[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CPU delidding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

Anybody successfully delidded their CPU? Was it worth it? Post your temperatures, pictures etc.

I'm thinking of buying this tool:http://www.rockitcool.com/
>>
Delidding is only worth it if you're into extreme overclocking

If you're not into that then it's pointless work and could damage your CPU just to save a few degrees that won't matter since modern coolers and thermal pastes already keep things cool.
>>
This is dumb af
>hey lets open up this delicate component lmao
>>
>>57249286
It comes with risks. Don't do it unless you can afford to buy another one.
.t ex-delidder
>>
>>57250083
what's a typical success rate for a novice?
I (not OP btw) could afford breaking a CPU but am not quite so rich I wouldn't care at all.
>>
If you're spending 3-5k + dollars on overclocking special hardwares, don't bother.
>>
new thermal paste outside is often better than new thermal paste inside
>>
Are you considering liquid nitrogen cooling, OP? If you arent then don't bother deliddling. The difference will be below 1 celsius and you'll risk of damaging a 800 dollar component.

>>57250696
Depends on how clumsy person you are.
>>
Like many here I can confirm it is not worth it for most people unless you are either a hardcore overclocker or a competent hardware enthusiast who is so Jewed off with Intel for putting shit thermal paste with a poor application that you want the CPU to be as good as possible.

General advice it that it is fairly safe or easy to do this for the consumer or mid range desktops from Ivybridge to Skylake (would recommend doing research to be safe) which use the cheaper thermal application, but this is mostly pointless on all high end desktop where Intel don't normally cut corners with these CPUs (not sure if this is still the case though).

Again would recommend during research (who successfully delided, etc) and measuring first whether this is worth doing in the first place.
>>
As pointless as lapping.
>>
>>57250049
Underage people obviously don't remember the days when FC packages didn't have heat spreaders.
>>
>>57249286
I delidded my 4770k and put a gallium based tim. Got a 7 celcius temp improvement under load.

Just be careful as fuck it isnt very hard.
>>
>>57250049
>being a pussy
>>
Interesting, my old laptop had a CPU like that, I didn't even realize it was just a cover desu
>>
>>57251578
Back then CPU power draw was in the milliwatts...
>>
>>57251702
No, no it wasn't.
>>
>not sanding the CPU for better thermal contact
>>
>>57251694
Usually it was soldered on, which is part of the reason for the hole on the socket R/R3 processors. Intel consumer processors have had TIM instead since Ivy Bridge.
>>
>>57249286
I did it for my 3570k. Replaced the shit thermal paste with liquid metal. It dropped temps by a good 15C or so.

Unfortunately the chip is an extremely bad bin and can't overclock beyond 4.2GHz without extreme voltage bumps.
>>
>>57251756
>Unfortunately the chip is an extremely bad bin and can't overclock beyond 4.2GHz without extreme voltage bumps.
Same here.
>>
>>57251702
>Back then CPU power draw was in the milliwatts...
Yeah, like the 130000mW Prescots...
>>
File: 1468789400020.png (78KB, 1090x766px) Image search: [Google]
1468789400020.png
78KB, 1090x766px
>>57249286
I have delidded my i7 4770k and i7 4970k. Devil's Canyon is in use but the 4770k is somewhere and I can't fucking find it. I'll promise to post pictures when remember where I put it.

I use Coollaboratory Liquid Pro under and on top of the IHS. Under load thermals are 10-15c lower on the 4770k and I never tested the 4790k without delid. It goes though, pic related.
>>
>>57252212
Those are really good temperatures, what cooler are you using?
>>
>>57252315
H110
>>
>>57250889
You mean 800 złoty
>>
>>57251405

How do I unjew my cpu?
>>
>>57249339

>Delidding is only worth it if you're into extreme overclocking

Bullshit.
>>
it's sad that it's still needed, even with high-end chips, considering the prices Jewtel is charging.

is delidding needed with AMDs, too?
>>
>>57252642
It obviously isn't needed but it really helps with thermals on some models, mostly i5 and i7 series CPUs after Sandy Bridge. Not all Intels can be delidded, their Core i7 E-series CPUs have IHS soldered to the die. I have no idea about AMD and delidding.
>>
File: 1388454227675.jpg (106KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1388454227675.jpg
106KB, 1280x720px
>>57252642
When the ihs is soldered on, I have found little difference in temps delidding.

But if you get bad contact with the cooler, it can help alot grinding down any un eveness on the ihs.

If you have a cpu that has only thermal paste under, pop that ihs.

My old socket 939 Opteron 175 from 2006 still runs on 3.2ghz on watercooling, popped ihs :)
>>
File: confused black guy2.png (38KB, 216x162px) Image search: [Google]
confused black guy2.png
38KB, 216x162px
I thought delidding was only useful for the old haswell chipsets (4770k etc)
>>
>>57252900
Still has a significant effect on Skylake.
>>
>>57252751
You can't even delid a soldered IHS
>>
>>57249286
did it with an early 3570k. it was pretty easy, albeit terrifying. improved temps pretty dramatically.
>>
>>57252954
Kek, yes you can.

You cut the rubber around the edges as usual, put some thin blades just inside all four sides to get some tension, then you heat the ihs until the solder melts and ihs comes of.
>>
>>57252991
No anon

Nobody does that nor should anyone ever do it
Stop being trying to fit in by saying kek outside containment boards
>>
>>57253007
What? I have done it plenty of times on cpus from 478, 775, 1366 and 2011. There is no problem if you are carefull. But as I mentioned earlier, there is very little benefit on soldered ihs' as they transfer heat very well and dont dry out like paste.
>>
>>57252991
I delidded my soldered E6700 by cutting the black sealant/adhesive with DE blades and using a vice and wrench to slowly twist it off. I actually got worse temps and I think it's because with the much smaller surface area of the die it's better to have a much better heat conductor (solder) to transfer to larger surface area (literally called "heat spreader" or IHS) then to a worse heat conductor (thermal compound).
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.