[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I installed gentoo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

File: gentoo.png (24KB, 146x149px) Image search: [Google]
gentoo.png
24KB, 146x149px
I installed gentoo
>>
>>57256948
install gentoo
>>
>>57256948

I installed Funtoo
>>
>>57256948
pics or didnt happen
>>
>>57256960
ok, no
>>
>>57256948
Prove it
>>
File: d.jpg (164KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
d.jpg
164KB, 1600x1200px
>>57256975
>>57256986
>>
>>57257039
Is that a calculator?
>>
>>57257050
gentoo
>>
>>57257039
smart enough to install gentoo not smart enough to take a fucking screen shot
>>
>>57257064
???
i just did mongoloid
>>
man gentoo looks alot like windows 3.1 with all the patches and a win95 skin with a fucking command prompt

Lmao fucking freetards trying to keep the DOS era alive
let it die bro test based commands are dead , go GUI or go home.
>>
>>57257148
enjoy the bloat and botnet , u nasty manchildren
>>
uninstall gentoo
>>
>>57256948

> falling for the gentoo meme
> current year of our lord
>>
>>57257195
>meme
lol?
>>
>>57257216

> thinking "install gentoo" isn't a meme

you poor bastard
>>
>>57257058
Well congrats then OP
>>
>>57257238
gentoo isn't a meme, retard
>>
>>57257275

denial, anger

all the symptoms of bitter regret
>>
why xfce
>>
>>57256948
install source mage and let the magic happen
>>
>>57257148
I know this is bait, but in case someone doesn't understand, you can configure xfce to look however you want
>>
>there are people on /g/ who think gentoo is a meme

Haha enjoy your life of darkness without portage, faggots.
>>
>>57257039
tesla as a tesla model s ??????
>>
File: 1441657070905.gif (82KB, 794x512px) Image search: [Google]
1441657070905.gif
82KB, 794x512px
>>57257407
its not a meme like Arch is but I prefer other source based distros.
I tried Source Mage and never touched Gentoo again.
plus it tickles my autism in just the right way
>>
>>57256948
there is literally nothing wrong with Mac OS
>>
if gentoo used systemd I might consider it
>>
>>57257440
>Source Mage
stop shilling this garbage
this is not even close to gentoo
>>
>>57256948
make.conf or gtfo :-)

#include <iostream>
#include <vector>
#include "vector.h"
using namespace std;

int main(){

vector<int> fireStorm(5);

for (auto& name : fireStorm){
cout << value << endl;
cin >> name;
}

for (auto name : fireStorm){
cout << integer << name << "." << endl;
}
return 0;
}
>>
>>57257473
>http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/autobuilds/current-stage3-amd64-systemd/
what are you waiting for?
>>
>>57257039

how does one install gentoo?
>>
>>57257473
It was one of the first distros to support using systemd.

It always has remained your choice though. Pick openrc / systemd or even whatever the fuck else you want.
>>
>>57257488
why do you both need to compile from source Everytime?
I just don't get it. waste of time
>>
File: 1477536475805.jpg (20KB, 231x183px) Image search: [Google]
1477536475805.jpg
20KB, 231x183px
>>57257039
did you install it in your fucking car???
>>
>>57257488
its better than Gentoo
you get up to date packages for the provider directly rather than though Gentoo's site, with no downstream meddling.

also Gentoo emphasises more "universal" settings and packages while Source Mage allows you to tweak and change individual parts more easily, like changing parts of a car bit by bit to fit your need.

its also faster than Gentoo

the ONLY downside I can think of is that Gentoo is more transparent and "professional"
>>
>>57257940
>Source Mage allows you to tweak and change individual parts more easily
no it doesn't. on gentoo you edit package.use and on source mage you answer yes/no questions at install time. Both require the same amount of effort.
>>
>>57257940
>its also faster than Gentoo
Gentoo being faster was a meme.
>>
>>57257973
no its far easier to modify packages to your whim and teak them how you like, the local focus makes for far easier small scale customization.

its also easier to uninstal/remove things without worrying about your computer breaking down like with Gentoo.

beyond that it compiles FAR faster and you can tweak it to get the very best out of your machine, far beyond Gentoo where you're losing big chunks of time to compile which is inexcusable.

Gentoo's advantages are its binary package support, greater number of packages/supported architecture, and docs. Nothing however being tempting enough for Gentoo to win out for me.
>>
>>57257940
>you get up to date packages for the provider directly rather than though Gentoo's site
You get them from a possibly far more local Gentoo mirror.

Which means unlike source mage's packages, they are actually reachable when the package manager thinks they should be, and bandwidth availability for a quick download can be assured.

> with no downstream meddling.
What downstream meddling?

> also Gentoo emphasises more "universal" settings and packages
No. It emphasizes individual per-package settings. Shit, you can make a profile for alternative compile environments per-package, so you can have one package compiled with clang and gold LTO and a third party linker without sandboxing it, and the other package with the standard fare gcc / gnu ld / sandbox.

> its also faster than Gentoo
No. And Gentoo isn't really "faster" either, unless you tweak everything, which most people don't do. It's just very easy to maintain and customize in fairly complex ways.

You can tell the package manager to pull one package straight from github and then compile a dependent package in an offiical release tar.gz against it, with full dependency resolution and everything.
>>
>>57257039
You are the chosen one, anon.
>>
>>57258022
>local focus
the fuck are you talking about. thats what package.use is for. example:
www-client/firefox gtk2

>it compiles FAR faster
ya no. Set your compiler flags the same and it will be the same.
>computer breaks down when removing packages
maybe you should try searching for dependencies like the output from "emerge --unmerge" tells you to when you try to remove something.

Are you sure you even used gentoo.
>>
File: 1468088726421.jpg (10KB, 353x239px) Image search: [Google]
1468088726421.jpg
10KB, 353x239px
>>57257039
>Tesla
>>
well at least they aren't arguing about arch anymore
>>
>>57258022
>no its far easier to modify packages to your whim and teak them how you like, the local focus makes for far easier small scale customization.
Nope. Gentoo allows doing everything on a per-package base easily and fully.

> its also easier to uninstal/remove things without worrying about your computer breaking down like with Gentoo.
Absolutely not. Gentoo helps you *way* more to keep dependencies and linkage intact.

> beyond that it compiles FAR faster
Having "mage" in the distro's name probably makes gcc, llvm, javac, ghc and so on go faster, eh?

Look, we can do clang with ThinLTO too on Gentoo, and so could binary distros if they cared to (even setting that as default compiler / linker). But it's not special as such because the distro is called Gentoo, either.

Having profiles assignable to packages and letting the package manager do stuff for you, that's nice however.
>>
>>57256965
I used gentoo for the longest time.
Tried funtoo recently. Regardless of what funtoofags say, it's really just a buggier gentoo. I had to twiddle with shit a LOT to get fonts that didn't look like cancer and shit's still not completely up to par with my default gentoo install.
Having precompiled kernels is nice but they don't support the grsec devices even if you install funtoo from the hardened image, which is very homosexual.
The extra profiles (/mixins) aren't that useful, they typically represent 1-2 entries changed in your make.conf, and you're still going to fiddle with that so it's not actually winning you anything.
>>
>>57257238
install gentoo is a meme.
Gentoo, though, isn't a meme; it's the one and only good GNU distro.
>>
>>57258189
>Gentoo
>GNU
pick one
>>
Gentoo GNU/Linux
>>
>>57258358
Hah - I actually am using a lot of not GNU in my Gentoo.
>>
OP passed initiation, somebody send him a Windows 7 key so he can join the master race
>>
>>57261132
>>>/reddit/
>>
> tfw I tried to install gentoo and failed
> tfw I installed arch instead and it was a breeze
>>
Why don't you fags go back to /v/ and leave us enjoy our fucking board?

t. gentoo user
>>
>>57258102
>Breaking News: Autist dead in Tesla car accident. Gentoo didn't compile self-drive fast enough.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.