[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: CELL_BE_processor_PS3_board.jpg (2MB, 3072x1728px) Image search: [Google]
CELL_BE_processor_PS3_board.jpg
2MB, 3072x1728px
What went wrong?
>>
File: Cell_Arch.gif (60KB, 811x613px) Image search: [Google]
Cell_Arch.gif
60KB, 811x613px
Proprietary piece of poop that was incredibly complicated. Sony fucked up, that's why the PS3 never had any games.
>>
>HEY LETS USE AN 8-CORE MATH COPROCESSOR TO RUN VIDYA GAMES!!
>WHAT DO YOU MEAN PEOPLE HATE MULTITHREADED PROGRAMMING???
>>
>>57213582
Can somebody tell me why an I/O controller needs 78GB/s of bandwidth?
>>
>>57213604
probably to connect to the GPU
>>
>>57213604
The design was for these cells to connect to each other through those IO controllers
>>
The CPU was built like a GPU, only later on did they realize their mistake and added a proper GPU to it
>>
>>57213537
dumb cores don't work
>>
>>57213818
This. You need to do a lot of low level shenanigans (data and instruction ordering is important, need to hit cache as often as you can) to get good performance out of it. Modern AMD APU is basically a supercharged Cell processor, but more programmer friendly with a huge existing code base.
>>
pajeet programmers that are completely stranger to multicore programming and completely untalented to adapt to a new architecture.

that's what went wrong. it was 2005 and gaymen devs were complaining about multicore design, probably most of them are unemployed right now. because as the years past and cpu manufacturers hit the clock speed wall, companies needed more talented software engineers to design smarter software architectures to adapt variable core numbers. also that's why last gen ps3 games were stunningly beautiful in comparison to a device that's released in 2006. of course it was kind of outdated when developers finally figured out how to use Cell. I wish Sony invested more for IBM's new Cell II. It was a bold move but in a wrong time. Now all consoles adapted to x86, they are no different than a standard PC, actually much worse than PCs. They are weak, there are no magic tricks you can pull, it's plain bloated x86 that's not specialized in anything.

Sad that cell was a failure, it had a future for computation world.
>>
>>57214499
What's the cell 2 used for?
>>
>>57214522
probably more parallel computing things. cell was god damn cheap to manufacture. but another mistake was local storages were too low (256kb) and the system memory is strictly divided by 256mb for cpu and 256mb for gpu.
>>
incompetent programmers
>>
>>57214499
>>57214557

Had nothing to do with "lazy programmers".
Had everything to do with programmers not wanting to learn to deal with an outgoing methodology.
GPGPU was around the corner by then. Close to Metal was already around, CUDA was on the horizon.
It didn't make sense to learn to make programs to run on 6-8 moderately powerful, highly-specific RISC cores, when you could either chose to make code for up to 4 full-fat x86 or POWER cores (PC Gayman or Wii/Gamecube/Xbox/Xbox 360 programming), or get on the road to learning massively parallel programming.

Dealing with multiple highly-specific RISC cores had been a thing since the SNES. It was in no way a new thing, nor were people "foreign" to the idea of it. Just instead of having individual RISC chips on the board, you go to designate cores to being those chips, or pairing them together on loads, or similar. But ultimately, nobody wanted to do this, or deal with RISC anymore. The multiple SPE cores idea was just not really viable, looking forward, so nobody WANTED to bother with it.
>>
>>57214499
>there are idiots who still defend the cluster fuck of the cell architecture
>>
>no out of order operations allowed
>>
>1 CPU core
>8 SPU

Dumb architecture, amazing IBM can con Sony into this shit
>>
SHUFB best intstruction.
Odd/Even instruction split was retarded though.

>>57215028
Just like the 360 CPU.
>>
>>57215074
I remember reading that it was Toshiba's idea for that architecture, IBM helped to implement it.
>>
>>57213537
Cell didn't work outside PS3 because CPUs designed in radical and innovative ways always fail.

Cell didn't work in PS3 because it was originally intended to be both the CPU and GPU, but was so uncompetitive compared to the 360 that they had to add an expensive extra GPU that contributed to the whole 599 US dollars situation.
>>
>>57215635
>>57213537

sony sent out shit documentation because they wanted games to get progressively better as the years go on and devs learned for themselves.
>>
>>57213537
tfw toshiba sold notebooks with x86/cell combo and the cell chip literally did nothing just bump the price
>>
>>57213537
Shit for gaymens, good for supercomputers. Look up IBM Roadrunner. Lazy devs, thats maybe why nvidia is more succesfull, goyimworks takes work away.
Also, the Cell8xi exists, so i got used where it was good.
>>
>>57213537
sony overestimated programmers
>>
>>57214499
>They are weak, there are no magic tricks you can pull, it's plain bloated x86 that's not specialized in anything.
Especially with vulkan being able to do literally everything you can do with GNM
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.