[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I become a more educated consumer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: MechWarrior-O.jpg (78KB, 590x532px) Image search: [Google]
MechWarrior-O.jpg
78KB, 590x532px
I am newer to making PCs and buying parts and what not.

I do a lot of research before I buy something but I still sometimes come out feeling uneducated about the product. For example, I would like to purchase a RX480 soon for a GPU upgrade to my old R9 280

I have been reading and reading and it seems like the way to go but then I read threads here and people say to skip the 480 and get a nvidia 1060 OR just wait for AMD to release their new cards?

Basically, I am just doing info gathering. What is the best option? Again, I am not too familiar with how GPU manufacturers release cards or which cards out perform which cards. I try to do research though.

I guess my biggest concern is buying a new card and then AMD announces their new card in a month or something.
>>
Best advice you'll ever get: don't listen to /g/.
>>
>>57204481
>Set out a budget.
>Read reviews
>Operate on a "Buy new Products every 3/5/7 years." plan
>Buy new items a week after launch
>Better GPU is more important than CPU
>Brand means nothing mix an EVGA GPU with an MSI motherboard, just make sure they're the best in your budget.

>Don't let the roaring march of time consume you from the inside that you're not living up to your childhood expectations and are disappointing your parents.

>>57204582
Or this.
>>
>>57204582
agreed
>>
>>57204481
Technology advances fast so theresaaays gonna be a new card or anything else, really. Read about it, google shit like gtx 960 vs 970, shit like that. You can also google "nvidia 1060 benchmark" or just anything benchmark really to see how it fares vs other stuff. You can look at the specifications of the product on the websites and google about each invidual aspect to see how shit works in general and compare (dedicated memory in a card does this, cores vs threads in processors, etc) and watch some trusted review videos on youtube.

Theres a lot of info out there, you just gotta google search it. Most important is benchmark imo. I own a gtx 970 and it does pretty good as in run everything at 60fps good quality (except ark survival evolved) so a 1060 is probably more than enough, imo.

Cheers
>>
>>57204582

Okay...

>>57204599

Wait now there is some conflict...
>>
>>57204619

I see. Thanks for the input. One thing that also is confusing me is how a card can have different manufacturers? For example, these two cards

https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphics-11230-00-20G/dp/B00IZXOW80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8

and this

https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphics-21260-00-20G/dp/B01GTYIEG2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8

Are apparently the same card? So the chipset can be the same but these other manufacturers and make changes?
>>
>>57204683
The pcb remains the same. What changes is blower/cooling design and factory overclocks.
>>
File: mypcspecs.png (18KB, 540x397px) Image search: [Google]
mypcspecs.png
18KB, 540x397px
>>57204712

So you can just buy from which ever factory makes the card with what you want? Ultimately, the quality and performance is the same?

I guess ultimately I am just trying to spend my money well and get a accurate upgrade for my computer.
>>
File: msi-r9-290x-perspective.jpg (173KB, 745x479px) Image search: [Google]
msi-r9-290x-perspective.jpg
173KB, 745x479px
>>57204781

> Ultimately, the quality and performance is the same?

In broad terms yes. Though it gets more involved for architectures that respond well to voltage so having better components is worth it if you overclock.
>>
>>57204837

I see. Thanks for the info.

I guess I am going to buy this card. Read reviews. did some bench mark watching on youtube and it seems to be okay.

https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-backplate-Graphics-11260-01-20G/dp/B01J1M4CZG/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8

Has there been any word on when AMD is releasing their new card though?
>>
>>57204898

All AMD have confirmed is that vega will have HBM and be released 1H 2017.
>>
>>57205005

Okay so holding out probably isn't worth it right now. thanks for the info.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.