[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do I need calculus to code webpages?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5

File: ls,13inch,x999-bg,f8f8f8.2.jpg (100KB, 1181x999px) Image search: [Google]
ls,13inch,x999-bg,f8f8f8.2.jpg
100KB, 1181x999px
Why do I need calculus to code webpages?
>>
>>57207169
Fuck off ranjeet pattel
>>
>>57207169
if you're too stupid for calculus you're too stupid to do anything technology related.

fuck off.
>>
>>57207169

You don't have to.

You have to learn calcuus to get a degree, but you can make websites without degree perfectly fine.
>>
To calculate the asymptotic time and space complexity of all the bullshit Javascripts you implement.
>>
>>57207169
Calculus is easy lad.
>>
>>57207169
You don't. In fact you don't need college either. Why are you in college to "code webpages"?

Why don't you just read a few online tutorials?
>>
File: 1460879977101.gif (370KB, 500x465px) Image search: [Google]
1460879977101.gif
370KB, 500x465px
>When people say you need to be great at math to be able to code
>They don't know how to code and are wrong
>>
>>57207169
You don't.

But coding webpages is a shit job even by pajeet standards.
>>
Why do I need?
>>
>>57207169
You need math for Computer Science. You do not need math for Computer Programming, Software Engineering, or Web Development.

A Web Developer is to a Construction worker as a Computer Scientist is to an architect.

Also you can get a Web Development job with a High School diploma.
>>
>>57207454
I am smart enough for Calculus but to stupid for Algebra.
>>
>>57207780
That's true for a lot of people in higher math classes. They do the calculus or differential parts right, but screw up the algebra royally.
>>
I have an A in Calc 2 but I'm failing CS1

Want to do my CS1 homework for me, OP?
>>
>>57207780
>>57207811
t. me

C- in Calculus I right now because I can display my understanding of Calculus on the test, but not complete the problems in time.
>>
>>57207780
SAME.
Calc is easy.
Algebra you gotta like be able to see shit idk.
>>
>>57207764

>hurr, muh webdesging is so easy

Lost me here.

You are wrong with two things:
Theroretical computer science itsn't really difficult. Cmoputer "science" is nothing compared to math and you can research perfectly fine with low level math knowledge. What's difficult is 3D-graphics, sound and of course cryptography (maybe one or two things I forgot). But for the rest.. nah.

On the other hand, being a Web Developer ain't a piece of cake. Most "science guys" underestimate it beacuse they only see the tiup of the iceberg and think Web Development starts and ends with wordpress.
Protip: It's not.
>>
>>57208074
I never said that theoretical computer science is difficult. I am just comparing some of the peon computer science jobs vs. theoretical computer science.

You can't just list some fields/research topics in theoretical computer science and say those are the only applications of math in computer science. Theoretical computer science involves mixing known theory and mathematical concepts, regardless of how easy or hard the math it.

Yes people with a computer science degree knows how to develop software and could probably get a job with deb stuff, but really all you need to know is how structure and write programs. This is only a fraction of what computer science is.

Also, I have worked as a full stack web developer for 2 years and I can assure you that you would not need a degree in computer science to do this job, just training on how to program.
>>
>>57207622
You just need to know how to format. But that can be said about most fields of study.
>>
What's the difference between algebra and calculus, over here I think these two are merged and we separate other topics but I am not too sure what they contain specifically
>>
>>57208673
Algebra is basically just the language you need to know to speak Calculus.

Calculus is just math involving change and behavior of functions over time

Being able to calculate f(x+h)-f(x)/h is pre-calculus

But knowing that the limit as h approaches 0 of that is the derivative of f(x) is calculus
>>
>>57208673
algebra is basically solving problems with units instead of numbers.
Linear algebra is a branch of this where you only use linear operations and thus avoid division.

Calculus is different.
You calculate volumes and changes.
You solve differential equations and predict behavior rather than just analyzing the input.

Both are crucial, I would rate them just as important as statistics and programming structure.
>>
>>57207169
You can use the derivative of your Big O to figure out which value is the lowest.
>>
You'll use calc for doing some kinds of programming, not implementing it obviously but knowing about and when to use rates of change and measuring areas drawn between functions is good.

Of course if you're just making webpages then you might as well be pushing a broom at walmart,

calc is a cake walk and you're going to have problems if you cant cut it in 1st year classes like that.
>>
>>57207169
>calculus
>hard

And that's probably Calculus I you're doing. What would you say about Calc III, or partial differentials...
>>
>C in precal
>A in Calc 1
>A in Calc 2

Explain this
>>
>>57210959
Pre-calc has no calc in it. Mostly geometry and algebra.
>>
>>57211043
Yeah makes sense. I bet if I took precal again, same class, same professor, I could get an A. I also didn't study very much.
>>
>>57210959

>A in high school calc
>B in Calc I
>50 on the nose in Calc II
>80 in differential equations so far

Explain this
>>
>>57211093
>A in highschool calc
High school calc is easy
>B in calc 1
Perhaps you had forgotten some concepts over the summer, or time from when you didn't take a math class. Calc 1 in college is a bit more in deptch
>50 on the nose in Calc II
Calc 2 is generally agreed to be much harder than Calc 1. You must know numerous integration techniques, and when to apply them.
>80 in differential equations so far
Idk
>>
>CSbabbies actually take Calculus and Linear Algebra in college instead of high school
>and they struggle with it

Amazing, really.
>>
>>57211118
To be fair, picking up DEs is definitely a lot easier just because I have to use them outside that class too. Barely had to use calculus besides the odd derivative last year, now I'm doing electrical network analysis with math I learned a few weeks earlier.
>>
>>57207169
Why are you taking compsci if you just want to code webpages?

>CS -> correctness and efficiency proofs of algorithms, research, other theoretical stuff
>computer engineering -> designing computer systems and parts
>electrical engineering -> designing circuits, some of which are computer related
>software engineering -> coding up corporate software systems, implementing based on and writing specs
>webdev -> coding webpages, competing for lowest bid with half of India
>>
>>57207764
How do you not need math for software engineering
>>
File: 1430165346789.jpg (16KB, 329x500px) Image search: [Google]
1430165346789.jpg
16KB, 329x500px
>>57211386

I studied computer engineering and now I'm an embedded software engineer for an automotive company. I program our embedded code in C, our interface in C# and do data processing with Python. My electrical background helps a lot with understanding FOC motor control and the pin configurations.

I also had an offer to be a web dev, qa engineer, and I get random interview offers from IOT companies.

It helps that I had a website to host all my shit on.

So yeah, I don't regret my choice at all. I make 60k a year, plenty of benefits, rrsp, and I'm fresh out of university.
>>
>>57211043
it's mostly trig if you want to be specific.
>>
>>57211452
>I make 60k a year,
Thats fucking depressing. In Silicon Valley not even code monkey pajeets get paid that low.

Its usually 75-80 starting out here for webdev.

100+ for full stack
120+ for infosec & or data scientist.
>>
>>57207169
Because college is a business and want more of your money before giving you your degree. I could see calculus and CS going hand in hand for specific applications but it isn't necessary for "coding webpages"
>>
>>57208449
You would also need to know networking skills to set up servers. Assuming large scale web apps here.
>>
>>57211491

That's great friendo but I live in Canada where 60k is pretty decent. My uncle who's a nuclear engineer with 30 years of experience makes 140 and that's in Toronto. Here he'd be making about 110k.
>>
Infosec-related datascience is hot right now. SIEM engineers with mediocre ML knowledge can make ~180k.
>>
Math is not strictly necessary, however, a solid understanding of mathematics can really help you see ways to optimize your code or see shortcuts. It's what sets apart good from bad programmers
>>
>>57211677
>60k canadian dollars
>which is like 45k American dollars

Nunavut?
>>
>>57211717
This.

Pretty much computer code is just math with commands
>>
>>57207454
>>57207444
>>57207536
>>57207622
>>57207764
>>57207856
>>57209072
>>57211412
Can you explain why any kind of maths is a requisite to know how to program??

>>57211717
Explain that a little better senpai

>>57211495
so far this is the answer that makes the most sense, maybe i should consider economics instead of engineering.
>>
This is why I switched to functional programming. To avoid pajeets and idiots like OP.
>>
>>57211877
>Can you explain why any kind of maths is a requisite to know how to program??
Try programming a game engine without maths.
>>
>>57208795
>But knowing that the limit as h approaches 0 of that is the derivative of f(x) is calculus
still pre-calc
>>
>>57211491
>make 100k in SV
>50% tax rate
>2000-3000$/month rent
>traffic all the time

sure 60k a yeah with a house you own for 750$/month and like 20-25 taxrate is fucking depressing
>>
>>57207169

Don't be a fucking monkey.

You can "code webpages" just fine without a working understanding of advanced mathematics, but if you actually want to be something more than someone's code monkey, someone's cog, someone's tool, you need to understand these concepts.
>>
File: 1383332085405.jpg (73KB, 374x750px) Image search: [Google]
1383332085405.jpg
73KB, 374x750px
you dont
>>
>>57212111
> a house you own for 750$/month
I paid that much for a room, not a house.
>>
>tfw bad at math and coding so I'm learning networking

This stuff is pretty fun aside from subnetting (which is just long annoying especially since cisco doesn't allow calculators). If I become a network tech do I need to subnet shit on the regular or is it not that common.
>>
>>57211877
Its a requisite to programming well.

Example: company had a large SQL data base that preformed many joins and counts for analytics and graphs. Majority of the data could be cached and left joining could be replaced with set intersections and counts with cardinality.

A very basic and simple example, but the designer of that architecture did not plan for scalability, a simple application of set theory drastically decreased computation and loading time
>>
>>57212028
That was my first day of calc 1
>>
>>57210412
XD the he did bad in Calc so he can't do comp sci meme
>>
>>57212353
It's probably correct though. Comp.sci is heavy on maths.

It's not the same as a programming / web design course.
>>
>>57212386
I'm in my 3rd year for a comp sci degree and I haven't had to use anything besides maybe statistics and linear algebra for my courses, which are both a joke. You don't need calculus for a computer science degree.
>>
>>57212314
Can you go into more detail about this? I'm intrigued. Have taken discrete math so have basic set theory understanding.
>>
>>57212466
What would you like to know more about it?

I used redis to store primary keys in sets. So for example I had a set of people from a certain state with various careers and I had a set of all engineers in the country. If I wanted all engineers in the state of new York,I could do a set intersection. Then, to get the total number of engineers, I can just do a cardinality operations. O(1)

This method is faster than SQL joins and counts since counts are linear and really slow you down when dealing with millions of entries.

With no background in mathematics, it would be very hard to realize that sets could be applied here
>>
>tfw actually coding shit
>being smart with gui stuff actually requires mathematics
>multiple times I have derived a formula and simplified it, saving computations.
>I jizz every time it works

This shit is Cray, who knew doing all that simplification and deriving formulas would actually be used one day.

Sure, it's not calculus but it's still some math.
>>
>>57207169
so that you can derive zipper types
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.