[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer Science (Post Grad)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Hackers-1995.jpg (148KB, 650x488px) Image search: [Google]
Hackers-1995.jpg
148KB, 650x488px
/g/entoomen,

I need some advice. I didn't major in computer science in college, but I am thinking of a career switch because I hate my job and coding as always interested me. I have a BA in economics from a decent school (UC Santa Barbara) and a few years work experience in finance/accounting related industry.

What is my best route to become employable? Another bachelors degree? Masters program? Some sort of credential I can earn online? Teach myself? Some ideal combination of the above?

I know some Python (college course) and C (self taught) but I'm very rusty so I'd basically be starting fresh. Any help/harsh truths/shitposting is appreciated!
>>
You can learn yourself and go to some code camps then start a few projects to use as a portfolio, host them on your own web server or on a git and use those as a way into a junior position
>>
>>57274790
Why do you hate your job

Grass is always greener you millenial fuck
>>
File: 12.jpg (138KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
138KB, 640x427px
>>57274819
I do retirement plan admin (literally the most boring, nitpicky, mind-numbing job you could imagine), I work out of my boss's house, & I (ironically) don't have any benefits. I turn 26 soon, so I need to get a big boy job with healthcare. Also any sort of finance or accounting related job is filled with assertive republicans who only talk about football and golf and big titties. I don't fit in at all and it would hold me back big time in my career because I absolutely loathe that culture.

My job does not require any critical thought and is all about digging through yuge books like pic related researching the most obnoxiously arcane tax issues to help small business owners swindle their already underpaid employees out of a few bucks. It's honestly fucking depressing.

Coding seems all about problem solving and critical thinking which sounds way more engaging and fun. (Also I have dabbled and I like it.)

>>57274803
This confirms what I've read elsewhere. How common is it to get a position without any sort of academic certificate? Will the fact that I don't have a degree automatically close a lot of doors? I can afford to go back to school.

>code camps
There are a lot of these. Which ones are /g/ approved?
>>
>>57274978
>There are a lot of these. Which ones are /g/ approved?

None. Also none are employer approved. You'll be looked down on, honestly.

If you know C and Python like you said, you should have a strong portfolio, right? You didn't just read through some syntax guides, right?
>>
>>57274790
>>57274978

You sound like a colossal faggot
>>
>>57275007
Like I said in my OP I'd basically be starting fresh. I don't remember anything. Anyway I was just writing & compiling very basic programs for fun. The only reason I even mentioned this was so that people didn't try to talk me out of it on the basis of assuming that I'm completely tech illiterate & I could get real advice.

>None. Also none are employer approved. You'll be looked down on, honestly.
I appreciate your honesty, thanks.

>>57275062
Thanks.
>>
>>57274978
Go back to school and get a masters in CS.

Certs won't do shit unless you want to be an IT peon. Despite what unemployed autists on g tell you, it doesn't matter that you "know" a couple programming languages. Software engineering is much more than just knowing how to write a few lines of code.
>>
>>57275117
Do you have a graduate CS degree? I have heard that it's possible to do a CS masters without a bachelors but I have also heard otherwise. Should I start taking math classes at a community college or something? I only had to do basic calculus & some statistics for economics since it's a BA. I know computer science requires a fuck ton of math, because I considered majoring in it back when I was in school.
>>
>>57274978
>>57274790

Have you considered suicide?

You won't be missed.
>>
>>57275150
Yes I have a masters. My undergrade was in English and I did have to take some undergrad level math. Calculous is more than enough. Just find a smaller public uni that has a masters program. The hardest shit is just analysis of algorithms, proofs and shit.

No company will even consider you without a degree though, and it would be pointless for you to get another BS when you could get an MS in the same time.
>>
Not OP but I've got a post grad question, looking for at least a MS, maybe PhD if that goes well.

I'm about to have a bachelor's in CS from a no name state uni. I've got a 3.8 gpa, but no industry experience, and no relevant extra curriculars. What kind of schools should I be applying to? Any that will take me? Or will my gpa alone afford me some pickyness?
>>
>>57275150
Most schools will charge you a lot for going back to get a second bachelors after graduating. You also are the bottom of the totem pole for getting into classes.
Just register for a Master's program and take what you need. I got my bachelors also in Economics and ended up working as a quality engineer in aerospace and got my masters in material sciences focusing on stress mechanics.
>>
>>57275258
Do you have any work experience? As a technical interviewer, I always wonder how that happens. Honestly, get a real job. You still have time. Learn 2-3 months worth of tech prep and you can get a job. I'm trying to help.
>>
i studied a social sciences program and got into a phd program in CS at one of the top 5 programs in the world. my advice is to spend some time proving that you can cut it doing some programming stuff, then articulate an interesting research agenda that only someone coming from an econ background could do, and only if advised by a CS mentor. something like studying some online marketplace like AlphaBay or something, idk.

get into the PhD program and then master out. you should be able to secure funding for a PhD trivially, so if you want to quit after you get your MS, that's fine. you won't have ended up in debt or spent a bunch of time stupidly TA'ing classes and shit.
>>
>>57275215
>I did have to take some undergrad level math.
Not surprised. Did you do this through some sort of immersion program for your masters or on your own prior to applying?

>Just find a smaller public uni that has a masters program.
Thanks, I'll start looking into this route. How crucial is the 'prestige' of a school's program for the job application process?

>The hardest shit is just analysis of algorithms, proofs and shit.
Hmm, maybe this won't be the worst thing in the world for me. I didn't mention in my OP that I double majored in philosophy as well, so I have exposure to proofs via formal logic.

>My undergrade was in English
a-are you from /lit/?

Thanks for the advice, by the way. It's very encouraging to hear all this from someone who got a humanities degree for undergrad.
>>
>>57275318
>How crucial is the 'prestige' of a school's program for the job application process?
Very if your goal is to be a professor. Otherwise, no one really cares.
>>
>>57275297
Nothing cs related. Is it really better to get a job for a while and get a masters later?
>>
>>57274978
>I don't fit in at all and it would hold me back big time in my career because I absolutely loathe that culture.
So you want to enter a field filled with sjws, and outsourced pajeets stealing American jobs?

Honestly, go back and do EE or another kind of engineering. You make bank compared to CS, and companies won't outsource you.

If you're really gun-ho about doing a CS related job, or if its not in the budget to do another degree, you're going to want to make a portfolio, and work on some projects in your spare time. Having a portfolio is crucial, and you'll want to choose carefully when you get started because otherwise you'll waste time on skills you don't need.

Take a look at the kind of job you want, and see what skills and experience you need. Work on building a portfolio that matches this criteria, and host it online somewhere. Github works perfectly here, because it has a lot more active community, and you can also contribute to other projects as you see fit. Slap this on your resume and make it one of the first things an employer will see, so they don't immediately trash it.

Best of luck.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.