[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will there ever be a "free as in freedom" self driving car?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: car.jpg (723KB, 1750x966px) Image search: [Google]
car.jpg
723KB, 1750x966px
Will there ever be a "free as in freedom" self driving car?
>>
>>57208023
No, Because someone will make a standard and then regulations will force everyone to abide by it to reduce accidents.
>>
>>57208023
people just dont give materials to build cars for free you know
>>
>>57208023
I hope not.
>>
>>57208023
Yes, you buy a car and drive it yourself like a real man/woman/whatever gender you identify yourself and not a pussy ass faggot who has money for a """"""self-driving"""""""""""""""" (aka. botnet driven) car but cannot afford a driver's lciense.
>>
>>57208023
Yeah, It's gonna happen eventually.
>Some car company fucks up security regarding firmware updates over wifi
>People use exploits to install modified firmware on peoples cars
>Make all the cars crash

Someone will port GNU to a certain car.
>>
>>57208121
FPBP
>>
File: Vwdionk.jpg (57KB, 576x382px) Image search: [Google]
Vwdionk.jpg
57KB, 576x382px
>>57208023

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as a self driving Car, is in fact, GNU/Car, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Car. Self driving Cars are not a vehicular system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU motor, drive-train and wheels and other vital system components comprising a full vehicle as defined by DMV.
Many self driving Car users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “self driving Car”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a self driving Car, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Self driving Car is the ai: the program in the system that controls the vehicles systems to transport the GNU/Car. The self driving ai is an essential part of a vehicle, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete vehicular system. Self driving Car is normally used in combination with the GNU vehicular system: the whole system is basically GNU with self driving added, or GNU/Car. All the so-called “self driving” vehicles are really distributions of GNU/Car.

>low effort
>>
I think it would benefit everyone if it did.
Car companies do not make money off making software.
People who put modified software on the computer systems will not be in a position to claim that it is the car manufacturers fault.
Companies will still have to hire good programmers as they currently do, but they should also be able to stay competitive by doing this.
Imagine 5 cars having self driving capabilities.
4 of them pull patches from the public repositories and the last one does not.
When there is a problem (all software projects will encounter them), who would suffer?
If it is the public software, then all companies would share the problem and if company A fixes the issue for company B, then they get a lot of great publicity.
They might also be able to fix the problem before it becomes an issue on their own cars.
If the last company would have a problem, then they get the bad publicity.
Right now we have cars randomly failing at critical systems and it hurts these companies every time.
If they were able to work closer together, then I don't see the harm in that.
People who hack cars will have more reason to provide patches or prove of concept as more companies can pitch in to fix these issues.

Now free software on embedded platforms will always be a bit more fuzzy.
Software is harder to change and people view it as an appliance as it is the functionality they care about, updates is not a desired thing for the customer.
This means a certain amount of force will be necessary and this is not features that is usually applauded with free software.
But if you discover a bug with say the brakes or something, forcing an update will be necessary for public safety.
This means that users will not be "in control" as they will with a desktop computer, but I don't see this as a problem.
>>
No, it'll all be abstracted closed shit.
>>
>>57208121
>make a standard
I heard the story of software standards. It was so good my sides destroyed.
>>
Hopefully not. We don't want a 9 year old bug leaving our cars vulnerable.
>>
File: a21.jpg_large.jpg (115KB, 680x964px) Image search: [Google]
a21.jpg_large.jpg
115KB, 680x964px
>>57209060
>Car software starts out open source.
>/g/tard modifies the cars software.
>Mod causes a car crash.
>Car company gets sued.
>All car manufactures lock their code down.
>They all agree to a standard and pay lobbyists to make the government pass a law, making it illegal to modify the cars software.
>>
>>57208023
Self-driving cars will be the first meme that gets people killed.
>>
>>57211831
What's sad is that even if SD cars have an accident rate lower than half of human drivers, the media/retards are going to blow up about every SD crash and get these things outlawed
>>
>>57211872
the problem is that people consider humans generally good with a few mistakes here and there. systems are generally considered to be flawed, though. as an example, a human might make a mistake once, but correct later, whereas a system is perceived to make the same sort of mistake over and over again because that's how (simple) systems work.

this is the perception, at least, that makes people not trust self driving cars implicitly.

these functions will definitely not be banned because it'll be impossible to enforce that, but i'm wiling to bet anything that self driving cars without people behind the wheel will never come to pass. there will always have to be someone in the car, behind the wheel, and police will pull over any car whose driver is either not visible or clearly not paying attention.

if you transported 30 years into the future, i'm willing to bet a bit of money that the insides of cars would look roughly the same in this particular respect - that there'll be someone who you would guess is the driver based on his location in the car and apparent hand placement, etc...

people are skittish and conservative. they're not going to let cars just drive around on their own. between the above feelings about needing a human overseeing the operation, and fears about terrorists and shit, people will insist that cars have a legal driver at all times.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.