[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is a cs degree worth over something like applied math?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: Homer-SIMPSON-MATH.jpg (115KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Homer-SIMPSON-MATH.jpg
115KB, 2000x1000px
Is a cs degree worth over something like applied math?
>>
A CS degree today is worth less than a IT degree unless you're specializing as a electrician.
>>
Math is much better, also FYI:

1st line: 15 years pre prediction of mass of higgs boson
2nd: Fermat's theorem
3rd: Mass of universe
4th: Donuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk_Kjpl2AaA
14:48
>>
>>57249395
yeah but math is also hard
>>
>>57249401
Not if practice and put effort in. If you can't get the passion then you may as well study CS (Word processing, excel, etc) or learn a trade.
>>
>>57249311
that is a retarded statement because cs majors can get IT jobs better than IT majors
>>
>>57249311
bachelor degrees in CS are worthless and CS degrees from shitty universities, but IT degrees ae always worthless
>>
>>57249311
>CS degree
>electrician
how to spot an IT guy
>>
>>57249418
Same could be said for any degree. Put the same amount of effort into Masters for Math and Engineering and Engineering will always be more useful (not as hard, better pay).

I fully respect people that do shit like pure Physics/Math past Bachelor level. That shit's hard and confusing as fuck. One error in your calculations fucks everything up.
>>
you don't need a fucking degree to be a programmer
>muh college rite of passage I need to take on $100000 debt to get a job
>>
>>57249425
low-level IT jobs, but not the more advanced ones. I don't know anybody who took CS that could design an enterprise network from scratch but I know some Cisco IT wiz-kid that can.
>>
>>57249261
Take a look at job offers for IT people and you will see that someone with a degree in math or physics also has good chances for the position

Do the same with job offers for physicists/mathematicians and you will see that CS majors have not the slightest chance to get one of those jobs
>>
>>57249311
>electrician
>actually wanting to fuck around with a bunch of wires and electrical shit
>good degree
Dumbfuck/bait.
>>
>>57249874
it's a better career than CS though, especially if you do it via apprenticeship instead of wasting time and money in college
>>
>>57249927
let me guess:
you failed your first CS semester ?
>>
>>57249941
nope 4 years, time and money I will never get back. an electrician will make more money than 90% of CS majors and won't have to pay off any dept (if they do it right).
>>
>>57249976
either you are a total retard or you live on a different planet than the rest of us

what's your job and how the fuck can you make less than an electrician ?
>>
>>57250055
what do you think electricians get paid? it's one of the best jobs you can get without a degree (that includes programming)
>>
File: 1476069911205.png (20KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1476069911205.png
20KB, 1000x1000px
>have no fucking clue what I want to go to school for
>everyone and their mother always asks me what im going to school for
>whenever I say that Im just doing general education to get them off my back they always say go do a cs degree
>currently working as 11/hr retail job
>only been there a year and already want to die

I don't want to go to school for a worthless degree
>>
>>57250098
no one ever implied that programming is a good job. it's a shitty job for cs failures

and where i'm from electricians start at ~2-3k€/month which isn't much
>>
Truth is, you can teach someone all the tools they need to be a "programmer", but you're either a good logical thinker, or you aren't. People who suck dick at finding algorithms for tasks will always suck dick at finding algorithms for tasks. For some strange reason, plenty of employers seem to think that the piece of paper means you don't suck dick at finding algorithms.

The stupid thing is, too many people get through CS programs on "partial marks". Too many computer science departments are too soft on Pajeet's who couldn't think their way out of a paper bag. Math departments don't have this same philosophy. The number of people I've seen get passing grades in CS, for typically writing programs that don't even work is fucking miserable. The marking rubrics for most assignments are fucking retarded. Example:

• 0 marks for submitting nothing and/or les that cannot be opened.
• -1 mark for lack of identication in the solution.
• 5 marks for loading and unloading each character onto and o the boat (if possible).
• 4 marks for moving the boat and unloading any passengers.
• 1 mark for resetting the puzzle on the ’r’ key.
• 3 marks for checking and displaying appropriate error messages on illegal moves.
• 2 marks for checking the win condition and displaying a message when the puzzle has been solved.
• 1 bonus mark for enabling additional movement of the boat by clicking on it.
• 1 mark for documenting code using comments and docstrings.
• 1 mark for good coding style.

So you get a 0 if you don't hand in the assignment, and you lose a mark if you don't put your name on it. Then of the 17 available marks(one is bonus), you could still get 15/17 by essentially having a program that doesn't even work, or remotely do what it is supposed to by just not checking victory conditions at all. This is what all assignments in all of our fucking classes are like. This is why having a CS degree is a joke.
>>
>>57249395
>2nd: Fermat's theorem
A near miss solution to Fermat's last theorem to be precise.
>>
>>57250195
The average CS graduate at my university starts at 7k a month.
>>
>>57249261
only if you are interested in computers. Do applied math if you aren't interested in computers, or thing that a cs degree involves learning how to be a software engineer
>>
>>57250195
I earned that much as a helper/apprentice. With a year or two of experience (assuming you're not a lazy piece of shit), you can earn more than that weekly. Even more once you get that Journeyman license. it can be hard work at times though, definitely not for everybody.
>>
>>57250255
Might depend on school. At mine most people get weeded out with calc II, and lots of the classes have heavily weighted final projects so one can't just study through the final exam. There were some 90+ students in first year and by 3rd year those on track were like 20.

The SE kids are known cheaters though. Every class I've had with them they cheated on final exam
>>
>>57250356
that's why i said start.
but i'm curious, where does an electrician make 10k€ / month ? can you provide any statistics/sources ?
>>
>>57249401
Doesn't have to be.

>>57249592
You are correct. Being a programmer is very different than being a computer scientist.

>>57249612
Hi. Some CS people also do telecoms.

>>57249874
You need to know your shit to design/work with deploying datacentre-scale systems. Including HVAC

>>57249976
That's because CS students think they are going to learn how to program computers. >dept it is spelled "debt"

>>57250255
Some of the best analytical thinkers in my work came from finance/business management degree programmes, and math. The CS grads just want to re-invent the wheel from first principles, and don't know the right tools for the job, or the right questions to ask.
>>
>>57250423

Well, I came from a CAD/Production mgmt background, where shit has to be correct, simple, functional, and be readable or you get raped by everyone and anyone, so I totally know what you mean about CS students trying to reinvent the wheel.

In my CAD course there were partial marks, but if you shit shit didn't work/was blatantly fucked it was an instant failure. Also anything lower than a 70% was considered a fail. Now here at uni and people are getting by with 51% and shit and it makes me fucking sick.

Too many people get into CS because they "like computers" or "want to make video games". Not enough people get into CS because they enjoy solving problems simply, and elegantly.
>>
>>57250404
Im from Texas, and no statistical, just anecdotal evidence from friends, family and personal experiences. My brother makes around $10000/month, but that's before taxes and he works around 60hrs a week, but he's not even a Journeyman yet. My father makes way more than that, but he owns his own electrical company. Other friends and family member get paid $21-30/hrs, but they usually have to pull overtime and also get additional perdiem pay.

Not only am I from Texas, I also live on the gulf coast, so the there a huge amount of chemical plant jobs that give good pay. Also, there seems to be a shortage of experienced, skilled labor here in Texas, so not only electricians, but also other trade jobs like welders and plumbers, are getting great pay. So this pay may not be the norm.
>>
>>57249261
applied math 100% of the time
a lot of applied math people end up in computer science fields anyway, but in a better position than codemonkey (which is what a lot of cs grads end up as)
>>
>>57249311
Simply not true.
>>
>>57251919
The average codemonkey gets paid way more than a university professor conducting research.
>>
Typical blow up thread
It's kind of like applied math, actually, in the workds of Kenneth Iverson, applied mathematics is concerned with making procedures for use in an area of application that yield or approximate a desired result, these are called algorithms or programs.
It is just one of several branches of mathematics which happens to have it's own place in superior education because it is closely related to the apparatus which it uses for it's endeavor in modern life, as well as it's immediate utility to all other disciplines.
>>
the amount of bullshit and trolling in these threads is always over 9000

cs degrees are applied maths heavy, light on physics
engineering degrees have more physics and less programming theory
math/physics have no theory at either the hardware or software level
it/is has some maths with business
blue collar jobs are for those who can't into college
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.