[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

soon I will be in china from an internet users point of view

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: index.jpg (10KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
10KB, 275x183px
soon I will be in china
from an internet users point of view this presents enormous issues

A. how to bypass the GFC
VPN's are widely used, but are becoming less effective by the day
not having facebook etc might be a real downer, but on a serious note having access to unfiltered news could be important to avoiding regional unrest

B. how to secure my data in-country from state and non-state hackers
its not like I have anything worth stealing, but my data is linked to everyone elses.

C. how to get by day to day when the programs I normally use arn't functional
china throttles the shit out of a lot of sites like google maps, sites that as a traveler I NEED
local alternatives exist no doubt, but I would have concerns about the security of my data

D. using phones with chinese networks
apparently phones arn't SIM locked, or network locked
but the plans or credit is apparently region locked or something? I'm not sure

anyone have experience here?
>>
>inb4 evil china, RIP anon etc etc
>>
File: 1357342657104.png (220KB, 341x500px) Image search: [Google]
1357342657104.png
220KB, 341x500px
>facebook
>>
>>57231727
you could buy a bigger SD card for your phone and download what you need from google maps beforehand
>>
>>57232101
Okay where does that go in my iphone
>>
File: laughing_dolphin.jpg (13KB, 236x199px) Image search: [Google]
laughing_dolphin.jpg
13KB, 236x199px
>>57232115
>iPhone
>>
I saw year ago article from some security reschearch that travels alot, he had crushed mentos under screws in his notebook to be sure that nobody was trying to modify his notebook (ie. hardware malware) while on airport control on in hotel room
>>
File: 1448688481441.jpg (33KB, 462x456px) Image search: [Google]
1448688481441.jpg
33KB, 462x456px
>>57232115
>>
>>57231727
> goes to china
> cries for assbook

You deserve to die in chink prison, raped until slant eyed, faggot!
>>
>>57232126
>>57232154
Guys seriously idk where it goes. There's not a place for it in the sim slot
>>
>>57232179
How can you be so illiterate?
>>
>>57232101
OP here, ignore >>57232115

I intend to download key information (maps, prces etc), this won't get me very far but it's better than nothing

>>57232144
will totally do, if it sounds stupid but it works...

>>57232194
DNFT
>>
Great firewall uses deep packet inspection. You'll need a service like torguard to bypass dpi. Regular VPN services won't work.

Your data is safe and won't be stolen unless you install malware. Despite how spooky the west might portray the Chinese they can't defy physics and steal your data from thin air

Google maps doesn't work in China, for the parts that work it won't be accurate, there will be highways where rivers are and other common mistakes. You'll need to use Baidu maps. It has street view and pretty much 90% satellite view coverage. Basically as much coverage Google maps have in the US.

Roaming will work between close districts. Your biggest problem will be buying a sim card because they require an ID now. You'll need to go to a tiny shop and pay extra for a black market sim with a pre-registered id. 1gb cost roughly 10usd.
>>
>>57232210
thanks f for the info

I'm most concerned about my internet being spied on when using chinese wifi at hotels or airports, also MITM

this may should like a foolish question, but why can I not just use my passport as ID and buy a normal sim card?
would that be inadvisable?

I don't need to hide anything I'm doing, I just want to use the services I'm used to and not have my shit fucked with
>>
>>57232256
get a VPN. It'll solve all your security concerns.

Only SOME shops in airports accepts passports, and they rape you in pricing. Corporate local stores requires a chinese ID.
>>
>>57231727
A. Set up a server at home with SSH and tunneling enabled. If you have a dynamic IP that changes regularly look into dynamic DNS services.

B. Use 4096-bit keys for said SSH server and disable password authentication. Use a passphrase on your key. Make sure you never connect to the internet directly.

C. The sites you want to use will work properly once you're connected through the SSH tunnel.

D. The plans are prepaid, you pay in advance for a certain amount of data.

t. went to China last year
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.