[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it retarded to install Linux on a Macbook Pro? My dad got

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3

File: mbp_ubu.jpg (110KB, 800x478px) Image search: [Google]
mbp_ubu.jpg
110KB, 800x478px
Is it retarded to install Linux on a Macbook Pro?

My dad got one really cheap and Mac OS feels so smooth.
>>
>>57233763
No, but you are retarded.
>>
>>57233954
f*cking epic xD
>>
the trackpad handles like fucking garbage on linux and that alone makes linux worthless on a macbook
>>
>Machine which has the entire purpose of software and hardware made for each other
>install fucking Linux on it

Do what you want mate. Windows on a Mac is sacrilege, but Linux, fucking Linux, wow.
>>
>>57233763
>Mac OS feels so smooth
then why are you even asking?
why would you install an OS that works worse (on this hardware), looks worse, and supports less software?
>>
>>57233763
>Is it retarded to install Linux
yes
>>
>>57234256
muh freedum
>>
Run GNU/Linux in a virtual machine and get the best of both worlds
>>
>>57233763
Unfortunately yes because you're already running UNIX with Mac OS, and Linux runs worse on the hardware than Mac. You can install Brew (?) or whatever it is to get some Linux programs on Mac however, I'm sure someone will chime in and correct me with the proper method.
>>
>>57234427
most of the brew shit is fucking worthless, theres nmap and some stupid system monitor but thats about it
>>
>>57233763
Yes, you inbred dumbfuck. macOS shits on shitnux for desktop usage

holy shit
>>
>>57234465
lol, okay

name one shitnux package of note that you can't find on brew then

kek
>>
>>57233763
yes. linux is a waste of time and one way to make your macbook run worse
>>
>Is it retarded to install Linux on a Macbook Pro?

Always, Apple knows how to utilize their own hardware better than any Linux dev team can.
>>
>>57234468
>>57234583
>>57234602
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=osx10_ubuntu1410&num=5

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=osx-capitan-fedora23&num=3
>>
>>57233763
I dual boot with Ubuntu on my mbp and pretty much only boot macOS for Photoshop/Logic or when I need long battery life.

The touchpad drivers are a little worse but I don't really need a touchpad because I'm a sperg who likes tiling wms.

>>57234256

More customisable, package manager that doesn't suck ass, better cli tools out of the box.
>>
Linux belongs in a VM.
>>
Since Macs are so proprietary Linux is pretty shit on them
>>
>>57233763
>Is it retarded to install Linux on a Macbook Pro?
Yes.
>>
>>57235381
>More customisable
Not really, no.
>package manager that doesn't suck ass
What's wrong with .app and pkgsrc?
>better cli tools out of the box.
Such as?
>>
>>57235385
it actually only run properly in vm on my laptop. I tried installing multiple distros and they all slow as fuck
>>
>>57234602
>>57234733

shrekt
>>
>>57234733
BTFO
>>
>>57235849
well i have to add to those bechmarks that they are old and dont really give out the user experience ,just some specific tasks, but yeah apple was always a joke when it came to optimizing their shitty few instances of hardware.
>>
>>57235528
Actually, Linux is shit on them because Linux is just shit, period.
>>
>>57236034
>>57235528
>>57234602
>>57234583
>>57234427
>>57234256
>>57234119
all those apple fans living in denial that their OS is somehow better optimized than windows or even linux. I mean you could just say that OSX has better software or nicer interface or has fucktonnes of cool (in your opinion) emoji or something that makes sense and not this bullshit.
>>
>>57236034
>mactards
>able to use linux
lmao
>>
>>57237096
Funny thing is, your average Linux user could run circles around most Macfags, using Mc OS. Most Macfags use their machines like mobile devices.
>>
>>57234119

>Mac OS is "made for" a wide array of generic OTS Intel CPU's and NVIDIA GPU's
>>
>>57233763
I know girl graphical designer who does that.

She still uses MacOS for everything, she only uses linux to make gnome themes and icons
>>
>>57233763
Nah, my arch install boots way faster on my RMP, probably because it isn't re-opening 50 apps I'd already closed when I shut it down. Don't trust retards who tell you it'll run slow, their understanding of hardware is fundamentally flawed and they think Apple has some sort of special configuration when in reality its literally like any other laptop. Use your kernel specific broadcom-wl driver to get WiFi working.
>>
>>57234733

>lol lets just crank up the power, see we're better!!

You're a fucking moron. Where's the mention of battery life? For some outsiders to make Macs better, they'd need to have the same battery life at least on top of high benchmarks. This means absolutely nothing. I could deplete my battery in 3 hours and get high benchmarks and high performance with shit battery life. All they've done is crank a dial Apple decided to leave halfway to favor battery life.

Only a freetard can be so fucking dumb, naive and delusional to think that anyone can optimize Apple's own hardware better than them after their decades of working on their own shit. Kill yourself or go back to /v/.
>>
>>57233763
Linux will be much faster since it won't be underclocking your CPU to compensate for the trash battery (at the expense of the fact that battery performance will better reflect its trash quality)
>>
>>57233763

On a VM maybe, but as the primary OS, why bother other than to tinker?
>>
>>57233763
>Is it retarded to install Linux
Yes.
>>
>>57237096
>>mactards
>>able to use linux
>lmao
Only 2% or so of people can use Linux, and I suspect that's by design. It's not an OS, it's a lifestyle.
ROTFLMAO
>>
>>57237527
>Funny thing is, your average Linux user could run circles around most Macfags, using Mc OS.
In Terminal, you mean?
You guys should come out into the daylight. There's girls and all sorts of stuff you've never seen.
>>
>>57237527
>Most Macfags use their machines like mobile devices.
How many Macfags ever get into your Mom's basement? How would you ever know what Macfags do if you've never seen one IRL?
>>
Yes OP, it is retarded. If you want free software to use in the CLI shell use pkgsrc. Joyent has prebuilt binaries for MacOS.
>>
I'd personally use Mac OS over Linux on a Mac computer.
>>
File: 1477429959561.png (162KB, 1190x595px) Image search: [Google]
1477429959561.png
162KB, 1190x595px
>>57239325
hahaha low IQ wintoddler is pretty mad.

Winpajeet is non existant and that's a fact
>>
>>57235573
Not the original poster but,
> Not really, no.
Are you retarded? OSX is one of the least customizable OS I've seen followed by iOS. For Linux you can literally alter anything depending on the DE.
> Such as?
Anything that requires installing the WHOLE XCode CLI Tools. It's completely bullshit.
>>
>>57240728
You can do whatever you want on OS X and the XCode CLI tool set is like 5MB.
>>
>>57233763
>OSX feel smooth
Bullshit.
>>
>>57234602
Yeah, that's why they're still using an outdated piece of shit version of OpenGL and why Windows 10 runs better on the same Mac as OS X does.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2408798/windows-10-runs-faster-than-os-x-on-apples-12in-macbook
>>
>>57240985
>The inquirer
>MacBook
Right, you're dumb. They ditched OpenGL for Metal in OS X 10.10.
>>
>>57233763
Dual boot it, maybe mac os for school just for compatibility reasons and linux for general use. It's your computer do whatever you want. You like mac os use it then, it's very pretty. Curious how your dad got it cheap.
>>
>>57233763
>got one really cheap

This whole thread is probably bullshit but this part is my favorite. I've seen people do this before. People are scared to admit they spent money on stuff they make up some excuse about how they came to acquire something just so theres no ridiculous backlash and the topic doesn't get derailed from the point they want to make or the question they want to ask.

There are plenty of people out here who actually have jobs and can afford expensive computers. And it doesn't matter how they got their money or what they plan to do with their computer. It's their money and their stuff and they don't need to justify anything to anyone.
>>
>>57241438
This. Use what works for you and don't worry about what the autists on /g/ think.
>>
I bought a 13" 2012 MBP and put Xubuntu on it and it's fucking sweet. For some reason though I get pretty bad screen tearing while watching videos with any WM or DE other than GNOME, which is weird. macOS fucking sucks, btw.
>>
>>57237076
>>57237527
>>57237096

>Not shitposting in a true Unix environment

So basically what you're saying is that you're poor and that upsets you?
>>
>>57242418
>MS office
>>
>>57242490

It's demonstrably superior to any other office suite.
>>
>>57242499
sorry, but Pages wins.
>>
>>57233763
Its retarded to own a macbookpro
>>
Retarded cause *buntu
>>
>>57233763
no, use it as you will.
and YES as mac book pro can have virtual machine running super smooth, so if you need linux just fire up any distro you want.

Thats what I do at work, since its against the rules to use anything but mac books, and to install stuff over it.

However, OS X feels so smooth really, if you are stuck with normie type of shit you won't need linux even.
>>
>>57237096
>>57237096
This pretty much sums up /g/s hatred of Macs. 90% of devs I know use Macs including myself who has been using Linux for 15 years.

You are not a special genius because you can use Linux.
>>
linux sucks with hidpi screens and can't handle the GOAT mac trackpack for shit

why do you faggots use linux for anything but development or servers or calculations, jesus christ.
>>
I run Mint on my 2010 MBP and it works great. I don't know what the rest of the thread is complaining about.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.