[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would be a good first programming language to learn?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: beafd2b6.jpg (75KB, 764x1023px) Image search: [Google]
beafd2b6.jpg
75KB, 764x1023px
What would be a good first programming language to learn?
>>
C#, c++, java
>>
I would recommend Python.
>>
C++
>>
>>57239502
My name isn't pajeet
>>
>>57239487

not C++, start with Python
>>
Read SICP.
Start with Scheme, then C.

All this JS,Python,Java for dummies is garbage. Do that only if you prefer to cargo cult like all normies.
>>
Haskell, Scala
>>
C or Scheme
>>
>>57239625
>Read SICP.
>Start with Scheme
Esoteric waste of time and effort that will only make you better at using emacs, a shitty text editor.
>>
qbasic using edlin
>>
borland turbo assembler
>>
>>57239635
Only if you have a type monk complex who needs to prove that ML and Java are so wrong for some reason, and need a 2010s makeover, stroustrup style.

Another example of out-hipstering choices are Julia and Elixir for R and Erlang.
>>
>>57239648
you don't have to use emacs to program in scheme. you can type scheme --load hello-world.scm to load a program into the repl
>>
>>57239487
Quantum BASIC
>>
>>57239487
Python or Ruby but I lean more toward Ruby for your first language as it will teach you object oriented programming concepts and is a lot more forgiving than a compiled language like C++.

Whatever language you pick, you will learn programming concepts that translate over to other languages.
>>
File: 1476296430741.jpg (32KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
1476296430741.jpg
32KB, 620x400px
>>57239816
>as it will teach you object oriented programming concepts
>>
im not very far ahead of you OP, but I'm pretty happy with learning C first, im learning a lot.
>>
>>57239855
Please elaborate on your disgust, shitposter.

Everything in Ruby is an object :^)
Also he'll learn more about programming concepts and techniques, being a dynamic language and all, than have to sit and scratch his balls trying to sort an array at compile time.

Ruby: array.sort
C++:
fdakfdfkpafkskfwajutrfwpefjkmwefvojm aegv mjnwgijsdgflk'ajsflkasjdfladsjmfclkmcfvlfvfcmjakfdsjmclkajmldkfjlasfsdmj flkasfjkls;adfjldsakjfls;fjclks;fjsal;kfjmasdlkfj
>>
>>57239487

Stick with the useful stuff anon, Haskell and Fortran.
>>
File: HTML.jpg (27KB, 512x386px) Image search: [Google]
HTML.jpg
27KB, 512x386px
HTML for sure. It's ezpz squeen my lemons and a good way to get a feel of what coding is about.
>>
>>57239487
Haskell and Prolog. Anything procedural is for pajeet/retards.
>>
>>57239993

I agree. Maybe he should pick up lisp while he's at it.
>>
COBOL
>>
What's the non-Pajeet choice?
>>
>>57239487
Learn a simple small language first, not necessarily the one you think you'll be using day to day once you know how to program. Ideally, you need a language that is straightforward, you can fit all of the rules in your head at once, and doesn't autocorrect and autocomplete in a helpful IDE. Basically, you don't want a language that does everything for you won't your learning. That leaves your with scheme, line number basic, and pascal. Since those aren't for everyone, C and python are often used, since you can use subsections of them, and ignore their huge and wonderful standard libraries. The key with them is to not Google answers
>>
Haskell.

Also learn something like R, Mathematica, or Octave/MATLAB. Normal languages are a bit too semantic if you just want to explore ideas and solve problems.
>>
C
>>
File: haskell_logo1.png (30KB, 647x599px) Image search: [Google]
haskell_logo1.png
30KB, 647x599px
>>57239487
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.