[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

VN Engines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: juniper's knot.png (939KB, 1019x573px) Image search: [Google]
juniper's knot.png
939KB, 1019x573px
What's /g/ thoughts on VN engines?
A good way to enter programing?
>>
Not really. They are a good way to make VNs.

Programming is a good way to enter programming.
>>
>>57259053
Renpy is decent if you want to get into python I suppose. You could always make your own shitty engine in whatever language you want to git gud at.
>>
Most VN engines, and by extension, most video game engines are self-contained development ecosystems where all the programming is done in a domain-specific interpreted language such as C# or Python with tons of library hooks for the engine.
>>
>>57259053
It's not a bad way. Basic Ren'Py wouldn't be anymore complicated than writing a long script in a certain format. If you decide you need branching, you just look that up.
>>
If you don't write it in Japanese it will be shit no matter what engine you use.
>>
File: Renpy-Tutorial.jpg?32bb66.jpg (69KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Renpy-Tutorial.jpg?32bb66.jpg
69KB, 640x480px
Renpy seems to be highly praised.
Isn't python a slow language?
>>
>>57259455
Yes, but what needs to be fast in a VN engine? The graphics are all drawn in OpenGL.

I think Renpy is one of the better performing VN engines out there, actually.
>>
If you want an actually good VN engine, use KiriKiri. It's what the jap companies use. But the documentation is in Japanese (obviously), not sure if anyone has translated it.

That said, you won't learn programming with them. They have their own scripting languages that look nothing like actual programming.
>>
>>57259676
>KiriKiri
>2016
Why people still recommend this?
It's vapeware by now, poor documentation even in japanese, and no linux support or other platform.
>>
How complicated can it actually be though? Isn't it just basically a bunch of presentations with different routes or am I missing something else?
>>
>>57259709
Because even though the development has stopped, it's still better than Ren'py.

By the way there's a fork that's under active development.
https://krkrz.github.io/
>>
>>57259724
>How complicated can it actually be though? Isn't it just basically a bunch of presentations with different routes or am I missing something else?
Depends, really you can use power point/ libre impress to create a VN if you want.
But a VN engine can give you much more than simple choices.
>>57259761
Interested in this.
How is it better than ren'py?
A few years a go I've read that someone managed to make ren'py engine run on a PSP.
Is kirikiri provide better scripting? developer tools?
>>
>>57259053
>>>/v/
>>
>>57260423
Trying to fit way to hard senpai.
>>
Aww I liked that vn, it sucks the studio closed, just like all oelvn teams do :(
>>
>>57259455
I second Renpy. I used to teach programing to kids and teen in the local community youth group and they did enjoy it quite a lot. It would not make you a good programmer but , its a pleasant way to get some basics. Wasn't Katawa Shoujo made in modified renpy ?
>>
>>57260669
Not that I know of.
What was modified?
>>
>>57260719
I double checked it , and it was made in renpy. It was mainly the GUI that was much different than vanilla renpy. you can find a bunch of visual novels on android that have the same gui look with certain transparent button on the bottom of the screen like quick save , quick load and skip. KS just did it in a much more professional looking way so it took me some time to realize that it was renpy. I guess if you compare it with half of the really shitty VN that the community shits out every week
>>
>>57260780
Ren'py is very versatile VN engine.
If you really want you can even make a FPS with it.
Look at AKABUR's games.
>>
>>57260804
I never said its not. I had done view demo point and click games with it, however I cannot say i know of any successful FPS on it
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.