[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

No, seriously,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

How do you people put up with this shit?

Goal: Set up a dedicated box for radio studio control

T-5D: Download Rivendell, literally the only thing that does what I need
Oh, it wants a version of QT that Ubuntu randomly decided to stop packaging. That's okay, I can just go to their website and download the package myself.

So I download it, dpkg it, oh, need more dependencies.

Okay, so about 2 hours of doing manual dependency resolution because of Canonical's OCD, I finally have all the packages I need. ./configure aaaand...

Nope, still not finding QT. Turns out, I need a very specific version of QT 3. Erase all that shit I downloaded and do it again.

2 more hours pass.

Finally have the right packages. ./configure

Wait for an hour or so for the compile to finish. OPEN SOURCE IS AWESOME. I FEEL SO FREE.

Compile is done. Go dig around for a bunch of conf files, most of which weren't actually created yet (++ discoverability guise) so I can set up this fucking package and the fucking audio.

Meanwhile, on my Windows stream box, go to JACK's website, download the EXE, run it, and I'm fucking done.

Meanwhile, back on the Linux box, smack my head as I realize that the first time I compiled this fucking thing, I forgot to grab the JACK dev libraries. It can't see the audio interface I need to send sound from the studio machine to the stream machine. Fuck.

Download jack dev libraries, manually erase all of the rivendell stuff because fuck easy uninstallation, and start compiling again. Pic related.

Okay, let's get the sound working. Set JACK to net mode on the linux box, daemon mode on the windows stream box. Start the windows daemon.. it runs. Start the linux daemon.. pic related.

Every fucking step of this fucking process is like walking into a rake on the ground and getting smacked in the face. How do you people deal with this? Do you just tell yourselves AT LEAST IT WAS FREEEEEE?
>>
>>57194477
IT GETS BETTER
THE COMPILE FAILED EVEN THOUGH THE CONFIG SCRIPT FOUND IT

AHAHA WHY IS LINUX SOFTWARE SO SHIT
>>
>not using Arch or Gentoo
There's your problem
>>
yeah you should have read the Debian documentation and learned that you can install it with just typing a single line. since you posted this I installed it to test if it works and mine is working better than what you have achieved in 4 hours. the perks of not being an idiot.
>>
>>57194742
>documentation
the docs are for installing on 12.04, there is nothing for 16, and most of the libraries don't exist anymore.
>>
>>57194477
>not using Ubuntu Studio
It's literally designed to do this shit out of the box. You dumb nigger.
>>
>>57194477
>T-5D: Download Rivendell, literally the only thing that does what I need
I'm curious why you need such a specific software and couldn't use something supported natively?
>>
>>57194779
Oh great, it's ubuntu with JACK preinstalled. How useful. Tell me again how that's any different from just apt-getting the fucking thing in the first place? Fucking faggot.

Nevermind the fact that rivendell isn't in the repos, so I still get to play the part of a human dpkg to grab all the dependencies by hand.

BUT AT LEAST ITS FREEEEEEEE
>>
>>57194763

No, Debian 12.04 or 16 don't even exist. You're either a time traveler or a tech illiterate person that doesn't understand what he's doing.
>>
>>57194809
You know any other radio automation packages that mere mortals can afford? I'm all ears.

This is for a nonprofit, so buying shit unless it's ridiculously cheap isn't doable.
>>
>>57194822
Did you perhaps bother to read the screenshot and see that I am not running vanilla debian?
>>
>>57194822
it says kernel ubuntu lmao
>>
http://debian.tryphon.eu/
>>
>>57194851

>I'm using Ubuntu you stupid retard, learn to read

Exactly my point, you know so little about what you're trying to do that you picked the wrong distro. If you had taken 3 minutes to look it up like I did you would've found out that in Debian you can install it in 3 minutes with a single line. This message was pretyped at 5:20 and I will post it after you reply saying exatcly what I want you to say just to show you just how fucking dumb you are.
>>
>>57194864
ctrl+f
xenial
0 results found
>>
>>57194868
>picked the wrong distro

The website claims that Ubuntu is explicitly supported. In fact, packages exist for the last LTS.

But I'm not running the last LTS, am I? Funny, I could go grab Simian, something that runs on WinXP, and I'd be willing to bet that it just fucking works.

>your os is too new lol

is not acceptable.
>>
>>57194897
https://github.com/waynemerricks/rivendellubuntuxenial
>>
>>57194933

>I could go grab Simian, something that runs on WinXP, and I'd be willing to bet that it just fucking works

See how fucking stupid you are? You knowingly choose the hard way and then bitch about it, thanks for proving my point.
>>
>>57194946
>https://github.com/waynemerricks/rivendellubuntuxenial

Jesus. That's basically what I did by hand, but even *MORE* complicated, since they're compiling QT by hand, and patching it, and patching other libraries, rather than grabbing the 12.04 libraries.

..I think I'm just gonna have to ask the boss if we can run the last LTS. This is pathetic.
>>
>>57194946
This seems to be exactly what op needs?
>>
>>57194818
It's a distro literally configured already so you don't have to bother your tiny nigger brain with these issues. One could imagine you'd be grateful for that, but instead here you are dragging your fat fucking fingers across the keyboard. Way to go champ.
>>
>>57195006
>you chose to do it the hard way
>something matters on loonix that doesn't matter on windows

kys
>>
>>57195048

Well in Windows it would've worked flawlessly in minutes and we all know it. It's your choice to become Lincucked but you don't get to bitch afterwards because you knew exactly what to expect. If on top of that you're a retard and can't do your research properly, GNU/Linux is not for you.
>>
>>57195038
Christ boy. It has the same JACK I just apt-got on the fucking screenshot.That is not helpful.
>>
File: muhnips.png (205KB, 354x528px) Image search: [Google]
muhnips.png
205KB, 354x528px
>debian
lol
layman -a proaudio
emerge rivendell
>>
Why don't you just use Windows? I don't get these threads.
>>
>>57195246
You can't use JACK on Windows.
>>
>>57195246
>I don't get why technology enthusiasts use an operating system for technology enthusiasts
Leave /g/.
>>
File: explorer_2016-10-22_16-58-51.png (178KB, 2115x555px) Image search: [Google]
explorer_2016-10-22_16-58-51.png
178KB, 2115x555px
>>57195303
anon pls
>>
Why do people get so upset when they realize they're computer illiterate? Is it because you thought were capable and realized you didn't have the patience to learn something new?
>>
File: sheep.jpg (145KB, 650x488px) Image search: [Google]
sheep.jpg
145KB, 650x488px
>>57195319
lol k now route audio from microsoft edge to a sink
>>
>>57194477
I don't really know a lot about what you're talking about but...

>Oh, it wants a version of QT that Ubuntu randomly decided to stop packaging. That's okay, I can just go to their website and download the package myself.

QT3 is 15 years old. Last release of QT3 was 12 years ago.
>>
>>57195410
I own computers with OSes older than that still doing productive work. Whats your point?
>>
>>57195471
>Ubuntu randomly decided to stop packaging

It's deprecated software, so not really "randomly".
>>
>>57195507
>deprecated

Meaning "still works, but we don't want to fix it". Which is really stupid in this case, because it STILL WORKS AS IS WITH NO MODIFICATION. There was literally no reason not to leave in in the damn repos for people to pull down if they needed it.

This problem was caused ENTIRELY, not by bit rot, not by new shit not working with old shit, but due to Canonical's "iz deprcated" autism.
>>
>>57195507
>Your house was built 20 years ago, best tear that shit down anon. It's deprecated. What do you mean you live in it just fine? It's too old.

linuxfags will defend this
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.