[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

E-readers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: top-5-ereaders.png (335KB, 1000x656px) Image search: [Google]
top-5-ereaders.png
335KB, 1000x656px
What's the best, low cost, basic e-reader?

Looking for something with an e-ink screen, good battery life and a decent amount of storage so I don't have to constantly take stuff off to put new stuff on.

Don't care about, wifi connectivity, backlight, touch screen, or capabilities other than viewing pdf's and other ebook file formats.
>>
any ereader fulfils those criteria

pick up a used basic kindle with buttons on ebay, they're actually nicer than the new touchscreen models and dirt cheap

just make sure the screen has no black spots
>>
>>57198089
yup. My fav ereader is still the prs-505. They dont make ereaders feel as nice to hold anymore since everything has gotten so cheap.(the screens are much better, but its all in spongy plastic, and most dont have physical buttons to change the page)

Find a kindle 3(keyboard). It was the first 'cheap' ereader, and its build quality is better than anything put out today, other than the really high-end ones(like aura HD, or whatever kindle calls their fancy one now)
>>
Get a kobo glo hd and swap the internal microSD out for a bigger one
>>
>>57198144
>kindle 3
Looks pretty good and only around 25 bucks on amazon and ebay. 4GB is kind of annoying since some of the PDF's I have are massive (like 3GB), but I can probably make it work. No physical page turning buttons would be a total deal breaker, can't imagine why anyone would buy into that.

>>57198241
Looks nice but too expensive for me, I'm looking for something dirt cheap.

Thanks guys.
>>
>>57198378
how can you read pdf on this thing, do you have laser scanner eyes?

i specifically had to learn where to pirate mobi for this thing. love it though
>>
File: kindle-paperwhite-2015.jpg (62KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
kindle-paperwhite-2015.jpg
62KB, 480x480px
>>57198392
hmm, didn't think of that. Right now I use an 8 inch windows tablet (which sucks) to read pdfs and I basically never have to zoom to read smaller text (I mostly read journal articles I download through my college and some manga) but a 6 inch screen might fuck that up, especially if it's relatively low res.

Anyone have experience with the 3rd gen paperwhite? About twice the cost of the kindle 3 but it's got a 300ppi screen. Wish it had a slightly larger screen.
>>
>>57198089
>buy a Swindle
Nope, fuck lock-in
>>
>>57198515
I HATED the .mobi format too... Thing is, you can covnert epubs to .mobi on the go with calibre(*literally* takes maybe 5 seconds per book on a shitty netbook) and the formatting stays the same.

I make a point of keeping all my books in epub format. If i drag it onto my kindle(instead of using aldiko on android, or a sony reader) i just accept that the transfer will take a few extra seconds. Otherwise its no an issue at all.

**note: I dont *BUY* any books from anywhere. I could totally see this being a problem if you didnt want to purchase shit thats .mobi. I'm stealing everything left-and-right tho, so for me it only is a matter of waiting for the conversion.
>>
Just got a nook simple touch for 25 at the thrift shop. Loaded the rise and fall of the third Reich and reading that shit as we speak.
>>
>>57197958
Kobo so I'm not stuck with Amazon's bullshit store. I have no problem buying modern books from writers who are still alive. I'd just prefer to avoid DRM as much as possible. Sideloading is no issue with Kobo and they do allow DRM-Free uploads to their store.
>>
you can find Kindle Keyboards for $20 sometimes. same screen as the base Kindle that's $80.
>>
I got a Kobo H2O with 6.8" screen. Compared it to Kindle and preferred the larger size.

I really appreciate the bigger screen real estate.
>>
>>57199455
I've got one of them too, picked it up after my old kindle died. 10/10 would recommend.

Also if you're in the US there's some big Canadian bookstore that sells Kobo online and you can raep them with the exchange rate (it's basically a 30% discount).
>>
>>57198378
>4GB is kind of annoying since some of the PDF's I have are massive (like 3GB)
Not a problem. Most of these e-readers are shit for reading PDFs. They get scaled to fit the screen, and any means to zoom in is a clunky shitfest.

You won't be using them for that purpose, get a tablet instead for PDFs.
>>
Get a kobo, install kobo start menu + koreader

Enjoy your 10/10 device.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.