[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wait for kaby or buy skylake

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

I'm going to buy a new PC at the end of November. I was gonna get an i7 6700k but now that kaby lake is coming out, should I wait?
>>
File: 20161023_111443.png (407KB, 1286x1151px) Image search: [Google]
20161023_111443.png
407KB, 1286x1151px
These are my planned specs. Anything here that I should change?
>>
>>57196272
IIRC, this release now is just for laptop/low-wattage versions. Desktop versions won't be until H2 or Q2 or something like that 2017. So just get a 6700k on the cheap now with a sale. I got it just the other day for $395 Canadian from ncix ebay. I don't expect it to be much cheaper than that during the holiday sales.
>>
>>57196279
What currency is that in? Thoughts:

1. Expensive case, but if that's what you want, all the more power to you.
2. If you don't plan on going SLI, the the power supply is overkill. Grab a good quality one at 550 to 650 watts max. Maybe an EVGA Supernova G2 series; they've been going on sale recently and some retailers have mail-in-rebates on them.

Can't comment on prices since I don't know the country.
>>
>>57196272
wait till kaby comes out to buy skylake so price is lower
>>
>>57196381
This. I was going to get a 1070, but its release pushed 980 tis right down making them better value with more support/experience to make use of.

You'll get the same here. Unless there's some big fuck off difference in hardware for something you specifically need like PCIe lanes, memory, that sort of thing, you're looking at a 5-10% difference in performance. But here's the thing, you are probably going to get a 10-30% cheaper CPU.

Better price:performance ratio without any meaningful compromise.
>>
>>57196381
Prices never drop more than $20 or so.
>>
>>57196381
you will forever be locked in a cycle of waiting to buy if you follow this advice
>>
>>57196497
Again: prices for NIB intel processors do not drop a substantial amount

https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16819117369

2 years later. Its still the same price.
>>
>>57196348
Currency is australian

I'm not really sure if I will go the SLI route in future, but I'm not ruling it out so I thought I might as well save the hassle of having to rewire everything if i do decide to do it

This leads me to ask, is SLI worth it?
>>
>>57196272
Buy it when you need/want it

Better to just get it (when you need to) than wait -- what if you waited 6 mos and there was some sort of Kaby Lake bug?
>>
>>57196549
Is the first response you're referring to from another thread? I didn't recommend any specific CPUs or websites.

In any case, I wouldn't advise OP to wait another year for some 5% improvement because then they'd be back in 2017 asking if they should wait for Cannonlake, and so on.

Price:performance ratio was the main point of my post. OP just seek out a sale or mobo/CPU bundle deal for a processor in the performance range you're looking at.

Anything else really is just for indulgent/e-dick purposes unless OP has foregone mentioning specific needs.
>>
>>57196642
Purely gaming

General advice seems pretty reasonable. I'm gonna buy skylake given that CPU performance doesn't really seem to change that much and I want the PC now
>>
If you wait for new hardware to come out, by the time you buy it there will already be even newer hardware that you'll want to wait for again. Go ahead and get the 6700k at the end of November.
>>
I already got a 6700k I opted to not wait but that's mainly because I don't care if I have the best I just want parts with good performance
>>
>>57196568
What monitor resolution and framerate are you targeting?

Unless you're targeting 4k@60fps@ultra or 1440p@144fps@ultra settings, the 1070 will likely be more than capable. Probably little reason to deal with SLI and it's compatibility hassles.
>>
>>57196272
Kaby lake is literally rebranded skylake. You're fine with either.
>>
>>57196381
Yeah because sandy bridge is dirt cheap right now right?
>>
>>57196272
what do you need a 6700k for? its useless if ur not doing video production.. just get a 6600k and oc it
>>
>>57196279
>fugly ass case. >spending more than 100 on a case
>230 power supply
>overkill as fuck
>230 power supply
>230 motherboar
Why are you deliberately getting expensive parts
>>
>>57198042
I play a tonne of arma 3 and want to play gta v and witcher 3
>>
>>57198103
Its in aussie dollars

The case looks nice imo, was gonna go with an inwin 509 but its a bit barebones and I prefer white to fit the colour scheme
>>
>>57198267
w8 for kaby u need as much st performance as you can get for arma 3 and fast ram helps too, you can rewrite arma 3 engine on javascript and still gain some performance.
>>
>>57196272
>kaby lake
WINDOWS 10 ONLY!

so fuck no
>>
Wait for ZEN at least
don't buy anything yet
>>
>>57196272
Kaby Lake looks like it's going to be Skylake with a factory OC. However, if you are willing to wait you should wait for Zen. No guarantees on price or performance, but it's nice to have options.
>>
>>57199349
>>57199358
Seeing that you play arma 3 buy zen only if it has better Single thread performance than a 7700k.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.