[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it true that Arch is a lightweight Gnu / Linux distribution?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

Is it true that Arch is a lightweight Gnu / Linux distribution?

Do you recommend Arch for older computers?
>>
File: antergos-logo.png (57KB, 470x350px) Image search: [Google]
antergos-logo.png
57KB, 470x350px
>>57220224
Also: Arch users - do you like Antergos?
Is it a good Arch installer?

The only extras are Numix icons in it.
>>
>>57220272
Just use Arch Anywhere, it's Arch with a graphical installer. How well your PC will actually run depends on what DE you use, most computers will run well with XFCE or LXDE.
>>
i would recommend xubuntu
just because the library of applications you can use is bigger
but archbang is pretty cool
for debian there is bunson labs
>>
>>57220224
>Is it true that Arch is a lightweight Gnu / Linux distribution?

Not explicitly, but I'm sure there are forks / Arch-based distros that are designed with this principle in mind, such as ArchBang. (No idea if that's still maintained)
>>
>>57220224
>Is it true that Arch is a lightweight
No, Arch resolves its binaries against every dependency built in by the developers, regardless of how obscure.

Arch is minimal but it isnt lightweight.
>>
>>57220224
ubuntu is lightweight >>57219385
>>
>>57220272
Antergos is god-tier for being comfy and useable out of the box. I'd say it's one of the most user friendly distros.
>>
>>57221069
I'm asking this without any irony: any sauce on that?
I'm really curious and never even heard about what you just said.
>>
>>57221562
Yeah, I tried it and you're right.
It really is comfy and out-of-the-box.

However I experienced that even lxde or xfce were a bit heavier than I expected on my laptop.
Heavier than the Ubuntu version, but not heavy heavy, if you know what I mean.
>>
>>57220224
If you have an older computer, that means you are poor, therefore stupid. I wouldn't recommend Arch for stupid poorfags
>>
>>57221712
This is a grown-up discussion, kid.
>>
File: SvTing2.jpg (404KB, 1152x1536px) Image search: [Google]
SvTing2.jpg
404KB, 1152x1536px
>>57220272
if you're going to use arch, then you'll have to learn to use it sooner or later and that won't get you around the terminal. so I'd say, just do it the traditional way, once you know the filesystem and all that everything starts getting easy
>>
>>57221581
I will give examples
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/mesa/
Wayland is an optional dependency. It is not needed if you don't use it. I thought getting rid of "bloat" (things I don't use) is why people install Arch?

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/conky/
libxinerama and wireless_tools are optional.

and so on. The only packages they have split into two different packages I know of are vim and emacs.

And of course, https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
>>
>>57220224
very last software on older computers is not the best combo
>>
It just installs light. Once you install software you're right back to bloat.
>>
>>57221802
Thanks Anon!
I'll definitely check those links.
>>
>>57221802
>>57221581
Arch is about as minimal as you can really get in a binary based distro without sacrificing desktop functionality.

I suppose you could go for something like Alpine but that is pretty early in its life.
>>
>>57220224
no, Arch is better for newer faster computers that might not have hardware support on older distros. For instance, Arch was the only linux distro I could be bothered to install on my GTX 1080 build because it didn't require a working video driver to set up, every other distro failed because either the open source driver they provide with the install isn't compatible yet, or the nvidia non-free driver they provide is too outdated to include support. With Arch I just installed the latest non-free driver from the command line during the install, done and works perfectly.
>>
>>57221885
>muh bleedin edge
Just don't be a retard and make sure the kernel that ships with your distro of choice supports your hardware.

>non-free drivers
Absolutely haram
>>
>>57221712
>you have to be stupid to be poor
>>
>>57220272
Antergos is great, if you're putting it on an older PC, I suggest using the Mate desktop environment.
>>
Arch is made for schoolkids to learn CLI. In order to achieve that, distro goes without any installers, only base system. It's something similar to pro distributions: debootstrap of Debian or Ubuntu Core.

If you don't need to learn CLI, and want a stable working Linux, install something more serious.
>>
>>57220224
Try Gentoo, you can set up distcc to ease the compiling load. I'm running my cozy stuff with 256mb ram filled.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.