[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux Mint Nvidia Drivers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: th.jpg (5KB, 223x203px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
5KB, 223x203px
Whenever I try to install any Nvidia driver for my GTX 1070 on Linux Mint with Cinnamon, it can't open the file using "the Western (ISO08859-15) character encoding. I don't know what this means. Whenever I try to change the "character encoding" to the only other option, (Current Locale UTF-8) it doesn't work either. No download I have seen has worked to fix this. Please help. On my laptop, every Linux distro I've tried "just werks" but on my desktop, everything is a pain in the ass like this.
>>
Mint fucking sucks
>>
>>57198782
Thanks for the help! :^)
>>
>>57198758
Mint is a bastardization of Ubuntu and often has problems like you're facing. I was using Mint up to 17.1 and had a similar issue. My 980ti wasn't giving me full native resolution. (1440p).

I went to standard Ubunutu 16.04 (MATE Desktop Environment) and everything just werked. Have you tried a different version of Linux. In all honesty it might just be a driver issue and won't be fixed for some time.
>>
>>57198800
Well mint geniunely sucks so that's as much as we're going to help.
Use something else, hopefully not debian related or manjaro.
>>
>>57198833
I prefer Cinnamon to most DEs that I've seen. How is Ubuntu compared to Mint? I tried it with Unity and thought it was awful.

>>57198857
Why not Debian? And what's wrong with Manjaro?
>>
Also, does anyone here know what the fuck "character encoding" is?
>>
try memedora with cinnamon installed and report back
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-10-23_00-51-27.png (855KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-10-23_00-51-27.png
855KB, 1366x768px
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=225870

one of the reasons Mint and Ubuntu are good is there are a shitload of people using them and almost every issue is a google search away from being fixed

people knocking mint because of driver issue as if he would have LESS issues on some distro like Arch

please
>>
>>57198991

posted wrong link

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=117643
>>
>>57198872

Install Ubuntu 16.04 form the mini ISO then install cinnamon
>>
>>57198758
Did you just try to open .run file with text editor? kek
You have something called "additional drivers" or something like that on mint
>>
>>57198881
You must be kidding...
>>
>>57198758
>>57200160
Holy fuck, he really tried opening the .run file he downloaded from the nvidia website in a text editor.
Mint babies are supposed to click through the settings menu and choose outdated nvidia kernel modules from there.

>not using a pacman based distro and simply running
sudo pacman -S nvidia{,-settings} {,lib32-}nvidia{-libgl,-utils}
>>
>>57198758
Use Manjaro, it's very Nvidia friendly.
>>
>>57200377
Any arguments?
Of course not.
>>
>>57200419
I've ran Manjaro with my GTX 760 for about 2 years now and I haven't ran into any problems with Nvidia's driver.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.