[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come QR codes never really caught on?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: QR.png (22KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
QR.png
22KB, 200x200px
How come QR codes never really caught on?
>>
They did, just not in america

plus the inherent dangers
>>
>>57213733
What are the dangers?
>>
>>57213718
How does this still work?
>>
>>57213749
A lot of redundancy in the QR code format.
>>
>>57213739
Hipsters in my home county starting posting them all over to advertise for shows at local venues. They were everywhere, on every telephone pole. Then someone put up one that led to a virus that put screamers on your computer or something like that (the news was a bit vague about it) and people stopped putting QR codes up.
>>
my university used to post them for freshman every year. Basically all they did was lead to maps, but kinda useful. I still like the idea in general it's convenient as anything to have a little scan to a websites link instead of having to type them. Honestly, I wish companies would put them in news papers or those stupid flyers in the mail for coupons.

As for the problem I always felt like it needed support from a major mobile web browser. Basically chrome mobile, firefox mobile, etc. having a QR function built in. A good marketing team would have helped it a lot.
>>
>>57213718

Because they are easily lead to exploits
>>
>>57213718
Neither iOS or Android come with a QR code reader by default, so that means nobody can scan your shit without installing a fucking app.

Stupid marketers honestly believed people would scan a QR code they saw on a billboard and go visit their website so they can get advertised at some more.

They're good for their intended purpose, scanning automotive parts on a factory assembly line.
>>
Eh they are still used. They have just been degraded to coupon usage for one of your local mcdonalds. A free drink and medium fries for any large sandwich is just a tap away!
>>
I see people pulling out their cellphones to scan products in stores all the time. Perhaps they aren't as big as in some other countries, but they're still a thing.
>>
>>57213718
They did, people just try to avoid them because they look scary. Lots of sites and services still offer them, but usually in addition to an alternative. For example, my router lets me use either a direct link or the QR code to go to their official site or jump to the play store to download their app for router administration over Android, which is helpful if you're too lazy to type, although unnecessary now that you can just share clipboard between your PC and phone.
>>
>>57213718
Ravioli ravioli give me the formuoli
>>
>>57213979
this simply
>>
>>57213979
makes me wonder why the default camera apps don't scan for barcodes and give an out-of-the-way notification if it detects one
it'd make them much more accessible
>>
>old people don't like using them
>microsoft fractured the scanner market by shilling tag for a while
>companies didn't use them in a particularly good way
>In the US, Apple didn't add stock support for scanning them to the camera app
>datamatrix, PDF417, and Aztec barcodes were more commonly in use for industry applications anyways

I think from a consumer engagement perspective NFC could have more potential if Apple ever gets on board for using it for more than mobile payments.
>>
>>57213979
+1 internet for you, lad.
>>
>>57213718
http://picturesofpeoplescanningqrcodes.tumblr.com/
>>
>>57213718
I know what you were expecting. I see them very often in the US.
>>
I see QR codes everywhere all the time, what's wrong?
>>
>>57216241
This honestly. I think everyone would love using them in the U.S. if they didn't have to keep an extra app that has ads in it around just to scan a QR code every other month.
>>
They are fucking massive outside of Americas and Europe. China being the biggest.
>>
File: _7.jpg (46KB, 516x411px) Image search: [Google]
_7.jpg
46KB, 516x411px
Is it autistic to make QR codes in Minecraft?
>>
>>57213718
What third world country are you from, I see them everywhere in Europe.
>>
>>57217971
It is , however it would be cool if you find in game a tile with qr code to a different server or so. Secret society stuff
>>
Best qr scanner
>Prove me wrong
https://f-droid.org/app/com.google.zxing.client.android
>>
>>57213979
>windows phone 8 had shazam and qr code reader functions built in
i miss my 1520. lagdroid my ass
>>
>>57217971
>Is it autistic to make [anything] in Minecraft?
hurr
>>
it's ugly
>>
>>57213718
I remember for a long time people didn't even know what the fuck they were. That's a problem if you want something to catch on
>>
File: qr.jpg (34KB, 340x455px) Image search: [Google]
qr.jpg
34KB, 340x455px
because of pick related
>>
In Swinegolia:
On the bus stop
On advertisement
On stuff in the store instead of bar codes
On the drivers license
>>
>>57213979
This, It's too hassle nowadays to scan a qr code, not to mention of needing an app to do it.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.