[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Data Hoarding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: hdd.jpg (86KB, 715x450px) Image search: [Google]
hdd.jpg
86KB, 715x450px
I'm sure many here suffer from this.

A few years ago I accidentally put the charger from my Laptop in my external HDD wich isn't working since them.
So, is it possible to take the board from a HDD of the same model and solder it on to get the HDD working again?

Another question, should I even try? On this drive are data from the time I had ICQ, a life, friends and GFs etc. So many memories. I don't really need them, but I want to have them. Should I destroy the HDD and look forward?

Do you hoard data? Do you REALLY need all the data?
>>
>>57249190
>So, is it possible to take the board from a HDD of the same model and solder it on to get the HDD working again?
There are shops and companies whose job is exactly to save data from malfunctioning drives for their client. So the answer is yes, just don't be stupid and do it yourself.

>Another question, should I even try?
As somebody who once lost his entire HDD with his most precious treasures, I'm gonna go with..probably no. I lost my stuff suddenly and without ever having the chance to save it. I still have PTSD about that by the way.
You on the other hand have been living without those things for years. Just 3 days ago I threw out almost everything from my drawers, junk I once thought held memories, but now I realized I was never using them. I didn't need them. That said, if you feel like you'd die if you didn't have those things back, go and have a professional recover them. If you wouldn't die and you think you'd be fine, let it go.

>Do you hoard data?
Some. I download stuff, but I need to organize it perfectly. I'm a librarian, so that's my excuse for having like 300GB of techno and trance music, books etc. In my defense I have ADHD, so the organizing goes REALLY slow. Like years slow.
>Do you REALLY need all the data?
Yes, there are some great fucking tracks among the junk. I just need to find them.... one day.
>>
>>57249508
Thank you for your reply. I think the best will be to keep the device and make a professional recovery someday when I'm earning more money.

Organizing and reducing the data is also a topic for me. I have like a dozen different backups from a different time from my smartphone(s). These are TWRP backups and backups from all files on the phone. So I have many copies of the Whatsapp folder from a different time with different photos wich I don't want to loose (apparently).
It's like 50GB of data (twice for a backup) wich contain maybe 2-3GB of "important" data.

Sometimes I think, when I'm 80 years old, I would love too look at all these photos from decades ago. Do others think so too?
>>
>>57249190
I wish I could hoard data, but I'm too poor to afford drives, so I'm always stuck with 1 or 2 GB free, until I upload something on the cloud (nothing vital, and everything is encrypted), so I can have a few GBs free for a couple of days until the story repeats again.
>>
>>57250051
>>Sometimes I think, when I'm 80 years old, I would love too look at all these photos from decades ago. Do others think so too?
most certainly
>>
>>57249190
You dont need to solder to swap boards. But each board does have calibration data for that hdd that may need to be swapped over. But try swapping boards, its unlikely to hurt anything.
>>
I have a 128GB SSD in my laptop and 3 hard drives: a 1TB 5400 rpm on eSATA, a 750GB 5400 rpm on eSATA, and a 750GB 7200 rpm in the optical bay using a caddy.

I recently wiped out all the content on the externals, mostly movies I'd *cough*acquired*cough* through various means, like a terabyte or so of 1080p HEVC encodes and a whole lot more. Probably just going to sell the hard drives since I don't really have any use for 'em, could use the money more at this point.

Do I miss any of it? Not particularly and I'm barely using 50GB of the SSD to be honest.

I don't watch much of anything anymore, I don't stream videos online, I grab stuff from P2P/DD sources like Rlsbb or whatever and delete it as soon as I'm done watching it. The only thing I keep around is my self-encoded music collection (encoded from FLAC source, hand-tagged with album art embedded, Opus 128 Kbps).

Hoarding is just crazy shit, it really is.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.