[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I get a new mobo and CPU, will I need to do a fresh install

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

File: wallpaper-computer-8[1].jpg (207KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper-computer-8[1].jpg
207KB, 1920x1080px
If I get a new mobo and CPU, will I need to do a fresh install of Windows?
>>
>>57201165
Yes. With Linux you don't tough.
>>
>>57201165
install gentoo

but if you cant, sometimes maybe sometimes no

i did change mobo + cpu on one setup and it worked fine

try it out and if it doesnt boot or has problems then do a fresh install
>>
>>57201176
>>57201182
Well, shit. Guess I better go ahead and do one last big back up of my shit, then. Really didn't want to.

Not that big of a deal since I have an SSD and can do it quickly, but this is a little shitty.

Good thing I went ahead and bought Win10 when my hard drive failed and I bought my SSD.
>>
Oh, and you also need to buy a new copy of Windows since you're changing a major component.
>>
>>57201260
Wait... what?

I can't just reinstall off of my retail version? I still have the activation key and everything.
>>
>>57201299
Nope, that key only works for your old mobo+CPU now.

Just install Gentoo
>>
>>57201165
No, unless you change Intel to AMD or vice versa.
>>
>>57201212
you actually bought it? lol

just try it out for fucks sake if it doesnt work copy your data to another drive from a live linux cd or something and do a fresh install, its not rocket science
>>
>>57201212
>Good thing I went ahead and bought Win10

No, that's not a good thing.
>>
>>57201299
No, since Windows generates some hardware IDs on the first installation. If too much changes you have to buy again because Windows thinks you're trying to install on another Computer.
>>
>>57201165
no, you can install linux instead.
>>
>However, Microsoft is now simplifying the process. Beginning with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, you can link your Microsoft account (MSA) with the Windows 10 digital license on your device. The new feature allows you to access the Activation Troubleshooter quickly to re-activate your free upgrade copy of Windows 10.
You have to sign up for Microsoft's bullshit, but yea; you can transfer the license after a significant hardware change according to
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change
>but linux
That wasn't the question you nerds.
>>
My friend changed motherboard only, completely different brand.

Windows 10 booted just fine, he had to do the telephone thing to re activate windows.

He only had to reinstall when he tried to install gears of war 4 from the windows store.
May have been totally unrelated to the mobo change, everything else worked fine, including other store 'apps'.
>>
>>57201358
Oh, that. Yeah. I've done that. Guess I'm good to go, then.

[spoiler]Thanks for giving me a god damned heart attack, /g/.[/spoiler]
>>
>>57201411
What about things like drivers or anything I currently have installed? Will I need to do anything?
>>
>>57201299
>>57201326
>>57201343
You'll have to contact support. Depending on your jurisdiction they have to activate your copy.
>>
>>57201165
no, you can use sysprep/generalize to switch mobo
you may need to reactivate though
>>
>>57201526
>no, you can use sysprep/generalize to switch mobo

Wouldn't it be better to just do a fresh install at that point, though?
>>
>>57201538
no, why?
>>
>>57201546
I mean, if he doesn't really have anything he could lose. (He's a streamer, so I'm guessing the only things he has installed is OBS and games + shit like Spotify and Snaz)
>>
>>57201569
but why reinstall everything when you don't need to?
just wasting time
>>
>>57201589
He also said he's on an SSD. Shit would take seconds and be much less of a hassle.
>>
>>57201463
I activated 3 PCs with one code this way. Just gave them a call, got pajeet on the line, and theyll give you instructions with a code.
>>
>>57201596
>less of a hassle.
less than just running sysprep, swapping the mobo, and being done with it?

might need to install new drivers for the mobo, but you'd need to anyway
>>
i went from an AM3 AMD socket to an LGA 1150 Intel socket on the same windows 7 installation. No other prep work. I just uninstalled every driver beforehand first, and slapped it in there. Windows went literally ape shit when i turned it on with the hardware found and auto installing once the new mobo was in place, but after a few minutes of that i was up and running 100% performing above expectations.

I suppose it works differently for everyone, but the difference in the hardware i had originally and what i upgraded to were massive and it still worked fine.
>>
>>57201165
probably not. i changed my motherboard a while ago and didn't have to do anything.
>>
>>57201664
>undertake
get out slime
>>
There is no definitive answer: Sometimes you have to, sometimes you don't.
I've tried doing it with multiple computers, the result was always different. Sometimes windows would just fuck up itself when changing the mobo for a new one.

Try it by yourself but be prepared to do a fresh install.

btw, I recommend that you just pirate windows
>>
>>57201165
It would be extremely painful.
>>
>>57201712
>btw, I recommend that you just pirate windows
I'm streaming most of my time. I can't risk a live ass raping from the FBI being broadcasted over Twitch.
>>
>>57201783
Absurd thing to worry about, even more absurd to not want it to happen, knowing how publicity and streamers work.
>>
>>57201788
If I want that kind of publicity, I'll just stage a robbery.
>>
>>57201812
its a moot point because it won't happen anyway.
>>
>>57201165
Windows 10 will boot into the finishing installation screen and adapt drivers auto magically.

Windows 7/8 will BSOD and boot loop.

I tried this crossplatform went from Athlon II X4 640 to Intel Skylake I5 6500
>>
>>57202034
>Windows 10 will boot into the finishing installation screen and adapt drivers auto magically.

Really? It just does it? I don't have to do shit?
>>
>>57201165
No
I did take a hdd with a windows installation and put it in another computer, and everything works without any reinstallation
>>
I went from 2500k to 6700k. Uninstalled nvidia drivers, turned PC off, installed new mono CPU ram, booted, windows 10 did a installing new hardware message, rebooted and I was back in wib10 with all my stuff working. Had to reactivate win10 after it said not genuine key message, but after clicking I recently changed hardware it activated fine. Was far easier than imagined, I thought I'd have to reinstall or format windows again like I did in the past.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.