[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your favourite distro + DE (or wm) combo ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 3

File: 1476921850909.jpg (81KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1476921850909.jpg
81KB, 1024x1024px
What is your favourite distro + DE (or wm) combo ?
>>
Arch + OpenBox
>>
Arch + i3
>>
macOS
>>
Arch + Budgie
>>
manjaro + deepin
>>
Devuan + xfce
>>
Arch Linux with KDE
>>
Arch + i3

This is second best for me: >>57208494
>>
>>57208208
Debian + Cinnamon
>>
ubuntu minimal + i3
>>
KDE with whatever.
>>
>>57208208
Debian + Openbox
>>
Arch + i3

I want to try xmonad and awesome but I'm too lazy to learn to write those configs and i3 works much better out of the box.
>>
>>57208261
>>57208330
>>57208389
>>57208494
>>57208543
>>57208664

Seems like arch isn't a meme after all
>>
Ubuntu + bspwm.
I have a few gentoo machines too, but I haven't bothered compiling X for them (no need, really).
>>
>>57208208
Fedora + Gnome
>>
Ubuntu + Unity.

I always end up coming back to it. The heart wants what it wants, I guess.
>>
Botnet + Botnet
>>
>>57208774
Don't let /g/ fool you, arch is a meme distro. You can do what you can on arch on any other distro without having to deal with the terrible package manager and it's shit tier syntax.
>>
>>57209003
I want to like Ubuntu with Unity because it IS comfy, but the partnership with the Amazon botnet ruins everything.
>>
>>57208208
Arch with Gnome and i3.
>>
>>57209057
Meh, I would've agreed back when it first happened but it's not default anymore, in theory. It still annoys me that there's an Amazon link in the task bar by default, but I just unpin and forget about it.
>>
>>57209093
Compare this to the shitfest on w10. Canonical have the right to make money with their distro as any other.
>>
>>57209093
This, I can't stand the fact that they included that link there.
>>
A+i3
>>57208664
I am interested in the same too, but I think their automatics will be a hindrance for me.
Always two strokes from what I need anyway.
Xmonad is intriguing but the only rule I can think of is to move browser,ide and documents to halfwidth tabs.
>>
Dia a cute

>>57208208
Ubuntu + Unity
>>
>>57208208
ubuntu + kde
>>
>>57208208
anything+icewm
>>
Lubuntu + i3
>>
debian + windowmaker
>>
macos + finder
>>
>>57208208

Debian + KDE

Gentoo + i3 is close runner up
>>
>>57209362

This doesn't make any fucking sense. Doesn't any Kubuntu/Lubuntu/Xubuntu/Etc. use the same ubuntu sources?

Why have lubuntu in /etc/issue if you're not even using the software that is the central purpose of the distribution? Just use a ubuntu net installer and install i3 on-top of a minimal install.

???
>>
>>57208208

Slackware with Fluxbox

Who needs a DE anymore? You're more than likely going to replace half the software it comes with anyway.
>>
>>57209175
>>57209093
Same. I like software-properties-gtk; the easiest way to identify and install proprietary drivers. But the whole Ubuntu name in my mind is so tarnished by that whole Amazon deal.
It autistically bugs me that there's advertising right on the desktop when you install it. But it also bothers me that they're very much willing to track you as much as they can.
First they put in an extreme: sending all your start menu searches through Amazon. Then they lower the amount of extremity to just a taskbar icon so they can still cash in, but as it's less bad, it's supposed to be okay.
But they're still very much willing to do more of that to increase revenue. As long as they can get another such lucrative deal, they will repeat it, then lower the extremity again.

For the /v/ browsers: it's like the Skyrim paid mods debacle. First introduce it, receive backlash and PR it away. Then slowly, casually, reintroduce it. Like taking a dive into cold water.

All that said. I'm so casual I'm okay with a Debian netinstall with "apt-get install gnome-shell gnome-terminal epiphany-browser tlp" then setting the tlp to schedutil instead of powersave.
>>
>>57209623
>You're more than likely going to replace half the software it comes with anyway.
I don't intend to replace networkmanager. What other software are you talking about? Mutter?
>>
>>57208208
Debian + Cinnamon

Antergos + Cinnamon
>>
>>57209638
I'm planning on installing Debian too. It seems like they're serious and don't sell out.
>>
>>57209703
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_in_the_Public_Interest
I'm no US fiscal lawyer, but it seems to me like Debian and Arch would have to take significant steps to even allow themselves to sell out without legal and tax problems.
Debian is what we old and tired people come to when we realize we just want to have the advantages of Linux, and be done with it.
>>
>>57209703
avconv suck arse. You'll need to frankeinstein it a little with ffmpeg. The rest is fine.
>>
>>57209660
>What other software are you talking about?

Do you even know the difference between a DE and a window manager? DEs tend to come bundled with software suites for everyday tasks, like Konquer or KolourPaint for KDE. This software or its dependencies get loaded into your system's memory whether or not you use them, since they're integrated into the DE. It's just needless bloat. Any serious user is probably going to replace all that software with their preferred applications for those tasks.

A window manager simply manages windows. That's it. It doesn't come loaded with a bunch of dependencies or any other shit that's just going to sit in memory and never get used.
>>
>>57209865
>DEs tend to come bundled with software suites for everyday tasks
http://packages.ubuntu.com/yakkety/gnome-shell
Not even a file manager or a terminal. Not even the display manager. If I recall correctly, gnome-shell on Arch doesn't even require gnome-settings.
>>
>>57209924

>DEs tend
>tend

Was my post rocket science? I'm well aware DEs can be stripped down, and there are more memory efficient DEs like LXDE with less default bloat. But even the most lightweight DEs don't hold a candle to the efficiency of just using a window manager.
>>
>>57209660
you should stop using linux if you are not aware of the bloat on your system
>>
>>57209961
Why?
>>
>Arch meme fags
>Tiling window managers
>"Duh, what's a DE?"

/g/ is showing its age again
>>
>>57210015
what is the point of using linux if you are not going to take advantage of what it offers
>>
Arch + MATE on modern laptops
Debian + MATE on older laptops
Arch + KDE on desktop
>>
>>57208208
I generally use Arch + Plasma 5 but i'm also liking KDE Neon on the work laptop.
>>
Gentoo + i3 is what I'm using right now.
I've got a soft spot for Window Maker, however. Might switch to that at some point.
>>
>>57210542
why i3 over bspwm?
>>
>>57208208
Gentoo + Cinnamon is da bes
>>
Windows + BBZero
>>
Windows 10
>>
>>57209135
The consumers also have the right to tell Canonical to go fuck themselves.
>>
>>57208208
debian + openbox

dia a cute
>>
Arch + Cinnamon

Arch for the AUR, Cinnamon for its hi-DPI support.
>>
herbstluftwm is fucking awesome and if you're not using it or bspwm, you're missing out big-time

also a special exception can be made for awesomewm if you're using gaps and revelation

on a related note, when do we finally purge all of the disgusting vidya faggots that have infested this board?
>>
>>57210641
idk but we need desktop threads again
>>
>>57210659
We just need sane people in them who don't circlejerk anime.
>>
>>57210693
anime posters are the only sane ones left
>>
>>57210700
Why?
>>
>>57210693
it's not even like the threads were invasive in the board lmao
>>
>>57210757
because they realize the site's true purpose and aren't trying to treat it like reddit without upvotes
>>
>>57209547
you're probably right, I'm pretty new to linux so I just installed it because it's supposedly "light"
>>
Arch + herbstluftwm
Super simple bash autoconfigurations make for easy custom scripting. It's its just so clean and lightweight.
>>
>>57208208
Ubuntu w/ Unity
>>
Arch + i3 on laptop because it's comfy.
>>
Arch + AwesomeWM

Because LUA is the only language I know.
>>
>>57208208
ubuntu + mate
>>
>>57210768
Desktop threads always, ALWAYS ended up with pedos showing off crappy loli shit in image viewers, it was a real eyesore.
>>
Mint XFCE as of now.
>>
Wow, I'm surprised everyone is all about the i3 meme. I switched to awesome and man it's beautiful (pun intended). I'd suggest to try out awesome, it's not too hard to customize, and it way to managing new windows and resizing windows is so nice :D
>>
>>57211535
It's good for REALLY old hardware but if you have atleast 3gb of ram xubuntu will run just as well and look and perform much better.
>>
debian + awesome WM

thinking of trying out dwm because I know C much better than I know lua
>>
I'm currently using Gentoo + dwm. The distro has no effect on the wm.

I've only applied the attachaside patch to dwm. The problem with dwm is that you have to read the documentation of X to change anything outside of the config.h file, it's not like awesome or xmonad which are more abstracted.
>>
>>57212994
why would you use dwm over i3?
>>
File: 1477116738858.png (228KB, 292x785px) Image search: [Google]
1477116738858.png
228KB, 292x785px
>>57208208
Xubuntu,
Arch, Xfce
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.