[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What can you do with Linux that you can't do with Windows?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 12

File: 1474614740669.png (194KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1474614740669.png
194KB, 500x500px
What can you do with Linux that you can't do with Windows?
>>
Look cool on /g/
>>
File: IMG_0149.jpg (95KB, 648x799px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0149.jpg
95KB, 648x799px
Have privacy
Encrypt shit with LUKS
Use ext4
Neat package managers
Be fast
>>
>>57233270
cd code
cd
cd
cd
cd
>>
>>57233270
shitpost on /g/
>>
>>57233285
>Be fast
kill yourself
>>
>>57233270
Compiling android.
>>
>>57233471
But i can be up and running at a TTY in 5 seconds...
>>
in baby linux (ubuntu on desktop mint on my laptop) you can open software manager, close your eyes, click, and get free software without having to worry about accidentally clicking "i accept" and getting spyware or changing your default search engine

you can also change settings without having to restart

>>57233276
but mainly this
>>
>>57233289
you can kode with klossy
>>
>>57233270
Rice the shit out of it, post in desktop threads, and get internet points.
>>
>>57233503
i heard debian based OS are very slow with nvidia
>>
update the system when I want to.
>>
Have a command line that's actually usable
>>
>>57233543
What are the best commands to rice the shit out of my desktop senpai? :^)
>>
>>57233270
Connect to your server machine with only your file browser
>>
>>57233519

yeah i dont know firsthand but i see lots of q's on ubuntu forums regarding nvidia driver issues

most people who go out and get fancy graphics cards are probably into games and linux is obv not the right choice for that
>>
>>57233270
Have privacy and update system that isn't shit.
And no registry is also a plus.
>>
>>57233270
I like being able to update all of my applications to the latest version in one command.

And despite the fact that it's handling my whole system and not just the OS, apt is still roughly 1,000 times faster than windows update.

Plus the fact that if Debian shits the bed too hard I can jump to another distro without too much disruption, while Microsoft is single-supplier only.

Maybe if I learned powershell my view would change, but it seems much easier to cobble together cross-concern problem solving tasks on linux.

They've tried, but windows still feels like a black box that works well when the designers thought of what I wanted to do, while with linux there's always a way to make it do what I want.

Also it doesn't cost anything.
>>
>>57233270
surf the internets without worry about hazards
>>
>>57233270
Overheatin your laptop
>>
>>57233540
Fairly recent, but a gud one, tee hee.
>>
>>57233671
My loadavg is about 0.00 on my netbook. Also, I can freely undervolt and laptop_mode as well as being able to completely work without a disk drive.

But Windows manages way better. Active Directory is fine stuff.
>>
>>57233604
DELET THIS!
>>
>>57233270
run servers on a headless toaster
not be extremely paranoid about updates
move/resize windows with alt+drag (seriously, this is my biggest annoyance with using windows on work computers, i found some "freeware" hack that adds this functionality but it lags sometimes and is generally quirky)
manage windows efficiently
simultaneously run multiple DEs/WMs in separate instances of X
mount disc images without the need for third-party proprietary tools
configure every aspect of my system using flat text files and shell scripts
tell my system what i want it to do instead of having my system tell me what i can do
comfortably use a graphical environment without a mouse
idk i could probably think of a few others
>>
File: love-powershell.png (78KB, 1200x520px) Image search: [Google]
love-powershell.png
78KB, 1200x520px
>>57233648
>>
File: active-hours-configuration.jpg (64KB, 858x740px) Image search: [Google]
active-hours-configuration.jpg
64KB, 858x740px
Not be put on a time schedule for your own fucking pc. Seriously, how can anyone justify this shit? If your PC is your gf, then Windows is the her bull.
>>
>>57233270
Produce a shitpost about your failed install and bath in the countless (You)s. Works every time.
>>
>>57233270
run any important research code written in the last two decades
>>
>>57234022
>start time 6AM
> end time 5AM

Not a win 10 user but that's what I would try to do.
>>
>>57234022
>I don't know how to use gpedit
Just like linux, all the good configurable bits are tucked away in a different screen.
Don't be a retard.
>>
>>57234003
Is it that horrible? At work I do some stuff in wsh and it's kind of not bad (compared to windows macro recorder anyway). I was hoping powershell would close the gap when I got into it.
>>
Leave my computer on for more than a week.

W10 restarts will turn my hair grey, I just know it.
>>
>>57234003
>>57234094
Powershell used to be a fucking abomination, but 4.0 is absurdly powerful in a windows environment.
It's still ugly as hell though.
>>
>>57234022
Microsoft is this promiscuous pixie girl fucking chads left and right who has you friendzoned and constantly sets you on blind dates with uggos.

Linux is this kind of cute nerd chick who has crush on you, but ultimately you're not interested.
>>
>>57233519
>>57233586
how is this even possible though? is it because debian/ubuntu uses some heavily patched kernel that doesn't play nice with nvidia's driver? or does it use some retarded driver package? i've had nvidia cards for years and never had any issue with their official driver, which i always installed and updated myself, recompiling every time i had a kernel upgrade. how can a video driver to work differently on debian or ubuntu that it does on slackware or gentoo? all the software comes from upstream anyway, right? they all use the same linux kernel, right?

>>57234094
no idea. i looked at powershell for about 20 minutes once but then i just stopped using windows entirely so it made no sense to bother learning. i have heard a lot of terrible things about it though
>>
>>57234120
>>57234111
psh feels insanely kludgy like something designed 50 years ago. Convoluted gibberish, somewhere between COBOL and DCL.

But indeed, at least it's finally vaguely possible to script windows.

The innovation of unix is not that it's particularly good, but because it is simple to use (if we disregard GUIs for the moment). Non-GUI windows is the exact opposite of simple.
>>
>>57234239
Powershells main advantage comes from being able to do any administrative or system-level task directly, provided you have the right credentials.
It also lets you use any .NET framework package.
Which is why I used it for deploying new VMs, restoring states, setting up test machines, triggering test suites through TFS, monitoring their state, taking in the failed results and printing the exact error failures along with a screenshot, packaging it up into a nice HTML file and distributing it out through email
In about a 50 line script

The main disadvantage is that writing powershell is like writing Perl with the verbosity of enterprise Java.
It is seriously atrocious to actually have to write in. But once you have shit works like butter
>>
Use a decent FS
Use a non-x86 architecture
Change WMs
Package managers
Compile your kernel
Native SSH
>>
>>57234291
>writing Perl with the verbosity of enterprise Java
as a Perl hacker, I am unbearably horrified by this image
>>
>>57234291
>Perl and java

This is unfair to both, though.

Java verbosity has clear reason (large scale), and perl's hairyness has internal logic - you can get a grasp of it after a while like learning foreign language. That is, it indeed feels like human language after a while. With all quirks in place for the sake of convenient shortcuts. Perl and Java is more like vim vs emacs.

PSH is far more horrible, I think it's humanly impossible to use it to implement something vaguely resembling an algorithm, only good for basic system automation tasks you mentioned.

It's so typically microsoft thing - bazillion features for every corner case, with ton of bugs, misleading documentation and all of it designed ass backwards by some MBA who just extended his idea of programming VBA macros in excel for sysadmin work.
>>
>>57234436
>MBA who just extended his idea of programming VBA macros in excel for sysadmin work.
Probably the best description I've heard.
I poked around for some generic psh scripts as an example, and here's one that checks your exchange inbox.
Lovely, isn't it

[Reflection.Assembly]::LoadFile("C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange\Web Services\1.1\Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.dll") | Out-Null
$s = New-Object Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ExchangeService([Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ExchangeVersion]::Exchange2007_SP1)
$s.Credentials = New-Object Net.NetworkCredential('email@domain', 'password')
$s.Url = new-object Uri("https://red001.mail.microsoftonline.com/ews/exchange.asmx")

$inbox = [Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.Folder]::Bind($s,[Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.WellKnownFolderName]::Inbox)
$mails = $inbox.FindItems(5)
$mails | % {$_.Load()}
$mails
>>
>>57233270
>What can you do with Linux that you can't do with Windows?
Complete control over my computer.
>>
>>57234088
>I have to edit config files just so I don't get cucked by my OS

At least in Linux, you're doing it because something isn't functioning as it's supposed to. In Windows, getting cucked is a FEATURE.
>>
>>57233270
Start my laptop in under a minute
>>
File: linux.jpg (37KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
linux.jpg
37KB, 852x480px
>>57234116
Linux is more like a fixer upper who looks like a bombshell after a little makeover
>>
>>57234482
>You have to configure things in both operating systems
>Y-YEAH BUT M-MY OS IS DOING IT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO! N-NOT BECAUSE IT DOES SOMETHING B-BY DEFAULT!
Keep rationalizing, buckaroo
>>
>>57234532
>Keep rationalizing, buckaroo
Why're you talking to yourself?
>>
Have fun doing computing.
>>
>>57234532
It's true. Windows cucks you by design but maybe you're too stupid to understand the distinction. You probably think giving another guy a handjob is the same thing as fapping.
>>
>>57234566
>Windows has automatic updates by design
Yes, it does, seeing as it has over 90% of the market share and these things have to be enabled by default, otherwise John Doe wouldn't turn it on and wouldn't get any updates ever.
Are you retarded?

>>57234541
You're literally bragging that your operating system doesn't work and that's why it's better that you're configuring it, rather than an operating system that does work but does something you don't like and configuring it for that reason.
You are a moron.
>>
>>57234603
>You're literally bragging
I literally haven't bragged about anything, dumbass.
>>
>>57234470
Oh yeah, let's not forget about .net reflection where you have to trial-error minmax decipher proper use, because documentation exist only for usage from C#, with no mentions of calling protocol quirks from psh.

Still, I use psh for simple gui forms (which do sysadmin automation), as I despise doing that from .net even more.
>>
>>57234603
>using an OS that is designed for actual retards
>>
File: 1342417330043.png (77KB, 687x688px) Image search: [Google]
1342417330043.png
77KB, 687x688px
Symm links are pretty cool. I use it to share files and settings easily between windows.
>>
>>57234662
windows supports symlinks
>>
>>57234524
True enough. Still, after you put lipstick on the ugly duckling, the duck still has affinity to revert to her old ways over time. That wasted effort feel.
>>
>>57234675
Windows update does not. To be fair, some linux distros do neither (most famously arch).
>>
>>57234750
huh?
>>
>>57233270
Open selected file with spacebar key. Open next folder in new tab instead of opening new file manager. Safe image with 1 instead of 3 presses of enter. Opening more than 3 programs because linux have vitual desktops. Not waiting 10 seconds after plugging in mouse.
>>
>>57234773
>Not waiting 10 seconds after plugging in mouse.
still amazed me how slow windows is at setting up new hardware
>>
>>57234761
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/fatal-error-c00000d4-applying-update-operation-872/3f5fe180-37be-4b7c-9d1d-99172188bcf1

tl;dr: You can't symlink *any* part of windows somewhere else. The moment you do, prepare your angus.

Linux has no problems being spread over multiple disk volumes, because it has no hard dependency on hardlinks.
>>
>>57234773
I used to use virtual desktops in Windows 7
>>
>>57234822
instead of "do neither", i think you meant to write "don't either"
they mean different things

also, what are you referring to with arch?
>>
>>57234855
I think it was symlinked /usr to somewhere else which rendered the system unbootable after pacman -Syu. #justarchthings their zero QA is world-renowned.

Basically I don't trust arch it can cope with symlinks for system files. Gentoo and debian can deal with far more custom system setups, meaning beyond pasting from wiki.
>>
>>57234470
Jesus Christ. I was considering training for Windows sysadmin stuff because there are more jobs around here for that than Unix-like stuff but now I will stay far, far away...
>>
Compile C++ without having to install 9 gb of literally the most pajeet software ever.
>>
>>57233270
>What can you do with Linux that you can't do with Windows
Why does a faggoty weab poster need to know?
>>
>>57233648
When I installed Gentoo and learned about how filesystems were mounted I began to see how powerful some Unix design was.

If for some reason my installation shits itself I can remount my /home dir and I am good to go immediately. Combine that with a script to move dotfiles and other configs (legible compared to powershell) and I have a full replacement system with no hassle.

Plus I don't need to try to find my old serial key from Windows XP and hope it works :^)
>>
>>57233270
*GNU\Linux, not simply Linux. It's like saying "What can you do with NT?" when you are talking about Windows. Stop referring to it by the name of its kernel.
>>
>>57233543
I believed this until I tried to set up a shitty win2k box for development, with *nix aliases for DOS-isms, vim, GNU utilities and vcpp it wasn't very bad at all, even has tab completion, though not as good as bash.
>>
>>57234822
I remember there having been a bunch of symlink bugs, for example in systemd. The difference is, as I see it, that with Windows you get easily searchable error code and message instead of having critical system services just silently failing.
>>
>>57234981
It's fine - do linux for pleasure and fun, dayjob of microsoft things feels like a "job" - by being superfluously complex/retarded.

If you're coming from system programming backgrounds, you'll get headstart compared to other winfags at this gig, as they consider windows internal holy and sacred and something not to be toyed with (yet it's sometimes the only way to get shit done).

Troubleshooting windows is possible with the unix approach, just think of it as really, really arcane unix system with no documentation.
>>
>>57235157
I dare you to take a look at cbs.log to troubleshoot WU when it enters a boot loop.

Windows event log is of two kinds - some common error it logs ok, same as syslog. And then the horrible bugs which completely break shit, including meaningful logging. WU has basically no concept of sensible logging, it just wreaks havoc.
>>
>>57233276
This pretty much
>>
>>57233486
> tty
So compare a Server Core install to that.
It can also boot in that much.
Btw my Windows 10 full boots in 6-7 seconds.

> Encrypt shit with LUKS
VeraCrypt, Bitlocker, also LUKS on Bash for Windows.

> ext4
Ugh.... if you said ZFS, OK.
But fucking ext4? Just go away Ted!

>>57233289
kek
>>
>>57234822
Fuck me if you symlink parts of your core system on Linux, you are doing something horribly wrong already.... jesus fuck...
>>
>>57236227
>luks on bash for windows
>installing luks on an os with no driver for cryptsetup
>>
>>57235077
>GNU\Linux
triggered
>>
>>57233270
-Package manager that updates the whole system along with installed softwares.
-Rank update mirrors according to speed.
-Multiple shells (bash/ksh/csh etc.) - install/uninstall any of them
-Support for different filesystem ootb and natively
-Customizable init system to manipulate the system modules as you want
-Specify kernel modules and boot parameters
-Change/chose/replace AND uninstall DE and file managers, can uninstall any file manager and internet browser
-Kernel herdening
-Swap encryption
-KVM/QEMU to directly pass through hardware to virtual machines
-Can create files such as AUX, PRN, NUL, CON etc.
-Can run without X windows system
-Native SSH, SFTP and SSHFS
-Fonts are completely customizable
Lastly,
FREE and Open Source. You don't have to steal or patch license for running an operating system.

Result:
Windows is probably the most unsuccessful operating system.
>>
easily install any nonproprietary program easily
reach 0% CPU usage while browsing 4chan
Drive my computer entirely with a mouse
easily cron/script downloads and keybinds
>>
>>57236558
>Windows is probably the most unsuccessful operating system.

Yeah, with its 90% market share spanning two decades. Notice how most of those features exist because they are useful for running and maintaining servers and embedded devices, by the way, and do absolutely nothing for the casual end user.
>>
File: 1475718160322.png (3MB, 1440x3627px) Image search: [Google]
1475718160322.png
3MB, 1440x3627px
Windows is an OS for submissive cucks that have no voice or control over their own computers
>>
File: 1477430548747screensave.png (127KB, 657x594px) Image search: [Google]
1477430548747screensave.png
127KB, 657x594px
>>57236636
>90% market share
On desktops? Not any longer (thanks to windows 10). However on every single other markets windows is non existent. Desktops attract computer illiterate people - meaning they would eat any crap you feed them if it's pre installed.

>Casual user
This is a tech board, not really meant for ""casual users""
>>
You can set something with ease.
And then duplicate it to more machines.
I once had my laptop break, I just removed the screw to the ssd and moved it to a new one and kept on working. I didn't have to jump through hoops to get it activated or anything like that. The only issue was the keyboard layout was a bit different so I had to edit my xmodmap config.
>>
>>57233270
Native bash, ssh, scp, functional multi-user permissions instead of the fucked up user/administrator/system shit that Windows does, better file system, package manager makes installing software easier and safer, much more customization options if you have the time and the autism, it's typically much more stable if you stay away from bleeding edge software, drivers for most hardware will be installed ootb, with only certain wireless adapters, amd/nvidia gpus, and some niche peripherals needing drivers to function correctly.
>>
>>57236227
>Windows 10 "full" boots in 6-7 seconds
No it doesn't. It didn't power off completely (or you're using an SSD and disabled mobo info screen). That's like me saying Ubuntu boots in 2 seconds if you suspend it instead of powering it off, thus being superior.
>>
>>57236704
Sorry, 89.99% marketshare. I'm sure the year of the Linux desktop is only months away. And yeah, "every single other market" being SERVERS. Because it's literally the only decent customizable OS out there fit for that purpose. Or platforms such as Android where funnily enough almost none of the things you've mentioned apply, or "embedded" devices where it's chosen out of laziness because they can't be bothered to write something from scratch so adapting the only broadly supported and customizable community project out there is the more sensible option.

I'm not saying Linux is bad or that the kernel/architecture itself isn't better than Windows in several ways, I'm saying those ways don't make it more popular or "successful". It's also fucking far from being perfect, even if it's better than Windows in some technical aspects.
>>
>>57233270
Change the GUI without resorting to third party programs.
>>
>>57236704
They're literally forcing Windows 10 on every pre-built desktop computer. They will probably never drop below 80%. Especially when half their customers haven't even heard of Linux.
>>
>>57234649
He's not using loonix
>>
>>57236832
To be fair, booting Windows and Ubuntu takes roughly the same amount of time, and both are negligible on an SSD. Windows 7 takes around 6 seconds to boot to a login prompt on my SSD, I honestly don't care about making it any faster. Linux can be stripped down to a bare tty with every check and unnecessary driver disabled so it boots slightly faster in 2-3 seconds, but why bother on a desktop machine.
>>
>>57236978
That's windows 7. Windows 10 without fast boot on an HDD or even an SSD is annoyingly long in comparison.
>>
>>57236833
>89.99% marketshare
It's 89.76%.
> "every single other market" being SERVERS.
Wrong. This is where the "windows is for tech illiterates" rumor(!) comes from look at >>57236558 carefully.

Desktops and servers aren't the only devices that run operating systems. Supercomputers, consoles, embedded devices run OSes as well.

And no, it's not chosen on embedded devices from laziness.

Some people prefer their embedded system to run properly via remote connection without telemetry reports and forced updates/reboots.

Windows does not exist anywhere else from the dying market of desktop PCs
>>
>>57237042
Yes, very impressive Wikipedia chart. If you actually bothered to read it yourself instead putting an X next to everything that isn't Windows, you would've noticed that "Linux" that isn't Android only holds a significant lead in one category, supercomputers. Which I seriously hope you're not going to try and pass off as a Reddit tier "omg it runs on SUPER computers so it must be the most SUPER OS" argument. Ignoring Android once again, the only platforms where it actually holds a relevant marketshare (ie, money is involved) are desktops (2-3%), consoles (lol 0%) and servers. In which case it's once again used because it's the only thing out there (and BSD/*nix/other variants).

The one thing I'm actually surprised by is that 60% of the server marketshare is actually held by BSD and Windows. I expected them to be lower.

>people prefer their embedded system to run properly via remote connection without telemetry reports and forced updates/reboots

Which is why they run the only other option out there that supports the hardware. I wonder what that could be. Or, if they're actually competent, they write their own shit. See the "in-house" and "other" categories. Windows doesn't have a customizable kernel you can compile with a gorillion options and a custom init system that runs in 48K RAM, no fucking shit. It wasn't MADE for that. Even Windows Server and the IoT edition are just extensions of the desktop platform made primarily to complement and interface with that.

>an OS made for desktop PCs doesn't exist anywhere other than desktop PCs

More shocking news at 11. Although they had a shot at making it a decent mobile OS too, they just fucked it up.

Also to be clear I fucking hate Windows and Microsoft and I like most things about Linux, but you're still an idiot. You are precisely the kind of deluded YOTLD idiot who would argue that people should stop using Photoshop because you "don't need those features" and insist on calling it "GNU/Linux".
>>
>>57237274
> 48K RAM
> Linux

Does it really do that?
I believe Linus made his first versions with more RAM.
>>
>>57237356
Wow, yeah, I was way optimistic. uClinux needs a minimum of 4MB, but they recommend at least 16. Anything lower than that is pushing it, you're probably looking at something custom.
>>
>>57237274
What? YOU were the one who claimed windows has the 90% market share and I just showed you windows is prettty much beaten in every single other markets. (Supercomputers 0%. Wearable computers <2% lmfao). You are probably one of those retards that would say "OMG desktop market is the only thing I can think of), which was, primarily your approach.

>60% of the server marketshare is actually held by BSD and Windows.
Now this is strawman. Unix and Windows COMBINED would give you 60% of the servers, while Linux is 40%; which means Linux is probably more used in servers than Windows and Unix seperately.

> Windows doesn't have a customizable kernel you can compile with a gorillion options and a custom init system that runs in 48K RAM, no fucking shit. It wasn't MADE for that. Even Windows Server and the IoT edition are just extensions of the desktop platform made primarily to complement and interface with that.
Yeah, add that to >>57236558

>an OS made for desktop PCs doesn't exist anywhere other than desktop PCs
Hehehe
>Windows server
>Windows IoT
>Windows Phone
>>
>>57237449
I'm done trying to argue with you, sorry. You win.
>>
>>57237468
You were arguing? All I see is butthurt shitpost
>hurr durr windows is 90%
>hurr durr windows and unix has 60% share
>hurr durr okay but windows is a desktop OS; Iot, servers and phone do not exist
>>
>>57233471
I tried, but I'm just too damn fast
>>
>>57233270
Programming in C without wanting to kill yourself
>>
File: archwisdom.png (14KB, 245x361px) Image search: [Google]
archwisdom.png
14KB, 245x361px
>>57236285
Typical arch pro response.

"You are not supposed to run archteam unapproved system customizations, because we know what we're doing and you dont."

Sheesh. As for why symlinks and not bind mounts - symlinks work always, bind is problematic with early boot.
>>
>>57233270
Keep your sanity.
>>
>>57238021
this
>>
>>57233965
>manage windows efficiently
Are you talking about home use or managing a production environment?
>mount disc images without the need for third-party proprietary tools
All new windows can do this iirc

>simultaneously run multiple DEs/WMs in separate instances of X
What do you mean by this? Like them running at the same time on a powered machine, or being able to dual-boot?
>>
File: 1477169762774.gif (1MB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
1477169762774.gif
1MB, 260x260px
>>57238125
>Keep your sanity.
>>
>Mature virtual desktop implementation, not a cheap Gnome Shell knockoff.
>Package managers, all of my software is kep updated automatically.
>Built in bash.
>God-tier font rendering (Ubuntu), Windows will never compete, and I don't care about abandonware like MacType.
>Basic features like setting a window on top.
>Unfocused scrolling (Windows implemented this after +10 years)
>Build in C/C++ compiler and tools, I don't need to download a 15GB Pajeetware to compile helloworld.c.
>it just werks with my hardware/peripherals(Moto X 2013 for example), I wish I could say the same about Windows.
>>
>>57238322
>manage windows efficiently
likely talking about a tiling window manager

>all new windows can do this iirc
And how many years is this after *nix systems could do it?

>What do you mean by this
He might mean running different tty's. As in, hit ctrl+alt+f1 and you're in GNOME, hit ctrl+alt+f2 and you get XFCE, ctrl+alt+f3 gives you KDE, etc. I'm not really sure why you'd do this, but I think it's possible.
>>
>>57238095
>Typical arch pro response
>typical fix for the recent NetCDF bug within the Arch community was to symlink the library

Kek, I just downgraded the package because that was a more responsible and less hacky solution.
>>
>>57233270

Privacy - Windows is literally botnetted.

Fatter wallet - I am not nickel-and-dimed just to have a functional computer. I have an office suite, CAD, scientific software, and an entire development platform, for free. To top it off, I only play games that focus on game play instead of graphics, and there is a mountain of these in the repos.

I get all this stuff, plus a system that I can bend to my own will instead of having to conform to what some company has decided.

So yeah, It's Linux or BSD for me. You can keep your spyware-ridden lowest-common-denominator rinky-dink crippled-as-fuck OS.
>>
>>57233270
Nearly everything.

Why? Because I don't fucking understand how Windows works. I haven't found any decent documentation or consistency in that OS, and some "features" will never be released to the public, simply because Microsoft accidentally violated antitrust law and doesn't want to get sued again. With Linux I can read the source code of every utility included, if it comes down to it. Linux is a great OS if *you* want to use your computer. Windows is in all aspects better if you want Bill Gates to be the admin of your computer, and his cock to be deep in your ass everytime you sit down for a game of solitaire.
>>
>>57233270
Using virtualenvs and git without wanting to rip your hair.
That being said, I dual boot W10 and Debian.
Thread posts: 113
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.