[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are ultrawides just memes?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0148.jpg (903KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0148.jpg
903KB, 1920x1080px
Are ultrawides just memes?
>>
looks nice to me
>>
>>57254836
Depends, they're kinda limited by size, get into the larger sets and it's a bit too wide, and finding a good one is much harder than 169.
>>
>>57254836
I have a U3415W and just one of those alone cost me more than most people on /g/'s entire setups.

Ownership of an ultrawide is a privilege only a select few have. I will soon be privileged enough to own a second U3415W--or I may even hold out and wait for LG's new 38 inch ultrawide.
>>
horizontal space is a premium on a desk
why would you ever go with a shortscreen display
>>
>>57254836
i have an x34. I like it for both games and for productivity. Its great when working on multiple documents or with code.
>>
>>57254899
>U3415W
>IPS
>curved
Yeah, no.

>>57254917
It's a drop in replacement for 2 5:4 screens. It's quite nice, especially if that black bar in the middle drives you nuts.
>>
Honestly, it's really cool for games that support it AND it's useful for two windows next to each other.
>>
>>57254836
I'm waiting for 4k cards/screens to drop in price. 2k standard for now.

When it's a good time to upgrade, my 2k will rotate and become a portrait monitor for coding etc.
>>
>>57254928
>Its great when working on multiple documents or with code

Can you rotate it and have your file extend down the curved page?

What would that even look like?
>>
>>57254836
>no black bezel during movies
that's about it
>>
Got a deal for a 34 inch 1080p ultra wide for about $280.

Is that a bad idea going 1080p on such a wide and large display?
>>
>>57257448

Do you have to ask? People on this board are dumb as fuck.
>>
>>57254928
can you post a picture of that setup? i've heard one or two neckbeards claim to do this but whenever i ask to see proof it looks like they just scrambled to turn their ultrawide on its side - like they'd never done it before, never figured out a stand solution, cable management, etc...
>>
I'm actually going to go pick up an Asus 34" 100hz 3440x1440 later this week. I'm hoping two 980 Ti's are gonna drive it no sweat for at least another year.

Coming off their 1440p 144hz, it's the shitty colors I can't deal with man. Giving that one to my sister most likely.
>>
I bought an Acer Predator x34 (meme monitor indeed) but I fucking love it. I refused to give up my 16:10 monitor for the longest time, and I finally just bit the bullet and upgraded. I'm glad I got this particular size and resolution, since I feel like I'm not missing that much from the vertical aspect.

I also upgraded from a 550 ti to a GTX 970 just to hold me over until I can afford a GTX 1080. So far it works well enough, but there definitely are issues with certain games at this resolution. My hope is that 21:9 takes off over 4K and we get more content suited to this. It's immersive and productivity is incredible on it.
>>
If ultrawides were a thing I would have gotten one instead of my 3x asus 278qs
>>
yes its a meme
its only use is for gaymer manchildren.
Portrait 16:10 is where its at.
>>
>>57254836
its nice to have two windows open on same screen
>>
Unless you're in a position, you're need to replace two broken 1920x1080/1200 displays, yes, it's nothing more than a meme pushed by people who can't stop buying shit they don't need.
>>
>>57254899
They're not all that special. I had 2 for CAD work and I ended up giving them to my brother when I replaced them with 2 4k benq guys.

Colour gamut is off no matter what they say and they're more of a gimmick. For movies though. A bigger curved screen is nice.
>>
>>57254836
good to have it ? Yeah if i can afford it.
better to have it ? well not really, i can do the same thing with a smaller 4k screen.
cool to have it ? damn sure it is until timmy few streets down sold his car to buy a 12k gigawide ips screen.
>>
They're way superior to 3 way set ups but equally as niche. Great for gaming, worse for productivity than a similarly sized 4K monitor because you have to move your head to see the other side of the screen.
>>
>>57254836
They are memes but not all memes are bad.
>>
Looks to be useful for editing. More space for timeline. I'd just buy a second screen though.
>>
>>57254836
>for vidya
yes
>for productivity
no they are actually very good for that
>>
>>57259097
>no they are actually very good for that
How is it compared to a two monitor setup? I'm used to working on my main one, and having a separate monitor dedicated to references as well as stuff like music players and chat windows. I'm thinking about replacing my two monitors with a single ultrawide, but I fear regretting it.
>>
What's a good 1440p 60Hz monitor at a decent size?
>>
>>57258270
"productivity" is a literal buzzword, it all actually comes down to what you actually do
I have a 4k monitor at home and 2x1080p monitors on my desk at work and for what I do the dual monitor is many times better
>>
widescreen + unity + treestyle tabs firefox ext. = max comfy
>>
>>57257467
ok guess not
>>
>>57254836
CURVED ULTRAWIDES ARE THE GOAT FOR IMMERSION, SHORT OF STRAPPING FAGGOT ASS VR GOGGLES TO YOUR EYEBALLS

CURVED MONITORS ARE NOT A MEME LIKE CURVED TVS CUS YOUR PERSONAL POV IS ALL THAT MATTERS WITH A MONITOR

SHITTY BEZELS IN YOUR FACE ON 2X 3X MONITOR SETUPS IS WHAT ULTRAWIDES FIX

THEYRE STILL NOT TALL ENOUGH THOUGH, AND THE HZ IS TOO LOW

A 46" UW WOULD BE A PROPER 3X MONITOR REPLACEMENT
>>
@57259419 (You)
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.