[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fucking MIDI

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: midi.jpg (51KB, 620x436px) Image search: [Google]
midi.jpg
51KB, 620x436px
So I have a bunch of MID files, some SGT files, and one DLS file. From my understanding the SGT files do not require any kind of additional sound file, and on Windows I am good to go with Simply DirectMusic Player (SDMP). Unfortunately this piece of rat's ass software does not play any of the MID files, even after explicitly setting the DLS.

>inb4 lol his MID files are broken
Here is where it gets stupid. I wanted to get SOME player to run those files and read that VLC, after some tweaking (on Linux now) was capable of playing MID files, so I tested one of those files that SDMP wouldn't play. That didn't work immediately because I didn't have a fucking Soundfont (SF2) file to feed it, so I just downloaded an example Soundfont and set VLC to play it. And VLC played the fucking thing even though SDMP couldn't. Of course it was not the song that I expected, due to the fact that I had to download an example Soundfont instead of the original one because VLC does not support having a DLS file being shoved up its anus.

Let's recap:
- SDMP does play SGT files, supports DLS, but goes full retard on MID files
- VLC plays MID files, but does not support neither DLS nor SGT files

At this point I just want to convert the tracks that I have into RIFF WAV files, so it does not matter on what operating system and what player/converter I am if I can only get the MIDs converted. On Windows I can just use Audacity as a last means resort to capture the playback as RIFF WAV, on Linux I know I can do the same with ALSA. So I tried to search for DLS->SF2 converters, and there have been mentionings of VSampler3 and Aware Studios. If you find free, not obviously virus-ridden versions of those, I am officially an idiot and deserve to die.

And apparently no one else wants to deal with DLS files in their players. Is it at this point easier to just try and try to program my own custom player that accesses the DirectMusic API on Windows?
>>
>>57243829
Dude youre a retard. Even my child uses midis and synths rewiring throuhg jack
>>
>>57243896
>JACK
Go away.
>>
>>57243909
>JACK

Is there even any other option?
>>
>>57243943
I don't know. I just know that I never got JACK to run properly with my hardware. Pulseaudio also. The latencies were always too big, and this is not exactly some cheap-ass machine.
>>
>>57243973

But this latency's Linux fault, not jack.

At the minimum, use a kernel with full preemption enabled. If you can, use the rtlinux patchset.
>>
>>57244236
Well, ALSA works just fine, so I'd assume it's not Linux's fault.

I keep reading the thread, but in the background I am searching for some example code to provide the MIDI mapper with a DLS file.
>>
>>57244327
>Well, ALSA works just fine, so I'd assume it's not Linux's fault.

Why did you use jack in the first place, if you don't seem to need it?
>>
>>57244540
Because I was told that certain audio-related actions (resampling, remapping, capture) could be set up with JACK as well. And if you ever had to look into /etc/asound.conf (or whatever the file is named, I cannot look it up right now), you know just what kind of brain rewiring this format needs, and how bad certain aspects are documented. I very much wanted to avoid that.
>>
>>57244660
>you know just what kind of brain rewiring this format needs, and how bad certain aspects are documented.

Don't look into the ALSA interfaces then; You'd cower in horror.
>>
>>57245398
Too late. :( Since I abandoned JACK and PA I HAD to deal with this crap.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.