[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aside from the software aspect, how much do you actually know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: pc286.jpg (270KB, 1106x1105px) Image search: [Google]
pc286.jpg
270KB, 1106x1105px
Aside from the software aspect, how much do you actually know about your computer?
Does anyone actually go deep enough to read the documentation of their CPU, technical manuals etc.?
I'm not talking about knowing just the specification, but more than that.
>>
I've built my own computer out of 7400 and am2900 series ttl chips I found in a box in my shed :-)
>>
File: VJ0mSIH.jpg (71KB, 610x907px) Image search: [Google]
VJ0mSIH.jpg
71KB, 610x907px
>>57209018
Yes. Did study computer engineering before switching to software engineering.
>>
i know the computerphile analogy:
> hard drive is like a book you are copying out
> cpu is like how fast you can write
> ram is like how much you can remember at a time, ie. it is quicker if you can remember more in one go, but at some point the cpu bottlenecks you

gpu wasn't included in that beautiful analogy.
>>
>>57209018
Never had the opportunity to built my own CPU, but I did spend a year writing microcode for one. Fun times.
>>
>>57209092
>stupid israeli cunt gets a real 653 but you don't
Fuck Israel.
>>
>>57211397
I find this view quite idiotic. If she thinks that a bar is such a dangerous place, why did she go there in a first place.

I always was curious about the materials used to build a PC. I know that it's plastic and metal, but I would like to learn more details and didn't find any article that would deliver more information on this.
>>
>>57211436
>I find this view quite idiotic. If she thinks that a bar is such a dangerous place, why did she go there in a first place.
same reason everyone who shows off their guns goes any place with their guns; because they don't consider it that dangerous but they want people to be impressed or something.

i like guns but i feel like gun nuts ruin it for everyone. it's not a fashion accessory (and before someone accuses me of hating on women for this, i usually see men showing off their guns-turned-toys, bringing their guns places seemingly just to get attention)
>>
>>57211465
>it's not a fashion accessory
I think the same, there's nothing to show off about.
>>
>>57211436
>>57211465
>>57211489
You're fucking morons.
>>
>>57211489
yeah but the gun owners community is overwhelmed by louder people like >>57211496. people that just quietly own a gun (or a few) and hunt, practice marksmanship, etc... don't post much on threads, don't seem to want to get into arguments with manchildren who think guns are a good surrogate for a penis, or a conversational talking point, or both.
>>
>>57211512
If you were in Poland like me, I'd buy you a beer, because I completely agree. Well said.
>>
I know the architecture of the components, i don't know exactly how they're designed.
>>
>>57209018

I go as deep as knowing the layout of the CPU die. But I'm also not a programmer.
>>
>>57211530
Please write more about what you understand by knowing the architecture.
Do you have and understand the circuit diagram of your motherboard etc. ?
>>
>>57211542
AFAIK Intel and AMD don't publish that, so I'm guessing you know layouts of OpenRISC and other processors like that?
>>
>>57211512
Eat my dick, moron. Work on your reading comprehension.
>>
>>57211560
What are you talking about? Intel throw micrographs at the press every time they release something.
>>
>>57211619
Yes, but are they actually useful in learning the way the CPUs work?
I thought they're just marketing images.
>>
>>57211650
I'm not sure how you think there is no information to be taken from a die shot.
>>
>>57211525
i hope he's in poland with you, instead of shitting up my streets.
>>
>>57211663
You got me there. I don't know enough about hardware implementation of CPUs.
>>
>>57209018
Where can I get a keyboard like the one in the photo? Does this type of keyboard have a name, or some form of reference I can use to search one out?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.