[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Web Design Programming Languages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5

File: javascript.png (4KB, 236x237px) Image search: [Google]
javascript.png
4KB, 236x237px
I want to create and program websites and I think Javascript fucking sucks.
So what other options do i have?
>>
php
if that is any solution at all
>>
>>57244226
>web design
>programming
Pick one
>>
I'm assuming you mean frontend dev.
Either a language that compiles to JS like TypeScript, Dart or CoffeScript.
Or e.g. Brython - Python made in JS.
>>
>>57244226
Use Babel and write ES6. It's much better and I really enjoy working with it.
>>
>>57244234
but is it a good starting language?
>>
>>57244244
> Coffeescript
Python pleb.

Use ES6 or TypeScript. They're both very well made and maintained/standardized.
>>
>>57244244
>Python made in JS.
God, no...please tell me this is just some sick joke
>>
>>57244259
Not really, no.
>>57244256
I haven't personally used CS, is it bad?
>>
>>57244256

Coffeescript is a Ruby meme. Even as a Ruby dev I can't stand it.

>TypeScript

This is a great answer.

Also, Elm and Clojurescript are picking up popularity if you can handle it.
>>
>>57244256
CoffeeScript is for JavaScript fags who want to pretend they're writing Ruby.
>>
Dart.
>>
>>57244259
>God, no...please tell me this is just some sick joke
Why? There are even C++ to JavaScript compilers now. Brendan Eich presented some recently open sourced Unreal Tournament thing that was translated into JavaScript and ran inside a browser at QCon in 2013.
>>
>>57244289
Old meme

>>57244256
>>57244244
>>57244267
>there are people here that non-ironically recommend typescript

JUST
>>
>>57244329
why is it bad you fag
>>
>>57244344
>JavaScript with weak type """hinting"""" strapped on to it
>maintained by Microsoft
>only decent typescript -> javascript compiler is made by Microsoft
>only decent typescript IDE is Visual Studio
Geeee I wonder why
>>
>>57244353
so nothing?
>>
>>57244361
Poo in the streets, Pajeet in the sheets
>>
>>57244353
desu Atom has better support for typescript than Visual Studio Code
>>
>>57244380
>Visual Studio Code
>Code
Yes, Visual Studio Code is utter shit. But that should hardly be a surprise to anyone.

I'm talking about the full-fledged professional[tm] version.

Atom is hell desu, might as well be using Aptana.
>>
>>57244394
since when desu gets converted into desu.

Back in the moot days this shit didn't happen.
>>
>>57244431
Are you new to /g/ ? T B H and F A M has been word filtered into desu senpai for almost a year now.
I wonder if it applies to code though.
desu
senpai
>>
File: 1428889505173.png (427KB, 944x699px) Image search: [Google]
1428889505173.png
427KB, 944x699px
>>57244246
not saying it.
>>
>>57244442
I post here everyday and I just realized this right now.

wtf hiroshimoot
>>
>>57244462
It was a result from a ongoing meme where everyone replied t b h followed by f a m to every fucking single thing, and when it changed to desu senpai all the animefags rejoiced because it reminded them of the time when /g/ and /a/ and /jp/ went hand in hand.

It's not hiroshima nagasaki's fault though, it some random mod.
>>
>>57244431
>Back in the moot days this shit didn't happen
get a loads of this candy ass
>>
>>57244431
>Back in the Sigourney days this shit didn't happen.
Fixed that for you, you candy ass roody poo
>>
What's the point of using TypeScript besides pseudo static typing and better OOP?
>>
>>57244591
None. Use ECMAScript instead
>>
>>57244612
Why doesn't everyone call it ECMAScript like you? Because it's the proper name.
>>
>>57244300
>put C++ into JS in order to be interpreted into machine code through C++ interpreter
Why

>>57244256
>ES6
Isn't that just JS but without branding?
>>
>>57244736
>Why
To (effectively) demonstrate modern JS interpreters has an extremely low overhead

And if that still isn't fast enough for you, you have asm.js that is compiled JavaScript.
>>
>>57244226
clojurescript is pretty comfy
>>
File: 1476233418241.jpg (91KB, 640x637px) Image search: [Google]
1476233418241.jpg
91KB, 640x637px
>>57244756
Aside of memes I'm interested to know how does modern JS compare to mainstream compiled languages like Java, C# and C++ in terms of speed and efficiency.
>>
>adding another layer on top of the most based interpreted language

kys
>>
>>57244828
Not a compiled language but I think JS running on V8 is faster than Python. I think it also uses a lot of memory though
>>
>>57244931
Can't Python be compiled too?
>>
>>57244945
Yes it can.
>>
>>57244353
Can be bait but I answer. What is bad about type hinting? VSCode, VS, Atom, Webstorm (idea IDEs) all support intelliSense. I'd argue that webstorms implementation is even better than Microsofts. Why is made maintained by Microsoft a bad thing? It's open source after all. You're free to fork it. So I really don't see any real arguments here.
>>
>>57244736
ES6 includes all the new features of ECMAScript like arrow functions and constants. So it's not supported by every browser. This is why you need something like Babel or TypeScript to make it backwards compatible with older browsers. Note that TypeScript is superset of ES6.
>>
>>57245067
What does babel do, does it add polyfills for ES6 functionality?
>>
>>57244982
>What is bad about type hinting?
It's easily confused with strong static typing, which it isn't.

>VSCode, VS, Atom, Webstorm (idea IDEs) all support intelliSense.
CODE COMPLETION IS NOT A MICROSOFT INVENTION YOU FUCKING INDIAN MICROSOFT DRONE

IntelliSense[tm] = what Microsoft has, apparently successfully, attempted to rename and rebrand code completion as.

>Why is made maintained by Microsoft a bad thing?
They control the entire ecosystem. This is not a good thing, and is why F# never took off despite being an objectively good language.

Microsoft has attempted to hijack web before, with ActiveX, Silverlight etc.... It's never a good thing when they get involved into originally open standards and start to mess around and "extend" it with their own shit.

>>57245067
>that misleading illustration
types and """"annotations"""" are .5% improvement over ES6 (which already has annotations).

>>57244931
JavaScript can be compiled, se asm.js
>>
>>57244226
I would say start with PHP, SQL and then the basic HTML and CSS... Maybe one of the bullshit CSS preprocessor languages too.

You will never escape JavaScript though, but you can try to minimise usage.
>>
I wish I was smart enough to understand what all of these means
>>
>>57244770
Next time I have to write a web application I think I'll try it.
>>
>>57245140
>Microsoft has attempted to hijack web before, with ActiveX, Silverlight etc.... It's never a good thing when they get involved into originally open standards and start to mess around and "extend" it with their own shit.
This, you can never trust them with their bullshit. They only pretend like they give a shit about free/open source software because Windows 10 is a failure.
>JavaScript can be compiled, se asm.js
I meant Python isn't a compiled language
>>
>>57245209
>I meant Python isn't a compiled language
There are Python compilers too, for both native code and to other intermediate byte code formats, such as running on the JVM.
>>
>>57245347
And nobody uses it.
>>
>>57244226
>Web Design
>javascript
i think you missed the point of css
>>
http://www.transcrypt.org
>>
DESU senpai
>>
I've been meaning to take a look at Lapis as a framework for a while, is it decent? It tickles me nipples that you're basically using CoffeeScript without the cancer of JS.
>>
>>57245614
alright i am taking bait
what is so bad about ECMAScript 6?
>>
>>57245208
clojure(script) is based. Clojure and clojurescript have become my go-to general programming languages. I'd recommend the luminus Template if you want some spoonfeeding: if you're a big boy then just read the docs for Ring+Compojure on the backend, either hoplon or reagent for the front end, and get going.
>>
File: saya.jpg (79KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
saya.jpg
79KB, 1280x720px
I'm trying to create a video-sharing site similar to youtube. I got a basic upload system running but have no idea how to handle a video database or how to implement a videoplayer without Javascript.
Would /g/ lend me some of their expertise?
>>
>>57246777
video database = in database the links to the hard drive location don't store anything other than text in a database.
>>
>>57244226
>web design
>programming languages
El Oh El
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.