/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /g/ hate prebuilt PCs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

Why does /g/ hate prebuilt PCs?
>>
>>57255564
They used to be over priced trashed and it became a meme to hate them ever since. You can get some pretty good prebuilts now though if you know what you're looking for.
>>
>>57255564
Generally slightly more expensive than building it yourself.

They also cut corners by using cheaper components.

Not fully customizable.

Business PCs have TPM botnet.
>>
>>57255586
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clrj_lSDvzQ
>>
>>57255597
>gaming
>>
>>57255564
Mostly because the retail price for the parts is cheaper than the oem pc on its own, even though oems get their parts wholesale. So your paying more for something that cost less for them, a complete swindle. Though, for a PC over $1500 it's suggested to go with an OEM because they provide warranty. That being said, the only acceptable OEMs are the ones that charge retail price for the parts with minimal "cost to build."
>>
>>57255597
Gaymen hardware is a different beast altogether from general use PCs.
>>
>>57255614
Really depends what you plan to do with it. An general PC that you're not going to be running heavy tasks on would probably still be cheaper pre built. There are some niche things you may still want to build a PC for though.
>>
It's less work to get tax deductions for a pre-built than for individual components, at least in my country, if you use it for work that is.
>>
>>57255564
/g/ doesn't hate prebuilt PC's. These days it's cheaper to buy a used prebuilt than it is to build one yourself, and the components will still be higher quality.
>>
>>57255680
They get mocked constantly in /bst/
>>
File: msi_thermal_paste.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
msi_thermal_paste.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>
>>57255725
DELETE THIS NOW
>>
>>57255564

We use those PCs at my desktop support Dept, do the job.
>>
>>57255719

Who is bst?
>>
>>57255564
Why do any enthusiasts hate the mainstream option?

Prebuilt PCs are easy, that's not a feature, it's why /g/ hates them. Anyone who groks hardware will want to use that knowledge and customise shit to their own tastes. The fact that you can save money doing it is a bonus.

The time wasted fixing up the mistakes you made is inconsequential to /g/ because time spent on activities that you enjoy isn't really wasted.
>>
>"Why does /g/ hate"
>implying all of /g/ has the same opinion
prebuilts are fine if you're not really tight on cash but its just funner to build one yourself. if you're not interested in it or don't have the time then it's fine to buy a prebuilt
>>
>>57255857
>mistakes you made

Tools like PC Parts Picker make mistakes a rare occurrence these days.
>>
>>57255564
because youre paying for tech support that you don't need or wouldn't help you anyway
>>
>>57255585

This. I was looking to buy a desktop around july but had been shopping around for parts since mayish, eventually with no significant sales in sight I decided to compromise on a prebuilt with slightly worse specs than what I wanted but got me a computer in august when I needed it rather than potentially mid november
>>
>>57255725
What kind of a pussy wears gloves to assemble a pc?
>>
>>57255564
the /g/ collective thinks every prebuilt is their mom's $300 walmart shitbox with an 80 watt power supply that aggravated them into building in the first place
>>
>>57258186
more like 430 watt foxconn PSU with spaghetti cables floating everywhere
>>
Really the only reason prebuilts suck is that when it comes time to replace the PSU you find that all the connectors are some proprietary bullshit or that the MOBO will refuse to turn the PC on with a different brand PSU installed when you press the power button (though shorting the pins for the PSU board itself will turn it on just fine)

Also their fans tend to be loud too
>>
>>57255585
This

I think its impossiable to hate prebuilds now in 2016 some are great IMO.
>>
>>57258520
the mobo is usually some 50$ chink shit and only thing you can change from the BIOS is time
>>
>>57255586
>TPM botnet
My sides in orbit.
i'll never forgive those who enable this "feature"
>inb4 "muh BitLocker"
>>
>>57255586
>Business PCs have TPM botnet.

>not installing a fresh OS instead of using what's preinstalled

What the fuck is wrong with you??
>>
>>57255719
who cares get thicker skinned.
Gamer retards don't understand the real world IMO

>>57258574
all motherboards are chinese but far from shit its all automated now at any rate.

you can change the time with bios hack , I've done it with 2 dells and 2 lenovo's
HPs and others are not that good at programing yet lel.
>>
One Word:

Cheap Chinese Power Supplies
>>
>>57258647
contuined...
also changing other settings in bios requires resetting the password for the OEM lock out system there are third party tools that can "jailbreak it" to let you do more.

the only probelm with this is that you will void your warranty and no one will service the machine knowing you hacked a bios, because a trained eye can always detect it.
>>
>>57258592
>people on this board actually knowing how to use their machines.
you expect too much , anon.
>>
>>57258672
>the only probelm with this is that you will void your warranty and no one will service the machine knowing you hacked a bios
Just Flash it you twat.
Also
>knowing you hacked a bios
can you not pull stuff out of your ass? do you know how ROM works?
>>
File: 15[1].jpg (141KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
15[1].jpg
141KB, 800x533px
>>57255719
Battlestation threads for faggots with more money than sense.

Look at this PC

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkStation-S30-1x-E5-1650-3-2GHz-12GB-2x-300GB-SAS-0606-2B9-Quadro-2000-/112182942233?hash=item1a1e9fda19:g:8doAAOSwXeJYERIs

This is a great PC for the money. Disregard the broken case door handle, it's meaningless. That CPU is still extremely good. 12gb of RAM is more than enough. The Quadro 2000 will even play some older games, and you can sell it for $50 on ebay and replace it with something newer like a GTX 1050 Ti to have a very nice well-rounded PC for less than $500. Just try to build something piece by piece for the same money and see if the parts are as good as those in the workstations.
>>
>>57258760
>E5
>E - Anything
>GTX 1050 Ti, Board Doesn't have PCI 3.0
Whats the fucking point?
>Muh VRAMz!
Dude stop, thats shit and you know it
>>
>>57255564
1. Locked-out, shitty BIOS/UEFI
2. Cut-down and possibly proprietary hardware
3. Weak and possibly proprietary power supply
4. Terrible drivers for proprietary hardware
5. Often overpriced.
>>
>>57258852
agreed that MAJORITY of pre-builts are never worth the price tag after the 900-1000$ price range
>1. Locked-out, shitty BIOS/UEFI
Flash it
>2. Cut-down and possibly proprietary hardware
Nothing can be done about this and I agree it's shit
>3. Weak and possibly proprietary power supply
Rarer nowadays, though still present(at least as the proprietary bit is concerned).
>4. Terrible drivers for proprietary hardware
100% True when it concerns chipsets
>5. Often overpriced.
Almost always.
This is your reality, Build your own, be proficient.
Prebuilt fags BTFO
>>
>>57258897
>Flash it
Most people don't have the skill to find the right firmware to unlock their machine. Or know how to use it. :^(
>>
>>57258833
There is literally nothing wrong at all with E series CPUs. You know this stands for Enterprise, not Econonmy, right?

PCI-E 2.0 is completely fine. Multiple tests have been done about this because it makes fags like you panic. Maybe by the next GPU generation it will start to make more than a 3 fps difference in 1080p.

i never mentioned a thing about VRAM.

Man, you're pretty fucking stupid.
>>
>>57258944
>You know this stands for Enterprise, not Econonmy
As if that mattered.
it's dated hardware and PCI 3.0 makes a world of difference when it comes to PCI lanes and bottlenecking would be tremendous.
Understand how a Ram Bus/ North bridge works before blathering on about it's speeds.
>Multiple tests have been done about this because it makes fags like you panic.

being this buttmad about your prospective "baby's first pre-build" being a shit. Please research why you're wrong.
>>
>>57258715.
Of course I know that i'm talking about

You have to replace the old OEM bios with a custom one of the exact same Bios

people will know you changed it because the version number would be different and the settings.

do you seriously think RMA people are thick?
get real.

read this
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2015/03/bios_hacking.html

I studied in a university for 10 fucking years.
you amateurs have no idea the changes that happened post 2000~
its alot harder than it used to be to reman undetected.
>>
File: pic_disp[1].jpg (40KB, 601x401px) Image search: [Google]
pic_disp[1].jpg
40KB, 601x401px
>>57258984
>it's dated hardware and PCI 3.0 makes a world of difference when it comes to PCI lanes and bottlenecking would be tremendous.

Dated for doing what? That computer will blaze through everything counted in typical desktop computer scenarios, perform strongly in video production, and play any video game you want in 1080p 60fps if you want to pay enough money to put a GTX 1060 in it.

>PCI 3.0 makes a world of difference when it comes to PCI lanes and bottlenecking would be tremendous.

No, it fucking doesn't. Especially not in this case where we are talking about a $500 PC.

And the Lenovo Thinkstation s30 HAS a full 16x PCI-E 3.0 (has two of them in fact) so this whole point you've made is stupid.
>>
>>57259032
if you can't read this website here is a comment i quoted from linux commenter on the website

"Of course hacking BIOS can now be considered so outdated now that Intel has a new generation of processors with vPro and AMT (Active Management Technology) with a separate hidden instruction set for PC management and remote 3G radio support which works independent of any OS that is suspected to can backdoors capable of hijacking any PC. (It even works when no OS is even installed or running.)

The FSF (Free Software Foundation) has expressed serious concerns:

https://fsf.org/blogs/community/active-management-technology

Who is to say that Intel has not received its share of NSL's, during the design of these chips?

Minimialism is the best approach to security, since the most complex or feature rich something is, the more possible attack surfaces it has. Having vPro and AMT might have some legitimate corporate IT benefit to help remotely manage corporate "enterprise-grade" computers, but is risky and potential quite harmful for individual consumers, even though it is included in many new "consumer-grade" computers. "
>>
>>57255725
Handless moron. Want to twist your neck for what you've done to this.
>>
>>57255725
Nothin like a lil bit of sour cream on your chips
>>
>>57255564
-Lower warranty
-Less choice of internals
-Lower quality mobos
-Lower quality PSUs
-High RAM, weak GPU
-Bad cable management
-Higher price
>>
>>57255586
>Generally slightly more expensive than building it yourself.
>They also cut corners by using cheaper components.
nice contradiction. pick one
>>
>>57259628
Internal components value =/= price paid at the counter dipshit
>>
>>57256164
Welp I did cut myself on RAM when I was 11.
>>
>>57259628
Both are true.
You pay more but they use OEM/bulk class parts.
Usual upside is that the parts are heavily tested to work well together with each-other.
>>
/g/ thinks they're hot shit because they are capable of assembling Lego.
It is like a rite of passage around here.
>>
>>57258664
>Cheap Chinese Power Supplies
My Dell workstation running GNU+Linux has been working flawlessly for 4 years now. No crash, nothing.
>>
There's a Dell with dual xeon making it 8 cores on cl for 140. If I buy that along with maybe a 1060, a better psu, prob some ram and an ssd as well. Would that be fine for gaming?
>>
>>57255564
i have a Dell Optiplex 7010 that runs Linux quite nicely, i removed the HDD and put in a solid state drive and this PC runs faster than greased lightning,
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-10-27_02-36-48.png (2MB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-10-27_02-36-48.png
2MB, 1280x1024px
>>57255564
i paid 80 bucks for mine.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.