[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the actual difference between gentoo and archlinux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: octopus typing.gif (254KB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
octopus typing.gif
254KB, 350x197px
And which one is better? I want to look smart and be part of the sekkrit club.... I heard its hard to setup or something anyone post tutorial? :(
>>
if you can't find the difference on your own, and need to ask for tutorials when gentoo and arch have some of the best documentation available...then you should stick to Ubuntu
>>
>>57277965
>ubuntu
Wtf no, everyone has to learn starting somewhere, let it be here :)
>>
>>57278086
read the documentation
>>
>>57277951
Check out the official wiki's. Arch is probably a lot easier to use and set up. The main difference is probably the package managers. Arch used Pacman, and I forget the name of Gentoo's package manager but it is a bit more complicated than Pacman and compiles everything from source which takes hours.
>>
Anyone know what the actual benefits of gentoo/archlinux are? Is it just faster cpu speeds because you disable most bullshit that isnt even needed running on the kernel?
>>
Tutorial : just look at official the install guide for each distro.

>Arch
Binary based
Uses systemd
Pacman is great
Great wiki, lot of doc, tuto and guides

>gentoo
Source based
No systemd. Glorious openRC
Emerge is good (I like pacman better tho)
Good wiki. Less "cool kidz" oriented than arch. But less tutos and guides.
Still the best documented source based distro.

The memes are wrong
>arch is not minimalist
>Gentoo is not harder to install per se
>Gentoo doesn't take days to install (one afternoon on my first gen core i5)
>>
>>57278747
It isn't so bad to make Arch run openRC instead of systemd though, is it? I want to give Arch a real try but fuck systemd.

Yes I do have plenty of downtime.
>>
Any distro can look similar to another. Just get the wm de configs you like. Same kernel versions etc. Real difference is in the package manager. Portage is amazing. Great multilib support. Individual flags for package management. It makes me hard thinking about how fucking robust this package manager is. Nice to install only packages you need.

I use gentoo with systemd and proprietary software. It just werks.
>>
File: 0334 - 1fnolXU.png (21KB, 200x194px) Image search: [Google]
0334 - 1fnolXU.png
21KB, 200x194px
only hardened gentoo seems interesting
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.