least compare it to wood. I'm not convinced.
>>
>needs a sparky and a roofer to install

nope
it costs too much it's never taking off
>>
>>57291652
Since he's comparing it to terra cotta, clay, and slate, my guess is that he's not aiming it for low end housing.
>>
>>57291215
Wow, this is so progressive

It's so good to focus on clean energy like solar.

These things will probably only be more expensive than nuclear, more environmentally damaging because of the manufacturing of the solar panels and the return of investment may only take 100 years (assuming you don't replace them in 50 years when better solar panels come out) and they may be more dangerous than nuclear, or at less that the amount of deaths caused by mishandling them and the batteries will cause more than the terrorist attack on a safe nuclear reactor that never happens.

Wow. What so innovative and incredible. truly a genius.
>>
>>57291370
>He is not really a good speaker.
For the life of me I don't understand why he insists on holding these himself. His presentations are painful to watch. Would it really be that hard to get a few days of rhetoric coaching?
>>
>>57291699
Far greater injuries and deaths will occur in the manufacturing and installation of these things than have occurred in the US nuclear industry.

It's just business when a roofer falls and breaks his neck, but if a nuclear worker gets exposed to higher than allowed levels of radiation, it's a national crisis.
>>
>>57291756
>not being progressive
SHAME SHAME SHAME

ENVIRONMENT HATER

GO SMOKE SOME CIGARETTES AND DRIVE YOUR DIESEL TRUCK
>>
File: master race.jpg (31KB, 551x245px) Image search: [Google]
master race.jpg
31KB, 551x245px
>>57291774
>DIESEL
>>
>>57291215
he literally bolted solar cells to clay roof tiles

people actually left their house, dressed up mind you, to see a guy talk about bolting a solar cell to a clay roof tile..

>>
>>57291774
Oh sorry, I forgot that simple facts are bad for the environmental/progressive love fest.

Yes sir, I'll hop in my Prius, for which the production of the batteries create an enormous amount of toxic waste, and get similar mileage to a 95 geo metro. I'll also make sure to ditch the cigs, and instead vape up, inhaling heavy metals, diacetyl, pentanedione, and acetoin.
>>
>>57291215
>cloudy day:no internet, no light, food got bad,can't cook/heat food
Thanks Elon Musk for your overpriced solar panels so you can further research solar energy cause now it's complete crap!
>>
>>57291840
>people actually left their house, dressed up mind you, to see a guy talk about bolting a solar cell to a clay roof tile..
wow, the biggest travesty this year, really makes you think
>>
>>57291215
>hey guys we're building a hyperloop
>hey guys we're soldier electric, self driving cars
>hey guys we're building a spaceship

>hey guys we're building a solar roof

Cant he just stick to one project and get it done
>>
>>57291923
one works
one is on the works
and this one just announced

what is hyperloop?
>>
>>57291936
they're all being worked on. I'm not saying it cant be done, obviously its not just one team working on them all, but surely this is just gonna divide his resources

Hyperloop is basically a very fast train
>>
>>57291869
you're still going to have a connection to the grid
Plus any half assed setup has backup batteries.
>>
>>57291215
I just can't listen to this fucker speak. He just has no communication skils.
>>
>>57291869
Realistically it would probably be a grid where every house is still connected to power but you just pay much less depending on how much your solar panels produce

This would cut out the necessity of a battery in every house, which has obvious downsides, but it would still leave people paying a bill to the grid company.

People have to understand that if you're spending so much money initially in solar panels that you'll only break even in 50 years then that's a bad investment.
>>
>>57291215
>So how long till energy companies murder him?
They wont murder him because he is doing the hard work of R&Ding how to scale up solar panels / batteries.

Once thats done they will buy his shit out, or simply become distributors of his products taking a fat margin off the profits.
>>
>>57291869
Can I introduce you to the Tesla Powewall™
>>
>>57291923
I'd prefer they perfect the electric, and then self driving, car.

That's the most realistic success, and it has huge implications for society.

Moon shot projects like spaceships and solar roofs for the wealthy are drains on resources.
>>
>>57292002
I agree mate, I'd rather they master the electric car, and then master self driving cars
But instead, they're basically saying 'No we'll master both at the same time'
>>
>>57292002
I don't think solar freaking roofs is a drain on resources since the company he bought was already working and it has a common background with his cars
>>
>>57291979
>pay much less
Generation, maintenance, and delivery costs don't magically go down because you use less energy from the electric company. The actual cost savings will be to the electric company as they may not have to build more plants to cover future demand.
>>
>>57291914
>makes me think
about how stupid and easily amused the masses are
>>
>>57291618
>He doesn't compare it to the most common roofing material
When I look around town I see 99% terra-cotta and clay roof tiles.
>>
>>57292168
That's great and all but asphalt shingles are the dominant roofing material in the US.
>>
>>57292002
>>57292017
contrary to popular belief, R&D doesn't just scale with the amount of money you throw at it. at some point you just can't develop things any faster even if you have a ton of money.

also solar roofs synergize extremely well with electric cars.
>>
File: 1461561571422.jpg (45KB, 541x424px) Image search: [Google]
1461561571422.jpg
45KB, 541x424px
>>57292081
>>
>>57291215
I wonder bout the efficiency over temperature, cooling and its life expectancy. People usually make this kind of shit for northern region climate.
>>
What would be the consequences of that, on the mondial energy industry ? I mean Paypal changed the way to use banking operations for people who needed something cheaper, easy to use....So solaar roof system and energy products could be a real change in a big scale...but that depends what taxes and acces ?
>>
>here's your $5000 monthly interest bonus from your fat ass savings
>here's a solar roof so you never have to pay for electricity again

Godamn even having money by itself makes money, you don't even need to spend the actual money
>>
>>57291215
i don't really get it.. whats new about it ? it's a common thing to have your roof plastered with solar panels where i'm from
>>
>>57291215
Why would they murder him? Mercedes and Toyota own Tesla and his solar panel company is technically bankrupt already.
>>
>>57293670
>hurr durr this hyped tech is just existing tech but hyped
we know
>>
>own solar roof
>Get snow in winter
>die
>>
>>57291215
It's a debunked idea
>>
File: canada solar panel.jpg (93KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
canada solar panel.jpg
93KB, 540x720px
>>57291215
>>
>>57291215
I'm still having a hard time figuring out how expensive electric cars and solar roofs benefits anyone but rich people.
>>
this is very impressive
>>
>>57293850
Most of the people buying Teslas are rich hipsters who want to be on the trend, and ironically they're the people less worried about having to pay for gas since they'll usually have a big ass gas guzzling merc anyways.
>>
>>57293877
>ass gas guzzling
heh
>>
>>57293850
This kind of projet in Africa (energy for light, phones...) with solar energy
http://akonlightingafrica.com/?lang=fr
>>
>>57293850
>>57293877
How could you not understand what he's doing? He's putting money on the market and showing other manufacturers that you can actually make a profit because people would pay an extra to even sightly help the environment. Once other companies enter the market, competition starts, tons of money get into R&D and technology becomes less expensive. Even when Tesla alone technology have become cheaper over time.
>>
>>57293850
Why would you make something to sell to poor people?
They have no fucking money
>>
>>57293951
>He's putting money on the market and showing other manufacturers that you can actually make a profit
He's not putting anything, Tesla is subsidized to hell apart from being owned by other car manufacturers like Mercedes.
It's always been a niche market operation and it will continue be so no matter how much bullshit Musk spouts in his gibberish accent.
>>
>>57291774
I know this is a meme, but some people actually believe that diesel is worse than unleaded.
>>
>>57293850
Rick people can afford it now. So in 10years poor people can afford it too.
>>
>>57291215
Meme company used to hide money flow issues
>>
>>57291215
Can someone teach him how to do good presentations ? He is stuttering all over the pace.
>>
>>57293992
You didn't follow the news of Volkswagen, huh?
>>
>>57294052
B-but anon, he wants to be like Steve and scam the normies.
>>
Those panels looked insanely reflective in the presentation. They can't follow the sun either, so they need to have low reflectivity over a wide range of incidence angles.
This is definitely a case of "form before function".
>>
>>57291950
>>57291936
Hyperloop is FUD designed to stop rail projects that compete for users with automobiles. Considering Musk owns an automobile company, his motivation is clear. Also note that he has 'released the Hyperloop to the world' so he doesn't need to actually produce anything but the gaggles of grad students using the design for their master's projects guarantees it will stay in the news without ever accomplishing anything.
>>
>>57294052
He's probably nervous that half his bullshit will be found out as bullshit.
>>
File: 8291033_G.jpg (71KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
8291033_G.jpg
71KB, 640x360px
>>57291370
>>57291710
>>57294052
He doesn't use teleprompters and wings every speech. Some people are good at that (like pic related), others aren't.
>>
>>57291974
Hilarious that he was able to pay off a movie studio enough to claim they based Tony Stark on Elon Musk.
>>
>>57294824
I'm sure the much smarter than us 600k/yr engineers at tesla measured the light spectrum and made a good compromise between aesthetics and performance.
>>
>>57294897
Well you can't blame him, Trump is a professional conman while Elon is just the typical megalomaniac tyrant CEO with delusions of grandeur who can't even speak in english right.
>>
File: 1337900805467.png (228KB, 459x441px) Image search: [Google]
1337900805467.png
228KB, 459x441px
So uh how is this any better than regular rooftop solar installations?

This kinda gives me a solar roadways vibe as in reinventing the wheel for double the cost and even less efficiency.
>>
>>57294926
Are you saying that a fat weeb on a chinese forum doesn't know better that a team of tens of even hundreds of engineers?
>>
>>57292017
>>57291923
>we will stick our fingers into every single fashionable meme technology there is

This is why I hate this socially retarded cunt. He may be prodigal genius kid, but right now his function in society is to be a beacon corporations throw money at when they want NCR points
>>
>>57294949

his brain works too fast for his mouth, it's a common trait among geniuses
>>
>>57295021
Sure Elon.
>>
>>57291370
He didn't mention a lot of things.

One thing he did mention was that if you were building a new house you'd want solar panels, but if you already have an existing house it would make more sense to replace your roof with these tiles.... that implies what you'd think would be true anyway that they're not as efficient as current solar panels.

Still a lot of questions to be answered...
>>
>>57294954
Cheaper and easier to install without ruining the aesthetics of the house.
>>
>>57293850
the same way anything expensive profits the general pleb after sever years
pcs were too expensive but thanks to richfags and companies buying it the development went so far as to become a universal tool most plebs in the west have

everything that is new and shiny is expensive as long as it is new
>>
It's literally right in the video. "These panels are highly reflective/visible at low incidence angles". Like the ones they'll be at 99% of the time since they're being installed on a heavily sloped rooftop.

>>57294926
How most people operate:
1. Someone is trying to sell you something.
2. Investigate. Do the manufacturer's performance claims hold water?
3. Based on the evidence that you have collected, decide whether the product is worth buying.

How you operate:
1. Read a press release.
2. Reason that if the product weren't good, they wouldn't be selling it.
3. Pre-order.
>>
>>57295194
It goes for all new technology that's not easy to manufacture. At first shit is ridiculously expensive and as more people buy into it and adopt.... it gives the sector more money to reinvest into expanding production and better techniques, which lowers prices.

People have to actually adopt it, though.
>>
>>57295162

Isn't It normally cheaper to get one big thing Instead of a bunch of small things?

Ease of Installation wise I doubt there's much of a difference considering It's a product that's aimed at new constructions, solar panel Installations don't take that long nor are they that difficult to install. Also a bunch of small panels sounds like a pain wiring wise as well as expensive since connectors for this sort of thing aren't cheap.

I do agree on the aesthetic aspect though.
>>
>>57295436
It's really cheaper to get smaller solar cells, the bigger it is, the more chance to break it during manufacturing or transportation.
>>
>>57294954
>>57295436
The first layer of each tile is a solar panel. The second layer is a wafer of material designed to reflect/scatter most of the light before it can reach the solar panel, so that a nice color hits your eyes.
So it will inarguably be more expensive than a regular solar panel installation, less efficient, and nicer looking.
>>
>>57293740
>>
This is the future. I hope.

>every house is a solar farm
>residential energy independent from energy grids
>negligible harmful environmental emissions
>>
>>57295866
>Solar cells last only 12 months and need constant upgrade.
>>
>>57294949
proof?
>>
>>57295866
>negligible harmful environmental emissions
You have no clue how solar cells are made, don't you?
>>
>>57295926
Freetards don't believe in embodied energy, that's why they always complain about the price of Windows and Apple hardware.
>>
>>57295926
Isn't crystalline silicon recyclable?
>>
>>57295587

Looking at how solar panels are made seems like they're composed of smaller panels probably to raise the wields so I guess they shouldn't have much problems with manufacturing though they'd still have trouble with transport.

Modern rooftops panels are surprisingly resistant seeing as they're designed to be exposed to the environment where all sorts of shit can hit them but on the other hand I don't doubt how gorilla like can the people in charge of shipping and transportation be.

>>57295625

Makes me curious as to return on Investment calculations will turn out compared to regular rooftop installations.

I predict we'll be getting a video from dave and thunderfoot shortly on this matter.
>>
>>57295770
>snow from roof melts and drips down onto your porch/front of garage/driveway/wherever
>refereezes into ice
>slip and break your legs trying to leave your house

thanks elon musk
>>
>>57295436
Bro, you don't read OR listen. It's a product NOT aimed at new construction, but it IS a product aimed at existing construction. Basically when it's time you replace your roof, the cost is about the same... why wouldn't you replace it with a roof that harvests energy?

It's like.. you're not even trying...
>>
>>57296026
>what are drainpipes
>>
>>57296044
>Basically when it's time you replace your roof
What? Si this an American thing? You guys periodically replace your roofs?
>>
>>57296026
better than your roof collapsing from the weight of the snow....
>>
>>57296044
>existing american homes
>rotten cardboard buildings that will be completely gone in the next tornado
Yeah, very sustainable.
>>
>>57296066
>What? Si this an American thing? You guys periodically replace your roofs?

Most of the US uses shingles. And they don't last forever... you can usually shingle over old shingles one time so you don't have to remove the old shingles which adds to the work needed.... but yeah... what do you think we keep the mexicans around for?
>>
>>57295770
G O D
A M O N G S T
M E N
>>
File: 1475703954349.jpg (268KB, 600x546px) Image search: [Google]
1475703954349.jpg
268KB, 600x546px
Elon is literally /our guy/.

Only /v/edditors hate him because he's a high-functioning autist, and they're jealous.
>>
>>57296044

Cause depending on the price and efficiency it just isn't financially viable, you'd just be throwing away money.

Regular roof solar panels are already cutting It closing so any slight price increase as well as lower efficiency can quickly condemn the viability of this sort of thing.
>>
>>57291215
Waiting for Dave Jones to debunk this
>>
>>57296121
also a bunch of autists hate him here because he's accomplishing things that the autists only dreamed of and they can't believe it's now real (and that they didn't create it themselves)
>>
>>57296108
>>57296108
>G O D
>A M O N G S T
>M E N
Elon obviously values everyone's retardation.
>>
File: notfrom9gag.jpg (64KB, 625x468px) Image search: [Google]
notfrom9gag.jpg
64KB, 625x468px
>>57296136
>they can't believe it's now real
>>
>>57296123
You start your sentence off making it obvious you have no knowledge of the price or efficiency, and in the same breath you say it's not financially viable.

You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?

If the cost and installation of the solar roof is comparable to a traditional roof (shingles)... but continuously harvests energy every day (thus reducing your reliance on more expensive energy from the grid)... it could very easily be MORE financially feasible to choose the solar roof.

If you don't understand that, feel free to excuse yourself from this conversation. The adults are trying to talk.
>>
>>57296066
>What? Si this an American thing? You guys periodically replace your roofs?
Americans aren't used to living in run-down shacks.

Buildings don't last forever, and no building lasts too long without maintenance. Even (especially) the great structures of the old world requires a shit ton of maintenance.

A good residential roof, depending on the type, will last about 20-30 years. If you're going significantly over that, you're really not maintaining your home very well and you'll likely have a catastrophic break that will require the entire roof to be replaced anyway.

So generally you're going to replace a roof at least once in your home-owning life. I just replaced my parents' roof actually. Was not cheap, but it had to be done (the house is decades old).
>>
>>57296102
Doesn't matter what type. They will all need to be replaced eventually. Slate, copper, and tile roofs MAY last upwards of 50 years though, but in practice, when have you seen a residential tile roof that doesn't look like shit after a decade?
>>
>>57294949
>can't even speak in english right
He has company.
>>
>>57291215
Will watch later, but I just bought 6 LED light bulbs.
11W -- 1100 lums.

And why he not reveal Tesla Free NRG?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xuAeCC0O5w
Infinite ionic NRG 4 ALL

Fucking dude owns Tesla Motors; how he not into FOSE (Free and Open-Source Energy)
Even I into THAT.
>video related
Needa update this shit at some point... it's very inefficient on this scale, but not enough $$$
>>
That's Elon Musk? He's getting a bit fat.
>>
>>57296026
>my house can clear its own roof of snow
>I'm such a cunt I can't help but find flaws
>I never installed a gutter system
>fuck yeah, I've found my route to the whinery
>>
>>57291215
it must be nice to live in that neighborhood, more than likely in cali, where there's almost sun all year around, no black people to vandalize the roofs or simply nick them, no dust that would impact efficiency drastically.
which reminds me, how often would these tiles should be cleaned? at least once every fortnight, i would guess.

also, motherfucking autism speaks, holy shit
>>
File: softball.jpg (109KB, 686x538px) Image search: [Google]
softball.jpg
109KB, 686x538px
>>57296233
Especially where I live... we get golf ball or bigger sized hail at least once every 5 years or so.... sometimes they get up to grapefruit sized and destroy just about anything they hit except concrete. They'll go right through a roof.
>>
File: Ytxr8gx.jpg (22KB, 446x362px) Image search: [Google]
Ytxr8gx.jpg
22KB, 446x362px
>solar panels generate electricity the more sunlight and heat there is
>global warming is getting worse and worse each and every year
>more and more people will buy solar panels since the yields are greater due to global warming
>this in turn has people switch more and more people to solar panels and implement them in cars later on and stuff too
>global warming slows down or perhaps even stops down the line
>now the panels and shit you bought doesn't work nearly as well as it did before and elon has successfully scammed you

thanks, elon
>>
>>57295948
>Windows and Apple
>>
>>57296296
Did someone just say autism speaks?
>>
>>57296296
The sun's intensity doesn't change, faggot (well it does, but it has nothing to do with CO2 levels). CO2 just makes the Earth retain more of the heat when it gets here. It's like the difference walking into a snowstorm naked and walking into a snowstorm wearing winter gear. Think of the winter gear as CO2 and you are the Earth.
>>
>>57296206

>If the cost and installation of the solar roof is comparable to a traditional roof (shingles)

Which It obviously won't since it's a much more complex system to interconnect a shitload of small panels compared to three or four large panels and to make matters worse they obviously will cost a hell of a lot more than regular shingles since it's a lot more complex and expensive to manufacture solar panels.
>>
an actual god
>>
>>57293992
For global warming nah, but for your lungs? All those small particles cause higher rates of asthma and shit.
>>
>>57291215
>solar roofs
>trees taller than the roofs everywhere.
>>
>>57296296
do you even know how solar panel works?
heat kills panel and work less efficiently.
>>
>>57295770
I ran the numbers on this, and I think melting accumulated snow with stored power is feasible IF the temperature is just below freezing. My calculations give me something on the order of 10 minutes of stored production to melt 1cm of snow, assuming 100% of the energy is transferred into the snow somehow (a few cm of snow is not too bad of an insulator), you're getting 100W out of every 1m^2 of panels since it's the dead of winter, 1m^3 of snow is 160kg, and it costs 33.5kJ/kg to convert ice to water.
In my city we get about 2cm of snow per day on average during the winter, so let's say we use up 20 minutes of stored capacity, and whatever production we sacrifice while we're waiting for the snow to melt on a daily basis. So a best-case scenario where all the heat energy reaches the snow isn't too bad, at least if the ambient temperature is 0 and we heat the rooftop to just above 0.
If we're living somewhere where it's say, -20 dry-bulb in the winter, we now have to heat the tiles and the snow 20 degrees before we can start melting it. The main issue with this is not the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of the snow (small compared to the cost to melt it at 0 degrees), but the fact that once the snow melts, the tiles are no longer insulated by the snow and quickly give up the 20C worth of heat energy stored in the tiles to the surrounding air.
The energy cost of keeping the roof heated to 0C all winter would be astronomical, so I'm assuming that the roof would only be heated when it snows.
I think melting snow on rooftops could be viable in areas where snow is consistent from year to year but light, and where the temperature only gets a few degrees below zero. It would still probably chew up 10% or more of your production.

>>57296026
This guy has a point too. If you live in an area where it snows a lot, you're going to be dealing with a LOT of runoff. You'd have to be really careful with keeping your gutters clear of ice.
>>
>>57291215

Its a great idea, but wont work. Thy cherry picking of roofing material (was funny) and they left out 'asphalt shingles' in their drop test and there's very few homes that have slate tiles so why did they even add that on there?

Comparing to Tesla glass vs terracotta, clay which in a hail storm can suffer 10% of damage or so, in the terracotta situation the only issue you need to worry about is water leaking in which can be fixed (and bought quickly at any home improvement store or contractor). but with the Tesla glass would you also have to worry about a whole grid of solar panels going out and also waiting for one company to produce more tiles and having to wait longer to get both your roof replaced and running on either no solar power or half, more wait time = higher chances of mold & water damage.
>>
>>57296341
You are making assumptions
>obviously

The up front purchase might be larger, but the savings over the lift of the roof could more than make up for it.

They could also be relatively easy to install and/or replace if is damaged from something like hail... think plug and play... and it's also an aesthetics thing... they actually look good.

Btw... if any of this is 'complex' to you, maybe you need to find a new hobby....
>>
Homeowners associations will kill this.
>>
>>57296557
Why? It looks nice, and it's expensive.
>>
>ITT a bunch of "IT WONT WORK TRUST ME" anons
kek no wonder you guys have never accomplished anything in your lives and are stuck here shitposting
>>
>>57296619

t. solar roadways backer.
>>
Test
>>
Why do so many people on /g/ hate this man?

Like, what are the actual reasons? How is he different than say, the CEO of General Electric or Boeing?

Does /g/ just hate business people in general ?
>>
By all means go for it. I live in a tropical environment, so I don't have to worry about shitty snow. I could very well pick it up. Thing is that solar would be great if it wasn't inefficient shit. At least it has an endgame when it really starts to take off.
Hydro is nice, but the accidents and the environmental implications are a little worrying.
Wind can fuck off.
Nuclear is the one we need. Pick up fission in any form while solar and fusion catch up, then we can finally solve our energy needs.
>>
>>57296631
i actually backed that new chinese streetcar :)
>>
>>57291215
I like the idea, dunno why you faggots are opposing this.
>>
Musk is pretty good looking desu
>>
>>57293850
"Lets not make this motorized horsewagon. Only the rich can afford one!"
>>
>>57296659

Aw fuck, even that was crowd funded?
>>
>>57296747
anything chinese is crowd funded if you know where to look 2bh
>>
>>57296693
If you don't remember ford t was cheap, meanwhile Musk want sell 20 years old chink technology, remember people use NOW solar panels, lurk more EEVblog.
>>
>>57296781
Wait for a poorfag company to do these things like ford did
>>
>>57296511

>The up front purchase might be larger, but the savings over the lift of the roof could more than make up for it.

I don't doubt it would work, I just don't think it would be better than just replacing your roof with regular shingles and Installing regular solar panels.

>Btw... if any of this is 'complex' to you, maybe you need to find a new hobby....

It's not complex to me but it is more complex than what we currently have, which will demand more time, materials and consequently money.
>>
>>57296359
There are particle traps in every diesel or heavy oil powered thing in every advanced country. VW scam was minimal, it grew in the news only because murica is so sue happy whenever they wont get what they were promised.
>>
File: 1388598357998.png (179KB, 330x448px) Image search: [Google]
1388598357998.png
179KB, 330x448px
>>57297044
>VW scam was minimal
Because USA gubement prevented second holocaust. Seriously germs always lie, especially about gas emissions and II WW. Thanks Obama!
>>
>>57297112
>Go to get "fix"
>MPG drops
Yeah they sure are protecting us consumers from the evils of better fuel efficiency.
>>
>>57291844
>or which the production of the batteries create an enormous amount of toxic waste
Not really, no.
>>
>>57297130
I prefer not to get cancer, thanks. Morons like you are the reason we need so much regulation on shit.
>>
Never?

Initial cost, maintenance, and weather make it costly and still give reason for people to hand energy companies money

>>57293992
it actually is

>higher levels of particulates and NOx
or
>more gimped engine
Petrol, ethanol-petrol plends, and straight ethanol > diesel. inb4 some faggot thinks Co2 matters when we can use nanotech to synthesize ethanol from Co2, among other ways of getting rid of the least consequential pollutant known to man

>build recapture facility
>doubles as ethanol production
>turns profit
>carbon neutral fuel
>>
>>57297181
>among other ways of getting rid of the least consequential pollutant known to man
I wouldn't say that, but it certainly wouldn't have as much of an impact if we stopped deforestation.
>>
File: 1368962729355.jpg (96KB, 724x720px) Image search: [Google]
1368962729355.jpg
96KB, 724x720px
>>57297156
>tfw motorcycles are exempt from emissions where you live because there are so few of them
>tfw catless aftermarket exhaust on a sportbike
>tfw cops don't care and biker wave at you from their cruisers
>wave back every time

enjoy cancer
>>
>>57297203

>motorcycles, the cancer of the roads
>>
>>57297156
Do you scream at anyone driving a car made before 2010 that they are giving people cancer too?

Fucking retard, it isn't even worth getting upset over.

Smart people will sell their car back to VW and just buy a new one.
>>
>>57297193
When Co2 finally causes irreversible damage, that damage will be limited to deep sea life that could easily be reduced with little consequence. By the time the harm to the ecosystem could begin to manifest, organisms would have adapted to higher acidity and resumed their sediment-devouring activities. In the meantime, we're genetically engineering coral that can resist surface acidity. Carbon dioxide is very far from the worst pollutant. Particulates, methane, and nitrous oxides are harder to get rid of and have stronger, more immediate effects.

>>57297214
I think you meant "bicycles"

Motorcycles don't really harm anyone but their riders, unless motorbikes "cutting in line" during gridlock pisses you off to the point of having a heart attack

You enjoy your dented doors, let them enjoy their snapped spines.
>>
>>57297203
You are the problem and so are the cops.
>>57297235
>Do you scream at anyone driving a car made before 2010 that they are giving people cancer too?
I don't follow. What do you think occurred in 2010? We've had strict emissions standards since the 70s for gasoline vehicles.
>>
>>57297283
>The problem

state legislature has declared it negligible, or, less concerning than people using wood and pellet stoves, because of how few people ride motorcycles regularly up here in the land of OH FUCK IT'S OCTOBER TIME TO FREEZE THE ROADS

please don't try to apply california rationales outside of california
>>
>>57297283
Cars without ODB2 ports are given a pass because the diagnostic shit they use doesn't interface with them, they check your 12v line and make sure you're muffler has pressure and call it good.
>>
File: file.png (444KB, 1269x622px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
444KB, 1269x622px
>>57291323
>>
>>57291215

I aint even gunna enter the thread but im sure there will be plenty of HURR SOLAR ROADS 2.0

Humanity is worthless
>>
>>57296636
cause he's not a NEET
>>
>>57297588
You are 100% correct.
>>
>>57291215
>Solar

This needs to stop.
>>
what I want to know is Z:
X = how much energy does it produce in a day on an average house
Y = how much energy does an average family use on a day
Z = #km/energy a model X drives * (X-Y)

That is, if Z is positive, how far can I drive without impacting the environment?
>>
>>57297214
t. cuck
>>
>>57297502
No longer affordable.
>>
File: hail.jpg (39KB, 550x417px) Image search: [Google]
hail.jpg
39KB, 550x417px
>>57297502
Huh, I wonder why they didn't include shingles in this comparison, far and away the most common roofing material in North America.
>>
>>57291215

Unless this is compatible with roofing warranties they can expect to sell zero of these to non-millionaires.
>>
>>57297845
he was doing a presentation to wealthy americans
the group that dont use shingles fwiw
>>
>>57291370

>Questions:

How much per tile, compared to a standard roof tile?

What's to stop people stealing them?

What's their thermal insulation like, compared to a thick clay tile?

How do they hold up during storms?

When will you break-even on the returns from the "free" electricity?
>>
>>57291278

Solar roofing is a pretty expensive investment and doesn't necessarily make you break even. It can take 15-20 years to recoup the costs of a typical solar installation.

If you live somewhere where there's variable weather patterns like much of the US, then you'll be replacing your entire roof well before you start coming out ahead of the purchase.
>>
>>57297792
t. cheap jabs
>>
>>57297989
>What's to stop people stealing them?
Their skin color.
>>
>>57291710
That's part of his charm. He's less of a hyper-polished salesman trying to sell you something with every breath and more of that enthusiastic nerdy kid who is excited to share something with you.
>>
>>57295055
They're about 98% as efficient as traditional panels and Tesla is currently working with 3M to develop a coating that will trap light in the panel, potentially making future revisions more efficient than traditional panels.
>>
>>57293980
Tesla (and for that matter, SpaceX) receive way less in subsidies than the old guard in either industry does. It's so stupid, the government can pour billions down the black holes known as GM and ULA and it's OK even if it's never paid back, but if they give some lunch money to the new guy to help him get built up and on the path to being competitive and it's the end of the world.
>>
>>57291215
>So how long till energy companies murder him?
His own products will get to him first.
>>
>>57298297
>they're about 98% as efficient as traditional panels
Show me the data.
>Tesla is currently working with 3M to develop a coating that will trap light in the panel
Just lol.
>>
>>57291215
>Tesla thinks that the ET's that are monitoring us will let us inhabit Mars
Kek, what a fucking idiot
>>
>>57298908
>Show me the data.
I first saw that number cited here: https://electrek.co/2016/10/28/tesla-solar-roof-options-gallery/

>Just lol.
It might sound stupid, but it's not as crazy as it sounds. With the right materials you can keep light bouncing around inside a medium a little longer before it escapes. This is what 3M is looking to do.
>>
>>57298908
>Just lol.
>what is greenhouse effect
>>
>>57291370
>he's not a good speaker
I think he's much more pleasant to listen to than your average marketing boy who claims something is amazing when he doesn't even know how it works
>>
>>57299268
>With the right materials you can keep light bouncing around inside a medium a little longer before it escapes.
Makes sense to me, given that fiber optics is a thing.
>>
>>57294897
Trump is bigly good at speech. Musk, not so much. Sad!
>>
>install skylight
>paint floor black
>free solar heating
>?????????
>profit
>>
>>57291681
Or just Europe.
>>
>>57299268

I'm skeptical about the whole thing but If this "98% as efficient as regular panels" is easily achievable than maybe It could be an interesting system.

Still gonna wait for practical test to see If they live up to the claims though.
>>
>>57297989
>What's to stop people stealing them?
That's actually a good point, I worked in security before and saw copper roofs completely stripped in one night while the owners were away
>>
someone really should teach him how to speak
>>
>>57299447
>getting skin cancer
>>
Didn't mention the price. Once they are "close" to a normal re-roof price there won't be much reason to not go solar.
>>
>>57299422
Fucking kek. This reads more like one of his tweets though. At least he is transparent in that way though
>>
>>57299486
from the you can't make this shit up department
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FMkKoHzQrY
>>
>>57299621
That's for hipsters that for some reason want a medieval style house. Expensive, worthless, and so easy to burn down.
>>
>>57291699
Nuclear is a dead end; the costs of construction have risen to stupid-high levels at this point. And for all your LFTR-will-save-us-all dreams, it'll take forty years to get that from paper to worldwide production.

There's probably a reason why Musk went into solar panels rather than nuclear reactors, mostly because you can *actually deploy* solar panels now instead of waiting a decade for the NRC to unfuck themselves and let you build expensive fail-deadly fuel-wasting reactors that Hyman Rickover would have approved of, at twice the promised price.
>>
>>57299645
Thatchers are still in business because of how many listed old houses have thatch and estates want to keep them with their original roof. I lived in a thatched house in an area with a lot more (south of england). yes they do have a tendency to burst into flames but aside from that and the cost of getting the thatch redone every 20 years or so they work just as well as any other roof
>>
>>57291840
It's not clay; it's glass, and it's (supposedly) cheap enough that the energy is worth more than the cost of making your roof solar-powered.

>>57291844
> ditch the cigs, and instead vape up, inhaling heavy metals, diacetyl, pentanedione, and acetoin

Vaping is worse than not smoking but better than smoking. I know vapers are smug, but it's still true.

http://slatestarcodex.com/2013/03/28/thank-you-for-doing-something-ambiguously-between-smoking-and-not-smoking/
>>
Solar Panels are already subsidized by the government, I got my roof lined in panels for literally free (except dumb Hawaiian taxes)
>>
>>57291984
And he'd be fine with that; his stated goal is to get these things (multiplanetary humans, clean energy) done, not to necessarily be the one who profits from them.

It makes a lot of sense that he's churning out new products and R&D so fast that his companies are constantly on the brink of bankruptcy.
>>
>>57291215
As someone who used to be a roofer

How will these be in -50C temperatures?
How will they handle 200km/h+ winds?
How will they handle hail?
How much will it cost to replace blow offs which tend to happen on new roofs?

Regular shingles have a strip which bonds them to the shingle underneath, these look like ice will get into the cracks and eventually lift them up and cause more blow offs over time. I've also done flat roofing on commercial buildings, and something like this will never work because it will never be insurable/warrentiable. It will turn all roofs into a 1 ply system and finding leaks will be an absolute nightmare. The only way I could see it working as something that gets placed on existing roofs, but then you have to figure out how to do that without causing damage to the roof underneath over time. That glass system will be way to hard to seal 100% water proof, and I can't see it lasting in extreme climates like mine (temperature swings from 40C to -50C most years, tornadoes and gale-force winds, hail, etc).

its a novel idea, but as it stands will only work in some parts of the world. There will need to be a design made of some kind of rubber or something you can heat weld for it to be accepted in commercial roofs though.
>>
>>57299795
>-50c
What you live in antartica?
>>
>>57299795
Where do you live that temps range from 104F to -58F with tornadoes?
>>
>>57299842
>>57299858
Winnipeg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_extreme_temperatures_in_Canada
>ctrl+f winnipeg, its on there for both extreme high and low
Although I forgot to mention that the -50 is with the windchill, -45 or something is probably the coldest I've experienced without wind. We'll also get maybe 2 or 3 days of 40C with the humidex, but usually the highest is around 35 or so. There was an f5 tornado not too far from the city a few years ago.

Because of this shit they're crazy strict about what materials get used for roofing here, and in order to get a warranty or insurance on it, they need to pass inspections and whatnot
>>
>>57299918
So most likely they wouldn't be a good idea for someone living under extreme weather conditions like yourself
>>
>>57291215
Dude is getting fat..
>>
>>57293740
Solar doesn't work because someone is too lazy to brush off those panels after it snows?
>>
>>57299976
What you don't see is the inch or two of ice buildup underneath that snow that will most likely damage the panel if you scrape it off.
>>
>>57300010
I scrape ice off my windshield on the regular in winter and its fine.
>>
>>57293730
They can include heating elements to melt the snow; it takes little enough heat that it's still energy-positive.
>>
>>57300033
Have you ever stood on an icy pitched roof?

Im >>57299918

The average person will not be climbing up onto their roof to do this, hell I doubt I even would having been on roofs professionally for years. There will be tons of people slipping and dying every year from these.

Although they could just have heaters built into them, but on heavy snowfalls theyll just create more ice underneath the snow and most likely end up using more power than they generate.
>>
>>57296410
Wat? Most of the time it's not snowing. Snow falls on the roof. Snow stops falling. Roof warms enough to get the snow to slide off (not literally melt all of the damned snow what the fuck). Roof produces delicious solar power until the next time snow falls. Smug and repeat.
>>
>>57300081
The panels I linked to aren't on a roof ya dingus.
>>
Not everyone lives in the artic circle. Cold canadians can burn whale oil for all I fucking care. The panels look cool
>>
>>57296636
He's a terrible, cringey public speaker. He works in politically-left spaces, so if you're not leftish, you won't like electric cars or solar panels. (Are rockets left-wing? That bit's kind of confusing.) He's also Silicon Valley-aligned, so if you're *actual* leftish, you'll think he's making toys for the nouveau riche and applying technological wizardry to social problems. And this is 4chan, so it's fun to be contrarian and trollish.

Them's my guesses, at least.
>>
File: house-and-snow.jpg (304KB, 1000x664px) Image search: [Google]
house-and-snow.jpg
304KB, 1000x664px
>>57300107
>>
>>57297181
>inb4 some faggot thinks Co2 matters when we can use nanotech to synthesize ethanol from Co2, among other ways of getting rid of the least consequential pollutant known to man
in after some twatwaffle doesn't understand that all industrial problems are energy problems, and if we had the non-carbon-ish energy to cheaply turn CO2 into ethanol we wouldn't be emitting the CO2 in the first place...
>>
>>57300139
Nice house but I don't get your point.

>>57300134
You can't like electric cars if you're not leftist? If anything I'd think conservatives would be all over not giving money to the middle east for oil.
>>
>>57300139
top comfy
>>
He said it would cost the same or even less than a regular roof
But i wanna know prices
>>
>>57296206
Being extremely condescending does nothing to better communicate your point, friend.
>>
>>57291844
You're an uneducated pleb, I just wanted to let you know.
>>
>>57300239
Regular roofs cost roughly $5/sq ft,
>>
>>57297756
Depends on your roof size (google.com/sunroof/data-explorer for some cool tools); let's say you live in... fucking Des Moines, IA. Median roof space to be used for solar is 388 sq ft, 6.8MWh production per year. Average household uses 10.8MWh/year (see https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=97&t=3). (Assuming plenty of time-shifting and shit.) So it wouldn't even cover your household usage.

But Des Moines is a frosty snowbitten wasteland. Let's go further south. If you live in North Port, FL, it's 1100 square feet and 21.8MWh/year. Now we're cooking! That's 11.0MWh/year left over.

The Model S gets around 3.5 miles/kWh. (https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/miles-kwh) Assume the X is worse, say, 3.0 miles/kWh. 11 MWh * 3000 miles/kWh = 30000 miles per year.

Probably multiply by 0.8 for all of the roundtrips through batteries and such; also note that the estimates here assume panels on the roof, not photovoltaic roof shingles.
>>
>>57300239
He said even less than a regular roof PLUS solar panels, not only a regular roof.
>>
>>57300306
>>57300306
wow, thanks! for certain areas living off the grid really seems possible then, nice. it must then follow that we can in fact reduce carbon emission a great lot in this way. hopes restored :)
>>
>>57298136
It really depends on your location and the arrangement you get. (google.com/sunroof has a pretty nifty tool.) Florida has shitty rules, so it's nineteen years to pay back; California has better, so it's more like eight there. (Or you can do a loan or a PPA/lease and not have it cost you anything out-of-pocket.)
>>
>>57299447
You think you're kidding, but solar water heating is a popular thing in climates where it doesn't freeze; costs 2-3k to install, and with an 80gal tank, you pretty much never have to pay for heat or hot water again, assuming you don't take ten showers a day.
>>
>>57300139
Snow clearing drones when?
>>
>>57300513
The tech is definitely there
>>
>>57294904
Musk is a shitty speaker but you do realize that the main reason why Downey sounds and looks so slick playing Tony Stark is because the studio spends about $1mil per minute to make him look good right?
>>
Are these conventional silicon photovoltaic cells?
>>
>>57300164
I know--the eastie-westie politics thing is *stupid*. You'd think that isolationism, local self-reliance (microgrids!), and all that would make it a fit for the right, but apparently environmentalism and top-down subsidies make it a better fit for the left, and you sure as hell can't have both.

(For more stupid politicization, see I-732 in Washington state.)
>>
>>57293980
>Tesla is subsidized to hell apart from being owned by other car manufacturers like Mercedes.
You do realize that the auto bailouts cost US taxpayers about $9.5 billion right? It's not that $9.5bil was loaned, something around $28bil was injected through TARP, $9.5 billion is what the losses were after the Treasury sold its stake in GM/Chrysler. The subsidies Tesla received through the DOE loan, which they paid back in full, are a drop in the bucket.

>>57293980
>owned by other car manufacturers like Mercedes.
Oh never mind, you're an actual retard. Mercedes sold its 4% stake in Tesla.
>>
>>57291215
SOLAR FREAKING ROOFTOPS
>>
>>57300470
>climates where it doesn't freeze
I've seen some here in Belgium. They're only really useful in the summer, but they're cheap so that isn't really much of a problem.
>>
>>57300100
>Roof warms enough to get the snow to slide off
Yeah he keeps repeating this bullshit, but we have literally centuries of evidence that things don't work out that neatly in real life.
>>
Even if it is only 1% as efficient as normal solar panels it is still 100% more efficient for generating solar power than normal tiles.
>>
File: asd.jpg (24KB, 336x214px) Image search: [Google]
asd.jpg
24KB, 336x214px
How often would these need to be cleaned? Thats one thing thats going to be harder then larger solid solar panels.
How much do these cost compared to traditional roof tiles?
How do these connect together? Is it going to be simple enough for a roofer? Or will it require other specialists?
>>
File: Big Black Car.png (1MB, 1279x613px) Image search: [Google]
Big Black Car.png
1MB, 1279x613px
The black car is giant. I can't be the only one seeing this.
>>
>random neighborhood
>fatboy elon
>erect nipples
>>
>>57291278
>Normies can afford it because it eliminates electricity costs and worth the initial investment

People can't afford to buy their phones outright, what makes you think they can afford solar roofs ?
Or have the foresight to think about the long term.
>>
>>57300819
That is only a valid argument if we can 'will' tiles into existence at no cost financially, or harm to the environment.
>>
>>57300880
> back to /pol/
There is a red car the same size, the colour of your dick after you have been wacking off.
>>
>>57300865
The largest cost for roofing is labor,
Go to home depot and for a few hundred bucks you can get enough shingles for your roof no problem.

I imagine it has to be installed by some qualified professional otherwise there might be a warranty issue.
Also the power has to be stored somewhere, so there's more cost to that as well.

This is going to be a huge investment with with a ROI being in the decades..
>>
>>57300963
$5500 for a 14kWh battery with inverter, the Powerwall 2. That's generally enough to run your house off the solar you get from your roof. For 'little to no electricity bills', it's probably worth the delta in cost.
>>
>people can't afford this
This is aimed at people who can afford this.
And trust me, there are a lot of people who can.
>>
>>57301151
I can't see the wall and the roof costing less than $10,000 all in.

If you spend $2500 a year in elec costs it would pay for itself in 4, not bad if you plan on living there for 5+ years. A few issues though.

1) Batteries degrade over time, a sad inevitability, what's the price of getting them replaced?
2)7 kWh is pushing it for house and water heating in colder climates, you'd want at least 2 walls if you're planning on heating and powering your home at the same time.
3)What happens when you buy an electric car? 14 kWh will get sucked up by the 90 kWh model S in a matter of minutes, you'd need many more walls if you planned on living Elon's electric dream.
>>
>>57291215
he's been losing 6 billions last year and expect to lose 2.5 billions (most likely it will be more) this year.
He should aim at keeping his company alive rather than aiming for random projects.
>>
>>57291840
if its so easy why didnt you do it, retard?
>>
>>57301478
There's nothing random about what he's been doing with Tesla. The goal is to become a one stop shop for everything energy and to drive down costs with scale at levels the solar and battery industries have never seen (see NY and Nevada gigafactories). This is the first piece of the puzzle for doing solar at massive scales: make a product that's appealing to a broader base of people, and in this case, housing development companies.

It's a huge gamble and there's a very real possibility it won't work, but if it does he's going to be in a very unique and valuable position. It's the kind of setup that creates monstrously huge corporations under the right circumstances.
>>
>>57301478
Expansion isn't really a loss. All he has to do to not lose 2.5 billion is not expand as rapidly, at which point he'd be turning a profit. But that's not his plan, and he's banking on recouping all the costs.
>>
>>57296410
>1m^3 of snow is 160kg
depends on how compressed the snow is, jesus christ, where are you even getting these numbers?. stopped reading right there
>>
>>57300880
The black car isn't giant, the white car is small. It's probably just a decoration.
>>
>>57293850
tesla's plan from the beginning was to sell expensive cars first and use the money to build bigger and more efficient factories. the following cars are cheaper. i think the model 3 is about 30k.
>>
>>57301819
And they aren't just aiming at matching GM, Chrysler, etc in efficiency but far exceeding them. The plants are becoming more and more automated all the time and they have teams working on designing factories as a singlular megamachines rather than loose collections of small, disparate machines.

As long as they can keep the boat floating another 5 or so years they're going to be doing some seriously crazy shit.
>>
>>57301794
that was the joke, big boy
>>
>>57291215
I bet the energy used to make that roof far exceeds the energy it will out put in its lifetime, the only reason Elon Musk is making this shit is to wow people and trick investors slowly growing his scam. He has already scammed the government for free gov bucks and is using it to make impossibly profitable shit like this. It IS already well known how gimmicky and shit solar panels are and how fucking inefficient they are to make vs power they produce.

This is just another example of politically correct bureaucracy affecting technology and business negatively with unsustainable bloat. Essentially corrupt government creating dead weight to support their agendas.
>>
>>57291215
T H I C K
H
I
C
K
>>
>>57302054
As long as the manufacturing processes are sustainable, this isn't a problem, and considering how Elon estimates the lifetime of these roofs as "lasting longer than the house", I'd bet that your bet is wrong, especially in sunnier areas.

You also can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. If we wait for a 100% perfect fix for the current energy situation, it'll won't come because the market sees that there's no profit in trying to improve anything. Serious attempts to improve the situation should be supported to create economic incentive for companies to shift.
>>
>>57291618
Metal is the best roof
>>
>>57299649
>nuclear is an expensive dead end
Why don't more people understand this? I've never been able to comprhend why nuclear power has such a persistently deluded internet fanbase
>>
>>57302374
Because the technology is actually good. The reason we don't have it is because retarded anti-nuclear people keep creating more red tape to drive up the cost. So instead we're burning fucking coal.
>>
File: cara-3483.jpg (254KB, 756x1134px) Image search: [Google]
cara-3483.jpg
254KB, 756x1134px
>>57297845
Also no metal roof, which is becoming more popular in Florida for durability reasons.

But, hey, great to see people trying new things. I just can't imagine trying to get this thing fixed after a hurricane. Can barely get someone to fix a regular roof in Florida without fucking it up.
>>
>>57301644
Because Im not an autist that fell for the solar energy meme.
Also solar cells on the roof are literally decades old at this point.
>>
>>57297502
but the weight clearly broke the tile

I also like that they didn't show standard shingles made of gravel and tar, which would have clearly won this test since they are flexible
>>
>>57302239
Enjoy your meteorites.
>>
File: rude.gif (496KB, 304x253px) Image search: [Google]
rude.gif
496KB, 304x253px
>>57304515
Enjoy paying $14,000 every six years to replace your shingles.
>>
Man, in a lot of places in the uk the government and councils started pushing out solar panels to council homes just shoved on top. It's ugly as shit and all over.

It does cut your bill a bit though.
>>
>>57294954
>reinventing the wheel for double the cost and even less efficiency

welcome to elon musk.
>>
File: file.png (134KB, 664x527px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
134KB, 664x527px
>elon musk thread

you have to go back.
>>
>>57299795
>guy on roof trying to fix shit
>slips because the glass roof is slippery
>ded
>sue tesla for 6 trillion
>get rich
>>
>>57304622
I think I've seen your post before, anon.

>>57304630
Anon, I think we both have to go back.
>>
>>57300470
>solar
why not just make a curve mirror and point it to the tank?
>>
Will Germans save us with their memellerator?
>>
>>57303466
well obviously the thing designed to be a roof, and only a roof is tougher than the thing that's designed to be a roof and a solar panel.
>>
>>57304540
>ugly
who cares?
>>
>>57305166
at least the solar panels is not on fucking roads.
>>
>>57301364
Richfags can buy them outright
Middle class can get loans and pay interest and still probably come out ahead.
Poorfags are fucked.
>>
If that shit gets dirty the efficiency decreases so you have to clean that shit all the time.
>>
File: Canadian Mountie Feel.jpg (51KB, 572x626px) Image search: [Google]
Canadian Mountie Feel.jpg
51KB, 572x626px
>>57296026
>>
>>57300880
Are you retarded? the white one is a model car
>>
>>57295021
Because brain doesn't work too fast for one's mouth in general??
>>
File: 1451305098109.jpg (32KB, 400x567px) Image search: [Google]
1451305098109.jpg
32KB, 400x567px
>save us elon
>>
Almost every person there is bald.
>>
So he is a rich guy good feels merchant.
>>
>>57298136
With interest levels as low as they are this can be a pretty good investment for many. It depends on taxation in your country but around here it is now quite competitive.
>>
>>57300470
In Greece you see these everywhere.

Germany tends to go for solar electric.

>>57304655
Added complexity costs more and yields only a little more.
>>
File: cucks.jpg (681KB, 991x957px) Image search: [Google]
cucks.jpg
681KB, 991x957px
reminder that he's a cunt
>>
>>57293730
HAHA
>>
>>57292032
Around here the electricity companies pay massive bonuses. Effectively these are monopolies and trusts and have no problems generating "success".

With this tech we can finally put the squeeze on these companies and make them look at becoming more efficient, an entirely new concept for them. They are far too used to corporate welfare. Enron lives on in these clowns.
>>
>>57307459
>software has zero value and doesn't cost anything to create
Yeah nah fuck off with that entitled consumer mentality
>>
>>57292329
>contrary to popular belief, R&D doesn't just scale with the amount of money you throw at it
We are NOWHERE near that saturation level. You could easily use truck loads of money to upgrade equipment from the museum grade stuff we use. Or you could easily use more money to actually retain researchers.

I left R and D simply because salaries were too low to handle my student loans, as did most of my colleagues.

Multiply RnD budgets by a factor of 1000 and we might discuss this again.

t.FormerResearcher.
>>
>>57307459
I imagine the kind of software that goes into commercial vehicles requires an extraordinary amount of engineering. I have no idea the exact economics of automobile manufacturing, but 9000$ for software may or may not actually be unreasonable. Either way I think it's naive to expect all software to be free as in beer.
>>
>>57302239
that's if you wanna die of heat during summer
>>
>>57298268
This. It's easier to relate to a person like him than to a "robot" who's got everything down
>>
>>57294926
The same engineers that can't make a car that doesn't leak?
>>
>>57296636
Because he's not nearly as smart as he likes to pretend to be, and people worship him. Because of this, he spouts retarded ideas and everybody who only reads buzzfeed and popular mechanics thinks that he's some sort of genius who's going to revolutionize whatever he sperged out about this week, and bring their retardation into those fields.
>>
>>57299649
>Nuclear is a dead end
o fug better tell the US Navy, china, the US power industry, russia, and a bunch of other groups that.
>>
>>57307532
Read what he posted.
You have to pay 9000 dollars to access a battery bank that's ALREADY INSTALLED.
>>
>>57308469
Tesla is not supposed to be affordable.

all the money you pay goes towards R&D to progress the tech so that eventually it becomes mainstream and affordable.
>>
>>57308526
So it's okay for Tesla to screw people out of 9000 dollars to use batteries they already bought because they're going to use the money for research?
Tesla isn't the only company doing electric car research.
>>
>>57308584
>people
you think the average joe is ever buying anything from tesla? fuck off mate. buying Tesla is the same as a kickstarter program.
>get x product to finance x development
>>
>>57308647
>It's okay when Musk does it
>People should have to pay nearly ten grand to use batteries they already bought
>>
Software unlocks are pretty common on the electronics test equipment industry and most people don't give a damn as it's a way of subsidizing the entry models as well as a way of upgrading the capabilities of the equipment without having to buy a whole new thing.

Also there's the added benefit of said upgrades being potentially hackable and most often, after a period of time, someone ends up finding a loop around the software and unlocks the added capabilities.
>>
>>57308676
The thing is you haven't "bought" the batteries. Tesla is hoping that the limited usage of the 60 will mean that less people with S60's will have a battery pack replacement (since wear is leveled over more cells + not charging the battery fully, which is much more stressful on lithium ion) before the 8-year battery warranty runs out, which is way more expensive for them. Probably also means they can salvage more cells with less wear if you give your pack in, saving them money too.

You're essentially paying Tesla for a warranty upgrade.
>>
>>57297989
>what's to stop people from stealing them
Normally you use screws to pin a ratio of them down. The tiles overlap, so it takes a lot of time to remove them.
Doing it in the dark can be very dangerous and noisy, so neighbors will notice, regardless of the time of day.
When people steal construction materials, they steal the pallets of unused materials, something you can quickly load into a van and sell as though it is new.
The only exception to this is when people steal windows, as they are often put in place and is as easy to remove as they are putting in before the framing is done.
I have put on a roof several times and it takes a long time, like 2 days to 2 weeks, depending on how many people and the size of the roof.
People who steal doesn't want that kind of exposure.

As for storms, small tiles are usually more resilient, so unless he was retarded enough to "revolutionize" the way you lay the roof, it should be the same.
The only "different" thing with these are that they are made of glass instead of clay or essonite or whatever.
>>
File: 1405865353819.gif (442KB, 420x594px) Image search: [Google]
1405865353819.gif
442KB, 420x594px
I don't give a shit about all your whinging on Elon Musk.

He's pushing electrical cars and solarpowered energy to the forefront which needs to fucking happen.

He also wants to put us on Mars which tickles my sci-fi dreams of the future.
>>
>>57309059
>He also wants to put us on Mars
What's so great about Mars anyway ? The experience of going there would be cool as fuck, but I don't see why you'd want to actually spend time there, there's nothing to do really, unless you want to admire red rocks all day.
>>
>>57309059
There are several people I want to go to mars as well.
If it will lead to scientific improvements, great.
I think the idea of a new Australia is great.
Lets send all the criminals and people who is bad at driving somewhere where it is unlikely they will ever return with the current technology.
Either they rot, or we make the world a better place. It is a win win.
>>
>>57309086
backup the human race in case of The Happening on Earth.
>>
>>57309086
>what's so cool about becoming a multiplanetary species

It sounds cool as fuck to me, but I guess not everyone thinks that way.

We'd have to do it eventualy anyway, and since the technological spinoffs from projects such as this are always huge (GPS, Nanotransistors, Internet just to name a few) it's worth it regardless wether you like spacetravel or not.
>>
Has anyone calculated how much energy is lost in the transmission from the power plant to the end users home? Does anyone know what the number is?

If every home can generate it's own power, it should reduce that to zero. We need to calculate this factor in whenever someone says "nuclear, wind, coal, or hydro does less damage and costs less than it costs to manufacture solar cells"
>>
File: image.png (466KB, 501x743px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
466KB, 501x743px
>>57291215
I don't know about other countries but this won't work in the majority of the US (except the southwest). Electricity prices here are so low, I pay $50-80 on a 2000sq ft house for example. And with this system you would be investing tens of thousands of dollars attempting to eliminate an already tiny cost. He's reinventing the wheel when it's totally unecessary. We could invest more money in nuclear power and get better returns.
>>
>>57309347
>all that matters is muh money, fuck the world
Typical American swine response
>>
>>57309267
NVM I found it. Some places the loss is greater than 50%!!!! For the US it's averaging 6%

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EG.ELC.LOSS.ZS
>>
>>57309347
A combination of both nuclear and solar is the ideal. The former is better, of course, but the latter has the added bonus of letting homes get off the main grid, even if it's not all of the time.
>>
>>57309347
With pure nuclear energy you run into massive distribution issues and energy loss in transmission. Solar is the best way to offset increasing demand on the grid, while using nuclear for peak consumption.
>>
File: 1471035175943.png (325KB, 650x452px) Image search: [Google]
1471035175943.png
325KB, 650x452px
>>57291215
>Solar panels... on a roof!
>Fucking genius.
>Who'd have thought...
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.