[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

VPS / server rent, ask away?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 8

File: Hetzner-racks.jpg (563KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Hetzner-racks.jpg
563KB, 600x400px
So I have been renting servers for years. 10+.

VPS providers I used:
DigitalOcean; Linode; Ramnode; Vultr; OVH; "Flosoft" (lol)

Dedicated rental providers I used:
Kimsufi, SoYouStart, OVH, Hetzner, Online.net.

Cont...
>>
> Why rent a dedicated server?
It's powerful and cheap.
15-20$ can get you a few terabytes hard drive, 8-16gigs of ram, a powerful CPU, and it's yours, dedicated.

> What if the hard drive fails?
They replace it. They have to wipe it, so don't worry about that part.
But, you have to backup. Duh. You always have to backup, so, no comment on this one.
If you can tolerate a few hours downtime (who couldn't), one drive is enough.
If you don't want to bother with restoring, and you need fast restore, get a two drive machine.

> How does this work, why they are so cheap?
They hook up older office/desktop machines, and rent those out.
Used servers are also rented out the same way.

Kimsufi: Desktop machines mostly.
SYS: Desktop machines, older servers.
OVH: New servers, but OVH is costly.
Hetzner: Desktop-older servers, all mixed.
Online.net: Newer servers. Stronger, weaker, all kind.
>>
If you just want to fuck around with your very own server i can recommend http://cloudatcost.com/ .

You will get a *lifetime* worth of vps,i have my servers there for like 3 years now. They seem to be backed by a bigger network infrastructure provider (Fibernetics).

Disk IO is quite slow (1-5 MB/s) and Network IO is around 3.5mb but you still can have some fun because all plans are unmetered and you will get a *real* v4 address.

You can get 50% off each plan with 4yvYWahYzu right now
>>
> Can I install Windows
Yes, there are prepared images, but you can make one yourself. dd it to the machine in rescue, reboot, poof.

> Can I torrent/warez
Not really. Some people do, but it's got your name and all that on the server, so just rent a seedbox or a proxy.

> Speed
Kimsufi: 100mbps
SYS: 250mbps (but often 1gbps)
OVH: 1gbps
Online.net/Hetzner: 1gbps

>>57230979
I think you are in the wrong thread.
Such poor man's VPS can't really do anything.
And heck, DigitalOcean is 5$, there, you have an enterprise quality VPS.
>>
>>57230998
Also you can get free DO, AWS credits if you are a student. About 250-300$. That's plenty of months, and your server is SECURE, SAFE at a trusted provider.

So where
>>
>>57231005
*Where was I.
Dedicated boxes may cost a bit more, but they have HDD, power, speed all dedicated to you. It's yours.

>>57230903
So, VPS providers.
If you want cheap/ram? OVH, Linode.
If you want fast and cheap? Vultr. The fastest hands down, still affordable.
>>
>>57230998
You can torrent on a VPS you own, no problem. Don't rent a damn VPS with Digitalocean and expect that to go well once you start torrenting. If you want to torrent get a VPS in Romania or Russia.
Why are you only talking about the big providers anyway? They are overpriced as all fuck and you are just paying for web 3.0 flashiness.
>>
>>57230998
>DigitalOcean is 5$, there, you have an enterprise quality VPS

Not sure where the "enterprise" requirement suddenly comes from.

Of course you can do stuff with a sub-par vps - hosting your own web stuff, using it as jump box, proxying etc.

Right now the price is ~18$ not per year but as long as they will not shut down.
>>
>>57231101
Well, I pretty much covered the VPS range too. I mean, they are pretty much the same.
If you want good value, go OVH.
But the validation part is kinda tedious, you have to send them your ID and all that.

Linode gives you twice as much ram.
Vultr wins if you need raw I/O and CPU speed.
It's fucking fast.

>>57231138
Sure, these small providers are good for what?

For proxying? Well, the bandwidth is so-so, uptime is meh. Speed? Zero.
Hosting? So you have no visitors at all, why host it?
Jump box, that can do, but it's got your name, so pretty useless. Maybe like a hobo OpenVPN?

I mean okay, for fun/experimenting, they are fine.
I had a Flosoft VPS for months, it's like a one man operation, and hey, it was cheap.
But yeah, pretty unusable for anything.

Look I know, you cannot really compare them before you tried both.
So once you will rack up all that 5$ cash, do please try Vultr for example.
You will see the huge difference.
>>
>>57231416
I can post a Vultr/DigitalOcean referral if anyone wants, just don't want to be reported for spam and shit.

This is the Vultr one: https://www.vultr.com/news/Summer-Promo-Now-Earn-%2430-for-Every-Referral/
https://www.digitalocean.com/referral-program/

(I don't use either now, I rent my own machines, but I have like 80-100$ credit on both.)
>>
>>57231005
What makes DigitalOcean any safer than other providers?
As long as your shit is in a rack at a datacenter it is just as safe as it would be with DO.
Fuck, you kids are naive.
>>
>>57231416
Why not go with a provider that has a rack at a big datacenter, like OVH? Then you get OVH service without the tedious ID runaround. My uptime for large providers and smaller ones is about the same, it is 9 times out of 10 dependent on the datacenter.
>>
>>57231432
Because it's popular?
What makes Azure safe? What makes AWS safe?
Because they are fuck huge companies with cross-continent data safety and all that.

Vultr, Linode, Ramnode is not as big.
They are big, but not AS big.
Simple as that.

>>57231455
I guess that just adds to the price, which with OVH is not a small amount.
But agreed, you could do that.
Uptime wise, I never had a network outage (not once!) with even Kimsufi.
Not a second.
>>
>>57231479
I pay $4.25 a year for a VPS at OVH. No downtime yet.
I pay $4.25 a year for a VPS at Quadranet LA. No downtime yet.
You see my point?
>>
I've been using the $5-10 Digital Ocean VPS for nearly 2 years, not a single issue
>>
>>57231536
For $60 a year you better be getting some better shit than 512mb-1GB of RAM with subpar HDD space.
>>
What should I use if I just want a basic bitch server I can test run small websites on so the domain doesn't have to point to my home ip.

Using low tier vultr at the moment
>>
using vmware on my desktop to make VPS
those overselled cheap VPS cannot compete
>>
>>57231654
Securedragon.net is fast as all fuck and you should only need the 128mb OpenVZ VPS for a small website. You can choose the NJ location and be at the Choopa datacenter in Piscataway which is the Vultr datacenter.
dacentec.com sometimes has VPS available for $1 a month but now is not one of those times. I listed it if you'd like to keep checking.
If you want that cheap cheap shit you can check lowendstock.com but beware that most of these do not have dedicated IPV4 addresses. You can sort the list to look for the offers that do. IPV4 addresses make up a decent part of VPS costs so this explains the pricing.
If you want something hosted outside of the US I would go with vstoike.ru though the pricing is steeper than the others.
Good luck.
>>
I have a synology disk station at home that I use for backups and usent/plex. What are some cool things I can do with a vps that I can't do now?
>>
>>57231756
Ramnode SSD Premium costs 15$/yr.
SSD-cached? 8$/qtr, 256MB ram.

Who the hell comes up with this dragon dildo name anyway, lol.
>>
>>57231756
That looks cool. I might go the cloud at cost method so I don't have to worry about anything.

Do you know if you can purchase the cloud at cost 1tb storage and easily mount it to the server for extra space?
>>
>>57231781
Run a public website or service reliably and securily
>>
>>57231781
A VPS / rented machine has high speed internet, DDoS protection.
VPS has data safety, uptime guarantee.
Dedicated box has power, and data safety with 2>= more drives.
>>
>>57231562
Except most cheap ass VPS providers kick me out for running an online radio
>>
>>57231844
For online radio I would pick a good provider, like Vultr.
Stable bandwidth for a radio and CPU is a must.
>>
OP here:
Also guys, holy fuck, you just reminded me.
The providers I mentioned on top, the VPS ones?
They do NOT kick you off for USING THE SERVICE.

I know, cheap ones do, but these don't.
That is already one major difference.

>>57231844
Oh yeah forgot, bandwidth depends on provider.
Kimsufi is 100mbps unlimited. SYS is 250-1000mbps unlimited.
VPS providers have a limit based on plan.
Like a 40$ package would give you 3TB or so.

But fuck, for 40? Just rent a SYS server in Canada or France, whichever is closer.
>>
>>57231796
Ramnode is good too, but I'd rather go with somebody that I trust.
You have a dragon fetish I presume?
>>
>>57231898
>but I'd rather go with somebody that I trust.
You don't trust a company with thousands and thousands of customer?
But you trust DragonDildo that is ran by two guys? (It's on the About page)

I don't know what's wrong with people.
Some people just have way too much money and way not enough common sense.
>>
>>57231911
I am not shilling Ramnode, Linode or X Y Z provider, just saying that cheapo ones suck.
I know. Muh family business, but fuck off.

Anyone can rent a SYS/OVH server, click "Deploy" and get a VPS hosting up and running WITHIN AN HOUR.
> buy server
> get it in 5 minutes
> click "Proxmox", "install" on panel
> get the login in 10 minutes
> request new IP block if needed, 10 minutes
> start selling your piece of shit garbage service

OVH gives you 256 IPs with each server, and it's just 40-50 bucks.
If you are a giga ghetto jew, just build your own i7 box, throw in two drives, put it on 100mbps coloc.
>>
>>57231479

AWS and Azure contract out to a lot of smaller datacenters to fill demand. I would know, I work in a datacenter. We got AWS servers 5 feet from private individual customers. We got world of warcraft and banking servers etc.

Datacenters are ranked in Tiers by a validating outside organization. Look for that, brand names do not mean shit.
>>
>>57231844
Yeah that is why you read reviews before you buy and read the AUP. I have done some really CPU intensive things on my servers and have not even had a threat to end my service. I pay annually as well so they would not be worried about losing me since they already have pay for a year.
>>57231858
Why do you like Vultr and DO so damn much? I was an amateur once, I started on these services too. Then I realized I could get just as much if not more for less if I shopped around.
>>
>>57231929
So the cheapo ones suck, could you tell me which cheapo ones you have used?
>>
>>57231950
> Do you like ... damn much?
You can't get the same performance as Vultr anywhere.
You can't get as much as RAM and reliability as Linode anywhere.
Stop with this bullshit, please.

And yes, I mentioned several times.
For bigger servers, like 40$+, just rent your own, I say.
If you can manage it, that is.

But hey, look I am all open. (No not to the gay stuff...)
Link me a cheap provider that gives me 4GB of ram, SSD storage, fast internet, low latency for 20$.
Or, a provider for 20$ that trumps Vultr.

It's okay, you can give three or four even.
>>
>>57231966
Plenty of local providers (in my country), Flosoft, tons of "lowendbox" hosts.
Again, they all oversell. They all host on junk hardware.

So what do you win?
A few bucks a month? 2-3 maybe?

But you lose speed, stability, reliability, everything.
You have something, that should not store, host, run anything at all.

So what's the purpose? Renting virtual e-peen?
>>
File: shitnigga.png (18KB, 642x386px) Image search: [Google]
shitnigga.png
18KB, 642x386px
>>57231983
Once again man, Securedragon's NJ location is the same as Vultr's. Vultr uses some high end CPUs but for some reason they don't compare to the configuration on these VPSs.
You aren't even paying attention to the virtualization being used here. OpenVZ has no kernel overhead so it is going to be faster/leaner than a KVM VPS. Though OpenVZ hardly offers any security as a provider only has to type one command to be in your VPS. You just have to know who to trust.
I am not closed minded here, I know Vultr is fast but it is too damn expensive. I still have credit with Vultr if it tells you anything.
You keep saying $20, $20 a year, month, hour?
To top that off you say more customers = better? You ever consider that more customers = more commonly DDoS'd? Linode had some problems with that a while back.
Pic related, it's a dedicated idling its ass off.
>>
>>57232068
20$ a month, of course.
But it depends on package.
20$ is 2 CPU/2GB of ram.
That's a minimum "must" I think for most websites, communities, applications.

For hobby server, sure, there is the 5$ package.

> DDoS
They have infrastructure against DDoS.
And yes I know Linode got killed for a brief period.

But DDoS is increasingly common.
In Romania and the rest of the countries nearby, they sell 1gbps internet connection for 10$ a month.
Now have a botnet based on that, and you can take down quite a lot of sites.
Even in my country, they wire up FTTH/FTTB almost every major city.

Imagine if your server is hosted at a small hosting company.
No hate, let's say the company is all honest, all good, family ran, etc.
They get attacked.

What can they do? The center will null route them.
Even if they come back, they will get just attacked, and they can't afford a professional countermeasure, even temporarily.
So even by that measure, small providers just can't do much.

> OpenVZ vs KVM
KVM is still known to be faster, but overselling was the point.

> Who to trust
That's also the problem.
Lowendboxes just say "hey, here is provider X", and well, you blindly trust them.
They might run your server on a server with one drive, who knows?
You don't.

They can write anything on their site.

Btw I know Vultr is not cheap, that's why I mentioned Linode (2x ram), and OVH (MOAR ram).
OVH is dirt cheap:
https://www.ovh.co.uk/vps/vps-ssd.xml
https://www.ovh.co.uk/vps/vps-cloud-ram.xml
https://www.ovh.co.uk/vps/vps-cloud.xml
>>
File: vultr-hdd.png (62KB, 1162x547px) Image search: [Google]
vultr-hdd.png
62KB, 1162x547px
>>57232139
>In Romania and the rest of the countries nearby, they sell 1gbps internet connection for 10$ a month.
And sadly, I forgot to mention, Ukraine is like one of the most common attackers.
Romania is not far behind either.

So the worst countries (in terms of attacks) have the fastest connections and shittiest security.
Makes the perfect recipe for cyber warfare/attacks.

Btw Vultr also has a HDD plan, in case anyone is interested.
>>
>>57232139
what do you recommend if you anticipate needing some ddos protection for a small website?
ovh has supposedly decent ddos protection and is reasonably priced
cloudflare is too expensive
>>
This might be a stupid question, but maybe someone has tried this

Has anyone used a cheap vps as a vpn for torrenting? Do any providers play nice or are they all going to cancel your service?
>>
File: hey neighbor.png (7KB, 600x81px)
hey neighbor.png
7KB, 600x81px
>>57232139
I know there are a lot of summer providers and whatnot in the LEB range. There are a lot of dodgy providers in general.
I guess my luck has been higher than most, or maybe I read every thing about a provider I could before paying.
You're right about the nullrouting, it is usually just the IP under attack instead of the entire rack.
These recent DDoS attacks have made even Choopa(vultr) near collapse. In fact vultr's site went down. You could see it on my site's load times, but nonetheless it never went down. Choopa is one of the few datacenters that has a 100% network uptime guarantee. My point here is that it is nearly always the datacenter that is hosting you that determines whether you will sink or swim.
I don't see the point in a VPS above 2GB of RAM in the first place, might as well get a dedi from Joe's Datacenter or Dacentec... Maybe even Kimsufi if you know you will have the server long enough to justify the setup fee.
>>
>>57232229
They don't really care so long as they don't get DMCA notices.
>>
>>57232213
Cloudflare is FREE. Only Pro costs 5$ a month, but you do NOT need that.

All the providers I listed also has DDoS protection, automatic, free, provided with the server.
So, if you are not tech savvy, just get a VPS from one of these.
One that can support your small site. A 10$/20$ package should be fine for most.

If you need more muscle, SoYouStart is the solution.
It's got two drives, even SSDs.
(I have a 2x300gb Xeon SYS machine right now.)

>>57232229
People use Kimsufi usually for that.
Worst scenario they nullroute you, ask you to stop.
But I would just use a Seedbox. They are equally cheap, and my ass is covered.
Like my name is on the box, so yeah.
>>
>>57230979
>fibernetics
>big
No. Kys
>>
>>57232233
I was a customer of Vultr when the attack happened, my server had zero downtime, even during the attack.

> Kimsufi
There is no setup fee. (but you have 1 HDD, and 1 IP and 100mbps)
Hetzner also has no fee. (but you have to pay ~1.2$ for new IPs per month)

SYS is 60 euro, but it is free from time to time, and you can stagger that 60 eur to 6 month.
So 10 eur + for 6 months. (additional IPs are one time fee, 10$ or something small)
And well, you can just cancel anytime by not paying, and they don't care.

Online.net is straight 60 euro setup.
>>
File: TooMuchRAM.png (17KB, 642x386px) Image search: [Google]
TooMuchRAM.png
17KB, 642x386px
>>57232229
Vstoike.ru doesn't give a fuck, not the cheapest but they are a solid provider.
Hostsolutions.ro doesn't give a fuck and even advertises that they ignore DMCA. Uptime is meh, pricing is nothing to write home about, but they won't ever kick you off for torrenting. The guy who runs it seems to be decent but prepare to receive some emails in Romanian.
I actually used DO's NL location to torrent for a bit but I got sketched out due to how big a company they are and what they may do to uphold their reputation.
lowendstock.com is a good place to find cheap VPS to be used for a VPN. NAT VPS are as cheap as $4 a year and you only need one port to VPN. That leaves you 19 more ports to do whatever the hell you want. Obviously avoid US/EU locations.
>>
File: No Setup Fee.png (4KB, 526x109px)
No Setup Fee.png
4KB, 526x109px
>>57232280
>no setup fee
I guess I am on the wrong internet?
>>
>>57232249
from what i understand cloudflare free/pro plans drop you if you get an attack that affects other users

i've heard good things about ovh ddos protection and their firewall but the vps plans are only 100mbit and dedis are overkill for my needs, will probably give the vps a go anyhow
>>
>>57232332
What? Wow what the fuck.

They didn't have a fee back then. Sorry.
Hetzner is still free though.
You can also cancel your order within 14 days, so you can try a dozen machines for free.

>>57232362
Any plan and provider will drop you if you get a sustained, huge attack.
If it's manageable, they don't care.
>>
>>57232362
So what I was saying, get a VPS, that gives you DDOS protection then.
Vultr has DDoS protection.
OVH VPS too.

Vultr is +10$ a month.
OVH comes with DDOS protection for free.
Ramnode has protection but don't know how much is it, how good it is.

Linode, DO has no protection.
>>
I personally colocate my own server in a datacenter close by. It's the cheapest I have found. It's easy for me as well though, since I live in the same city the datacenter is in and literally built the server and drove it to the datacenter.
>>
>>57232385
Kimsufi likely added the setup fee to stop people who only had servers for a month or two, less of a pain in the ass for them and it gives an incentive for people to keep paying.
Dacentec is my go-to for servers at the moment but I may start going with Joe's instead due to the central US location. A friend of mine rented a dedicated from WholesaleInternet and I have to say their network sucks shit.
I don't really want to risk a fraudrecord entry because I tried out a ton of dedis with Hetzner. Hetzner is in Germany, I like being able to host what I want.
>>
>>57232427
Of course that's an option. A good one at that too.
In the long run, it's cheaper too, if 100mbps is enough.

In my country, 100mbps is around 45$.
Now I can buy a Hetzner box, have a faster speed, and don't worry about the hw.
Everything has its pros and cons.

If I were a very lazy asshole, I would just VPS, because you don't have to do shit.
You can just snapshot from the panel, restore, do whatever, it's comfy as fuck.
>>
>>57232427
How expensive does that end up being?
>>
>>57232476
Google "colocation price" and your area/city/country.
>>
>>57232469
>I don't really want to risk a fraudrecord entry because I tried out a ton of dedis with Hetzner.
You have to send in your ID card and all, you get your username, so if they bitch, you just stop.

> Dacentec is my go-to for servers at the moment but I may start going with Joe's instead due to the central US location.
Of course, I am from Europe.
Hetzner is out of the question for you.
OVH/SYS/KS has Canadian locations IIRC.
Well OVH has a datacenter up my ass too, but yeah it's in the US iirc as well.

(To us, blind and ignorant foreigners, west is the west. Just like how people call everyone chinks on the east.)
>>
>>57232507
btw I ordered a Hetzner recently.

> both hard drives had reallocated sectors and errors in SMART
> email support
> get reply: "but it runs, it's ok"

So yeah, that's why you hop from server to server.
>>
>>57232485
99$ a month but then I have to buy the server equipment and only get 100mbs. Is it really better in the long run?
>>
>>57232507
I have a VPS at the OVH Canada datacenter and it works fine for east coast US. Users on the west coast get a 90-100ms ping which is alright but nothing special of course. OVH is going to build a new datacenter in Virginia sometime soon. Psychz might have to lower their prices to compete with OVH there.
>>
>>57232552
1) Sometimes colocation can be cheaper.
2) If you have a spare hardware at hand, sure thing, you already have the hardware.
3) They usually give you KVM access, like remote kb+mouse+screen. That is only given @ OVH.
4) If you have a very strong hardware, or specialized (like fitted with GPU for remoteFX).

Just a few examples.
I am not that anon, I rent machines.
>>
>>57231005
where do you get the free AWS credits as a student? i'm aware of the github student pack but i thought that only had $100 DO credit.
>>
>>57232594
They recently added it to the very same pack.
https://education.github.com/pack

AWS Educate on top.
>>
>>57232584
I'll look at other companies. Looks like the server that's slightly above celery processor is ~600$.

I suppose the experience of doing all that is something worth putting on a resume. I dunno. It sounds fun just expensive.
>>
>>57232622
What do you want to try?
Colocation? In coloc, you can put in any machine.
Most companies and people just build one.

Have a Pentium or i3, Intel motherboard with RAID, put in 2x1TB drives, 8-16gigs of ram (or more if you can)...
I would also add a GPU just for RemoteFX and fun. Something cheapo.

Or you want to rent?
>>
>>57232644
It needs to be in a rackspace form factor though doesn't it? Like a 1U.

I don't imagine I just bring an old desktop in
>>
>>57232604
thanks, i didn't know they added this.
need to try and remember my github password now
>>
>>57232660
You can.
http://www.riptidehosting.com/FAQ.aspx#colofaq4
Most datacenters allow you to bring in a desktop, yes.

They have this listed/answered on their site.
In my country, even top datacenters have normal shelves, you just put the machine there, plug it in, there.

>>57232663
b-b-but its the most hip and most tolerant coding place on the internet, how dare you forgot, you misogynist cis pig?!
>>
>>57232688
I mean the desktop hosting thing is in a different part of the building, but it has the same redundant power, generators, AC, internet, everything.
>>
>>57232688
Oh. Well that changes everything. I wouldnt mind paying 99$ a month for that kinda thing. I can throw an old desktop together :P
>>
Renting a server at SYS. Is hyper-threading any useful?
>>
>>57232699
But 99$ is a lot.
100mbps should be just 30-40$ or something.
And if it's far, make sure they give you "Remote KVM".
As I mentioned, you connect it from the net, and it's like a VNC, remote keyboard, mouse, display.

Some centers can hook it up on request, that's also fine.
Just don't have to travel if it fucks up.

By the way, for 100$, you can rent an OVH server.
That's got KVM and all that.
So the only part you miss is the trip to the datacenter and signing papers...

BUT, it's up to you mate.
>>
>>57232717
If you are hosting websites, databases, yes.
If you are running game servers, single threaded apps, no.

But SYS servers have fresh CPUs, so HT will not slow you down.
Again, it's more pricey, and you only benefit if you can spread your tasks/vms across.
>>
>>57230979
>50% off each plan
it's 70% all the time, with the biggest package being 90% off

I have 24 core, 12GB 240GB hdd with CloudAtCost I'd be willing to part with for the right bid senpai
>>
>>57232735
Thanks for the answer. It's for a website so I'm going for HT.
>>
>>57232722
Thanks. I'll look around and see what there is
>>
>>57232552
$99/month is steep unless you are trying to use a desktop tower or something. I pay $39/month for 1U with 1Gbps download (burst) and 100Mbps upload (guaranteed). 10TB data cap per month, with no charge on download just upload. This is in Dallas, TX.
>>
>>57232906
That sounds nice
>>
>>57232906

Forgot to mention that $39/month is annual pricing. It's $69/month if you go month-to-month. Typically speaking in colocation paying upfront for a year+ at a time is always way cheaper in the long run. It's also a huge datacenter that won't just disappear overnight.
>>
>>57232953
Coloc by companies is much cheaper than directly by the datacenter.
Basically a company rents out a part of the datacenter, and you can rent a place at said company.

Capitalism.
But it works.
>>
Ah gotcha. I'll look for that
>>
>>57233745
How do you find said companies? I know what data center I want to be at
>>
>>57233777
In my country they just pop up if I search for colocation. Nothing pops up in Google?
>>
>>57232139
>> OpenVZ vs KVM
>KVM is still known to be faster, but overselling was the point.
the point of not chosing OpenVZ is to have full control over your system including kernel, not just speed, maybe price
>>
Not sure if this is widely known. but
SO AWS has a free tier
https://aws.amazon.com/free/
>> free
>> for a year
so you get a single instance (ec2) it has a shitty cpu and like 2gb ram. BUT it is a free baddass VPN if
>> you dont suck at CLI, and can set it up
>> use openvpn or something similar
>> you now CONTROL your vpn
>> they dont care about bandwidth (i use a small amount ~ 400GB a month)
>> its amazon cloud so its fast af
>> its free for a year
>> free good vpn for a year
the storage sucks and shit their free teir has a buncha other stuff too, but its limited. vpn seems best use for it since I can still dl ~ 50mb/s

Not gonna hide you from the nsa, but certainly will protect you from your ISP snoopin around
>>
>>57233777
Nope its all just data centers
>>57234100
How does installing OS' work? Can you use freebsd?
>>
>>57234100
>aws free tier
>gets his shit pushed in by botnet
>over free bandwidth tier
>massive bill from Amazon arrives
>pajeet hangs himself for his failed canadian pharmacy business
>>
>>57230939
>dedicated server
>cheap
pick one asshole
>>
>>57234329
5$
> not cheap

Jesus Fucking Christ, get a load of this faggot.
>>
>>57234202
>>57234202
They have a buncha OS's you can pick from "Ubuntu, Windows Server, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, Fedora, Debian, CentOS, Gentoo Linux, Oracle Linux, and FreeBSD. We are looking for ways to expand it to other platforms."
Just start the instance, pick os

>>57234296
Almost, except I just used a $25 store bought CC and never have to worry about it again (then spent the 25 on some shit on amazon)

>> i sound like a shill
>> but this works with no real way to backfire
>> unless dumb
>>
>>57234392
say that to the kid that was running IRC for a minecraft server on /s4s/ that got DDoS'd to the tune of a 17k "premium bandwidth" bill from Amazon
>>
>>57234202
Be very, very careful.
If you fuck up, Amazon will BILL THE FUCK OUT OF YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AND YOUR KIDS AND YOUR DOG.

So be very, very, very fucking careful.
I cannot sress that enough.

If you rent a cheap vps, a normal vps, a server, you pay X $. That's it.
But Azure, Amazon and Google are "pay as you go". And they bill you for transfer, etc.

Some people managed to get their invoices cleared out by amazon when they made a mistake and raked up 10,000$ bills, but it does not happen to everyone.
>>
File: nothin_personnel_kid.png (7KB, 416x60px) Image search: [Google]
nothin_personnel_kid.png
7KB, 416x60px
>>57234407
forgot screen shot direct from Amazon
>>
>>57234392
It works if you are extremely cautious and never fuck up. The risk combined to the gain... you save what? 5$? But risk losing all your money?

I don't really gamble, but man, that's some shitty trade-off.
>>
>>57234455
(Btw I use Amazon S3, and I set traffic, billing caps and all that but I am still worried that some fuck will put my file on loop and some limit will not work.)
>>
So what dedicated hoster to use for some cheap game servers?
>>
>>57234708
Cheap? Kimsufi.

The i5 server can handle 5-6 servers.
Just backup your config / saves for the server.

BUT, if we are talking Minecraft, nothing.
Hosted a mineycrafto server for a friend. He "modded it", and in the end it used up 7 cores of the Xeon E3.
>>
>>57234708
Also, you can just dd a Windows Server ISO to them. Winkyface.gif

Or, if your game has Linux binaries, the Control Panel allows you to deploy any kind of Linux.
>>
>>57234407
Is there a way to check what plan a server is using?
>>
>>57234844
if you didn't pay for it, it's free tier t2.micro instance
>>
>>57234751
>>57234800

Used Kimsufi in the past, went pretty well. Wondered if there were any other cheap ones, guess Kimsufi is still the way to go.
>>
>>57234342
>$5 "dedicated" server
>good
You have to pick one, Zhang Li Wang.
>>
>>57234857
It's the cheapest, yeah.
And it's good.

>>57234861
> good
Define good.
It's an Intel Atom, more powerful than shared VPS boxes, and it's got a dedicated 100mbps connection too.

If you want a more powerful one, it's ~15-20$.
Is that too pricey already?
>>
File: awsstuff.png (126KB, 898x1188px) Image search: [Google]
awsstuff.png
126KB, 898x1188px
>>57234442
>>57234455
>>57234434
>>57234407
ight so i got kinda .. concerened and looked into it

looks like traffic from internet -> ec2 = free
and traffic from ec2 -> private ip (home ip) = free
so ... unless i'm reading these wrong the only real cost is traffic from ec2->internet or some other public ip addy.

https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/on-demand/

data transfer stuff is half way down.

idk i thought my little idea was so good I had to share it! I've been doing this vpn for about 4 months.. and like i said no billing alerts or anything. ~ 400gb a month bandwidth usage

Don't host a gaming server on freetier?
>>
>>57234892
Check the bottom, you are transferring to the internet IF you are uploading, serving from the server. So basically hosting anything.
> First 1GB 0.00$
> Up to 10TB 0.09$ per GB

399*0.09 = 36 USD.
Something is off mate.
You should check your bank account, Amazon billing and all that....
>>
>>57234892
the gaming server wasn't hosted on free tier, it was a paid minecraft host AFAIK, the AWS instance was running an IRC network for about ~40 moderately active people (about 1-2GB/mo in throughput)

EC2 traffic inbound is free for the most part, it's outbound that isn't. each DDoS packet sent will cause a reply from the server which racks up. they also bill for CPU usage if it exceeds x% in y time for z duration
>>
>>57234892
>and traffic from ec2 -> private ip (home ip) = free
The one you looked at means you transfer from your server A, to another EC2 server B. So like you had two servers, and they were syncing folders, and things like that.

But Internet is on bottom as I mentioned.
>>
>>57234989
he is quoting from the non-free tier pricing rubric. all AWS are given 15GB outbound traffic per month before billing is incurred at a significantly higher markup (to drive people to purchasing t2.small/med/large packages)
>>
>>57234952
>>57234933
>>57234989
Well damn, I'm glad I said something, cuz yall were right. .09/GB so I owe about 25 right now. So i'm a dumb dumb! Time to set up shop elsewhere I suppose ty /g/
>>
>>57235314
Shit happens mate.
If you are a student, you may be able to add the credits.
Also if you haven't added a billing card or anything, don't. They will close your account, and you can just open a new whenever.

Amazon just has too many customers to care.
>>
Why the duck don't you people just get a laptop that has a broken screen and use that with an Ethernet card
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.